Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe to lock a bike next to high traffic establishments even for a few minutes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    If you are using a cable lock, then it doesn't matter how many people are around the bike, they wouldn't notice a thing. My bike was stolen in a busy area around lunch hour and the people close to the bike rack didn't notice anything unusual. Get a U-Lock if you don't have one.
    What did you lock up your bike with when it got stolen? I don't have a u-lock so I'll have to get one.

I wasn't planning on leaving my bike for an extended period of time so getting a bike locker isn't something I want to do.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. View Post
    What did you lock up your bike with when it got stolen? I don't have a u-lock so I'll have to get one.

I wasn't planning on leaving my bike for an extended period of time so getting a bike locker isn't something I want to do.
    I used a cable lock with 4 numbers combination, and it was stolen in the span of 20 minutes. I learned later that thieves could break into any combinations lock without tools, and this includes U-Locks with numbers. This video shows someone breaking into combinations cable lock in 65 seconds without tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m32HP5E8Ak8

They are mechanical, and that's what make them "easily" defeatable.

This video shows various cable and U-lock and how to break them with a big tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUf4h0Lv_8

This video shows cutting a "big" cable lock with small hand tool within 2 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqMbNOYtiEg

Finally, this video shows why it's pointless to rely on people to notice that a bike is being stolen. The guy in the video used various methods to steal his own bike in a busy place without anyone calling the cops, until he used a power tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGttmR2DTY8

If you don't like the weight of a U-Lock, then get any reasonably strong lock and a GPS tracker.

Post Thanks / Like

Since this post went up my good friend Ross had his bike stolen, and in a VERY bizarre twist the thief just happened to ride it and lock it up the next day outside his office. Short story, even though he could identify the bike by serial numbers and pictures the Police would do nothing as the bike was never officially registered.... UGHH... Read his blog!

http://rosscott.tumblr.com/post/9516...y-coincidences

Post Thanks / Like

wtf is "officially registered"? I take it he doesn't have a receipt?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, that sucks; my road bike doesn't even have a serial no ...

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's also good to have photos of your bike's serial number, rather than just photos of the bike itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    wtf is "officially registered"? I take it he doesn't have a receipt?
    Yeah, I thought the same thing.... he couldn't find his receipt at home but he is contacting the bike shop to see if they have any old records. It made me wonder what would happen if this happened to me... bike stolen in a different jurisdiction to where it was registered.... can DC check with Arlco, etc? I told him to at least remove the pedals, seat, etc so it can't easily be ridden.... it's so stupid, it's just sitting outside his office with two locks on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like he should just get a saw and steal it back. What's the thief going to do, report the stolen bike? By the very nature of this thread, it seems like he could remove the other person's lock pretty quickly.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Since when is "officially registered" a requirement of establishing personal property ownership?