Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Help ID this guy -- caused a bike crash sending 2 to hospital

Post Thanks / Like

1/2 wheeling to show dominance? What a nice way to muck up a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    See, that wouldn't work with me because of my ignorance. If someone halfwheels me up a hill, I assume he wants to pass but can't pull it off. If he wants to make me feel bad he should just pass and then accelerate as we reach the top!

Then again, anyone half-wheeling me to assert dominance would feel mighty silly when everyone else on the trail passes the both of us!
    No, you wouldn't half-wheel someone random. You'd do it on a spirited group ride, on the road, where you have plenty of space to spread out.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    No, you wouldn't half-wheel someone random. You'd do it on a spirited group ride, on the road, where you have plenty of space to spread out.
    So you wouldn't half wheel someone up the dark side of Reddish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    So you wouldn't half wheel someone up the dark side of Reddish?
    It's all mind games and treachery. Going up Reddish, if you think someone might be stronger than you, one tactic would be to go extra hard to half-wheel them for the first couple minutes while pretending that you're taking it easy, then once they're resigned to the fact that you seem stronger, you can then dictate a slower, more sustainable pace.

Post Thanks / Like

to further elucidate the more ELITE intricacies of half-wheeling, here are some tactical considerations:

if following the lead rider in a group of racers, half-wheeling allows you to stay in the lead rider's blind spot.

by staying in the lead rider's blind spot, you can ATTACK and gain a second or two before the lead rider can respond.

the half-wheeling rider can react to any accelerations by the lead rider without having to go around the lead rider.

the half-wheeling rider can still use a small amount of drafting - particularly if there's a crosswind.

the half-wheeling rider can still see the lead rider's face and will constantly be watching to see if mock agony changes to true agony, especially on climbs. if the half-wheeling rider sees true agony, ATTACK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    to further elucidate the more ELITE intricacies of half-wheeling, here are some tactical considerations:

the half-wheeling rider can still see the lead rider's face and will constantly be watching to see if mock agony changes to true agony, especially on climbs. if the half-wheeling rider sees true agony, ATTACK.
    I do this to car drivers everyday on the busy climb up Bradley Rd into Bethesda. To be honest, I'm sure the tactic works for me.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

if following the lead rider in a group of racers, half-wheeling allows you to stay in the lead rider's blind spot.

by staying in the lead rider's blind spot, you can ATTACK and gain a second or two before the lead rider can respond.

the half-wheeling rider can react to any accelerations by the lead rider without having to go around the lead rider.

the half-wheeling rider can still use a small amount of drafting - particularly if there's a crosswind.

Doesn't half-wheeling dictate that you are in front of the other rider? So you'd have to be the lead rider? Guess I only considered it as two riders and not a larger group.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this is race tactics and not shop ride cat 6.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    I hope this is race tactics and not shop ride cat 6.
    Shop ride Cat6 tactics are much less refined, and more like:

if the ... anything ... ATTACK!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Shop ride Cat6 tactics are much less refined, and more like:

if the ... squirrel! ... ATTACK!!!
    There fixed it for you.