I should read more of these studies

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MEME 2.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	6450

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbiehere View Post
    [...]I find that my thighs still hurt ALOT! Is that normal?? My thighs always feel tight/stiff when I get off my bike.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body. Seriously, though, I'd say it's normal. My 7-7.5 mile commute is pretty flat with the exception of a few overpasses and bridges, and my legs used to have a good "just worked out" sort of pain and tightness to them after my commute when I first started. Now after 5 years of commuting, I have to go A LOT further than my commute distance to bring on said sensation. It might help to warm down the last few minutes of your commute by soft pedaling a little. Otherwise, just keep riding and with time it'll take longer, harder rides to really fatigue/pain your thighs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingfool View Post
    Pain is weakness leaving the body. Seriously, though, I'd say it's normal. My 7-7.5 mile commute is pretty flat with the exception of a few overpasses and bridges, and my legs used to have a good "just worked out" sort of pain and tightness to them after my commute when I first started. Now after 5 years of commuting, I have to go A LOT further than my commute distance to bring on said sensation. It might help to warm down the last few minutes of your commute by soft pedaling a little. Otherwise, just keep riding and with time it'll take longer, harder rides to really fatigue/pain your thighs.
    I'll take your word for it!

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingfool View Post
    You should google this forum and WWW for "proper bike fit" to get an idea of how a bike should fit in case your's needs an adjustment (e.g., saddle height, handlebars, etc). Small changes can sometimes make a big difference.