Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: VDOT asking for input about curb cuts

Post Thanks / Like

Default VDOT asking for input about curb cuts

I wasn't sure what part of the forum this falls into. Good curb cuts are cyclists' friends too...please share! Note response date is Aug 31. This is as I received it from a friend at Easter Seals:

NEVER MIND -- VDOT withdrew the survey. Apparently it got out without proper vetting.
    Last edited by Kbikeva; 08-05-2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Survey Withdrawn

Post Thanks / Like

It's mostly getting to the point where curb cuts are entirely focused on accesibility and are cyclist-hostile. USDOT now says that returned curbs are preferable to flares.

(The design on the right rather than the design on the left.)
    Name:  figure727.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  31.8 KB

So if VDOT does any work on curb cuts, expect it to end up looking like a little maze rather than anything you might want to bike on.

Post Thanks / Like

My first suggestion would be mandating them where sidewalks end. Rt 1 is littered with sidewalks to nowhere that have no curb cuts. There is one down right before Ft. Belvoir next to a hotel. It's a good 9" off the ground and abruptly stops for absolutely no reason. Of course, I've raised the issue of an entirely missing pedestrian, let alone cyclist, infrastructure on Rt 1 in this stretch from 495 to Ft. Belvoir, but it's made no difference I'm afraid.