Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help ID this guy -- caused a bike crash sending 2 to hospital

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help ID this guy -- caused a bike crash sending 2 to hospital

From a friend's post.

Yesterday I was testing a Fly6 camera during the Bike Rack group ride. We were close to Military Rd on Beach Dr, when a random cyclist decided to cut in between the line, clipping the front wheel of the person behind me. A cyclist hit and run: he saw the accident, did not bother to stop. Perhaps you may see the rider of that silver/blue Pinarello in your rides: http://youtu.be/eTTGroH8BZI

Rider appears at about :42

If you can ID this person, please contact the Bike Rack (202) 387-2453 so they can pass the info on to the injured.

Let's all be more careful and courteous out there. Jeez.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry From someone who was on the ride

The guy was the 'leap frogging' type: does not like to be passed. The group passed him once and he rushed to the head of the group, then started dropping back, followed by this final move. The worst is that as he passed the person leading the group, he quipped something about riders needing better bike handling skills. Someone should have a word with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kbikeva View Post
    From a friend's post.

Yesterday I was testing a Fly6 camera during the Bike Rack group ride. We were close to Military Rd on Beach Dr, when a random cyclist decided to cut in between the line, clipping the front wheel of the person behind me. A cyclist hit and run: he saw the accident, did not bother to stop. Perhaps you may see the rider of that silver/blue Pinarello in your rides: http://youtu.be/eTTGroH8BZI

Rider appears at about :42

If you can ID this person, please contact the Bike Rack (202) 387-2453 so they can pass the info on to the injured.

Let's all be more careful and courteous out there. Jeez.
    This incident frustrates and upsets me for a couple reasons. No question the fellow who caused the crash should have stopped. Also, he should have been more cautious when moving to the left. He did signal his move in a way many people do, though the same signal is also used to say "I'm stopping" or "debris / pothole on trail" or even "my hand is going numb."

But I also feel the fellow who took the spill should have been more vigilant and maybe should have dropped back a bit. This is why overlapping wheels are a bad thing. Even granting that the guy who fell is 100% in the right by whatever laws and etiquette rules apply, we all need to be alert because we don't know what the next person will do. Every time I go out I pray that (1) I don't do something dumb that hurts somebody, and (2) if someone else does something dumb, I'll be alert enough to react and avoid.

Post Thanks / Like

His hand gesture just seemed arrogant to me. I mean I guess people do this type of move in pelotons (none I've ridden in), but I've never known anyone who just HAD to get over right now just so he could pass somebody. If someone puts out a stop sign to me like that I'd be more taken aback and surprised and probably would not immediately drop back either. It's the car version of - "I need to get over because if I don't I can't pass people, you're in my way, and I'm coming over anyway, so watch out. Dick move. He could have waited until the other guy passed.

Sorry, I don't recognize him.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't think one can blame the person behind for not dropping back more/faster. It looks like he did slow down when the guy signaled, but hitting the brakes hard in a paceline like that is just as likely to cause an accident for the person behind. The guy moved over way too quickly without ensuring that it was actually clear to do so -- and for no apparent safety reason (e.g. to avoid hitting a person, car, or hole in the road, etc.) What a jackhole. Sorry, I don't recognize him either.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just shocked at that video. The guy was too impatient to safely get over which caused other riders to go down and he failed to stop?! WTF?

I really hope this guy can be ID'ed and held liable for the injuries (and bike damage) to those he caused to go down.

Occasionally Arlington, VA. But mainly in Lima, Peru.
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Will keep an eye out for him. These people really annoy me. Poor bike handling skills and not even the decency to stop after causing an accident.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, I don't think one can blame the person behind for not dropping back more/faster. It looks like he did slow down when the guy signaled, but hitting the brakes hard in a paceline like that is just as likely to cause an accident for the person behind. The guy moved over way too quickly without ensuring that it was actually clear to do so -- and for no apparent safety reason (e.g. to avoid hitting a person, car, or hole in the road, etc.) What a jackhole. Sorry, I don't recognize him either.
    No argument with any of that.

Post Thanks / Like

look for him on strava flyby
    http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone did a screen capture and threw it up to the original thread (on Facebook).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9049100&type=1