Likes Likes:  84
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New female biker - University of Maryland to 17th and G NW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post
    Hello and welcome -- like Steve, I am an LCI and teach classes with WABA. I would second his recommendation that you take City Cycling rather than Adult Learn to Ride. CC splits the group in two -- mostly self selected, so you can sort yourself into the group working on basic skills. LTR is for those who truly never learned to ride at all. There is a long, long waiting list for that class. There will be instructors at CC who will work with you where you are. Have fun!

Liz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought my bike!

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbiehere View Post
    Just bought my bike!
    Pictures or it didnt happen!

Post Thanks / Like

The Giant Escape 3W is now being marketed as the "Alight 3' under Giant's new women's line called "Liv."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by newbiehere; 07-26-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I did it!!!

**Update**

After riding back and forth a few hundred feet near my house last weekend, I got on my bike yesterday afternoon and rode to 17th and G and back with a partner! I just wanted to practice my commute to get more familiar with the route. Few things:

1. I joined the NW Branch trail via University Blvd (somehow I missed Standford hill). When I reached 38th Ave, I followed Jeff's route to get to Metropolitan Branch Trail.

2. Holy hell, that hill on 20th St NE is horrible. I changed to a lower gear and still ended up walking up the hill in exhaustion with my bike. I'm not sure how I'm going to do that every morning.

3. As Jeff suggested I took R street, then Q street eastbound to the 15th Street cycletrack down to the White House and merged onto 17th and G.

4. I love the 15th St cycletrack! It's so convenient!

Post Thanks / Like

2. Holy hell, that hill on 20th St NE is horrible. I changed to a lower gear and still ended up walking up the hill in exhaustion with my bike. I'm not sure how I'm going to do that every morning.
    Practice, practice, practice! Just start by allowing lots of extra time. Walk your bike and/or stop to rest when you need to. It's amazing how much less steep the hills will get after you've been biking for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Practice, practice, practice! Just start by allowing lots of extra time. Walk your bike and/or stop to rest when you need to. It's amazing how much less steep the hills will get after you've been biking for a while.
    I can't agree more. On my commute home there used to be 2 hills that killed me. I walked my bike ALOT at the start. But after about 6 weeks of commuting I was able to ride up them without a problem. It just took practice, getting stronger, and also learning how to use my bike's gears correctly--for example, I used to avoid using the smallest of my 3 chain rings and I also wouldn't change gears early enough when encountering a steep hill, both of which I needed to master before I could handle steep hills. If you can tackle those issues, and give yourself some time to build up strength, you'll be up the hill in no time. You'll probably still be winded (4 months in, I still am at least), but you'll make it to the top and feel like a champion

Also, my fiancee got me a book, "Every Woman's Guide to Cycling" when I started biking. It was really useful in teaching me how and when to change gears, basic bike maintenance and developing training plans. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a good resource.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, for some reason there are a lot of people who strain so they look like death to get up a hill instead of shifting. Just shift--your knees will thank you, and you aren't getting bonus points for climbing below walking pace just because you're in the big ring. When you're stronger and spinning out the low gear, then try doing it one gear higher.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Yes, for some reason there are a lot of people who strain so they look like death to get up a hill instead of shifting. Just shift--your knees will thank you, and you aren't getting bonus points for climbing below walking pace just because you're in the big ring. When you're stronger and spinning out the low gear, then try doing it one gear higher.
    A lot easier to do after you finally buy a bike with modern shifters Plus get the hang of shifting in general.

Post Thanks / Like

**Update**

After riding back and forth a few hundred feet near my house last weekend, I got on my bike yesterday afternoon and rode to 17th and G and back with a partner! I just wanted to practice my commute to get more familiar with the route. Few things:

1. I joined the NW Branch trail via University Blvd (somehow I missed Standford hill). When I reached 38th Ave, I followed Jeff's route to get to Metropolitan Branch Trail.

3. As Jeff suggested I took R street, then Q street eastbound to the 15th Street cycletrack down to the White House and merged onto 17th and G.

4. I love the 15th St cycletrack! It's so convenient!
    Congrats and welcome to the bike commuter fold! A bit of practice and you'll be riding up hills like nobody's business. I used to huff and puff up some big hills in the Rosslyn area on the Custis trail (they're often discussed here) and now I can spin up them with almost "normal" breathing. Maybe you'll even start seeking out hills? Or perhaps a future "Kill Bill" Century rider