Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hill Climbing

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hill Climbing

The Kid wants to climb hills. Last thursday we went to the GAP trail. Apparently climbing a 2% grade for 14 miles wasnt his idea of fun. Any recommendations of where I can run The Kid up and down a mountain - you know, a nice safe trail or path or something (ie not Skyline). We will probably go tomorrow (thursday) if anyone else wants to waste their day.

Post Thanks / Like

Just turn him loose in Barcroft. Repeats up Jay Miller, Tallwod, Whispering Pine ... You could stay at the bottom with a stopwatch, beer, and a cowbell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KayakCyndi View Post
    Just turn him loose in Barcroft. Repeats up Jay Miller, Tallwod, Whispering Pine ... You could stay at the bottom with a stopwatch, beer, and a cowbell.
    Just got asked the same thing from someone else, is there a new strava challenge?
    You can go up & down at sugarloaf all day long. 400 ft of climbing each run, but someone un-fun flagged the segment (the climbing segment).

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Rt. 601 up to Mt. Weather isn't a "nice safe trail or path", but I'd say it's a nice, safe, barely-used road that is quite lovely and a pretty good challenge. You can either do the Bluemont Loop, or just a quick up and over and back. There's even a nice parking lot right at the base on the north end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcv View Post
    Just got asked the same thing from someone else, is there a new strava challenge?
    Actually, yes.

http://www.strava.com/challenges/cts-bucket-list-2014

For you it must be completed on the fixie though to count.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup to Sugar loaf. Think he thinks he would be bored. I think it is a three mile loop? It's a good option.

Yup to Mt Weather. That looks positively cruel (sweeeeeeet!). Have you done it?

I really dont want him wandering country roads by himself.

He got off of the GAP trail last week at Frostburg and went up and down the mountain. He hasnt shown up on Strava today so assume he is out visiting Purceville.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post

Yup to Mt Weather. That looks positively cruel (sweeeeeeet!). Have you done it?
    Indeed.

http://www.strava.com/activities/37297227

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Vesuvius. Hwy 56 up the back side of the Blue Ridge. Do it the manly way: with full touring gear like all the other folks on the TransAmerica trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KayakCyndi View Post
    Actually, yes.

http://www.strava.com/challenges/cts-bucket-list-2014

For you it must be completed on the fixie though to count.
    Ooooh, this one goes well after school starts full time and I'll have nothing to do during the day...will probably make a run at it.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Mt Weather + Naked Mtn is really nice. Murderers Row in Frederick area is even better / more climbing.