Likes Likes:  84
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New female biker - University of Maryland to 17th and G NW

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone. You have no idea how much I appreciate this. I've always envied people who can commute long distances by bike. Hopefully, now, I can be one of those people . It's nice to have such a supportive community.

I wish I could get on the Facebook page for WABA, but I have deactivated my Fb account for the rest of the year and would like to stay away. I just wish the Adult cycling education classes were being offered. I test rode my future bike and I'm a little rusty so I was hoping to get a refresher. Nonetheless, I will probably start riding around my neighborhood to gain some confidence and eventually join one of the Proteus's weekend group biking events since it's nearby.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest to maybe try some mixed mode commuting while you build up some miles? I rode my bike to metro (2 miles each way) for around 16 weeks every day to build up some confidence before going the full 15 miles on my commute. I've worked my way up to almost daily commuting now. Admittedly its easier in the summer when I only work 2 days a week!

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbiehere View Post
    I just wish the Adult cycling education classes were being offered. I test rode my future bike and I'm a little rusty so I was hoping to get a refresher.
    The WABA web site is out of date. I am one of their instructors, and they are offering classes starting August 16 through October. Perhaps they have not advertised yet, because we instructors are still signing up, and they may need to know that they have enough to offer the class.

I think if you send an email to education@waba.org, they will be happy to bring you up to date.
    This is the tentative schedule at this point. I hope I'm not getting myself in trouble by posting it here.

8/16/2014* City Cycling (CC) - Washington Middle School, Alexandria, VA*
    (Sat. 8:45AM - 12:15PM )

8/17/2014* DATE & LOCATION TENTATIVE - City Cycling (CC) - Freedom Plaza, Washington, DC*
    (Sun. 8:45AM - 12:15PM )

8/23/2014* Adult Learn to Ride (L2R) - Freedom Plaza, Washington, DC*

8/24/2014* Adult Learn to Ride (L2R) - Jones Point Park, Alexandria, VA*

9/6/2014* Adult Learn to Ride (L2R) - Jones Point Park, Alexandria, VA*

9/7/2014* Adult Learn to Ride (L2R) - Jones Point Park, Alexandria, VA*

9/13/2014* Adult Learn to Ride (L2R) - Quincy Street Parking Deck, Arlington, VA*

9/14/2014* City Cycling (CC) - Quincy Street Parking Deck, Arlington, VA*

9/20/2014* City Cycling (CC) - The Blairs, Silver Spring, MD *

9/21/2014* City Cycling (CC) - Jones Point Park, Alexandria, VA*

9/27/2014* City Cycling (CC) - Freedom Plaza, Washington, DC*

9/28/2014* Adult Learn to Ride (L2R) - Quincy Street Parking Deck, Arlington, VA*

10/4/2014* Adult Learn to Ride (L2R) - Jones Point Park, Alexandria, VA*

10/5/2014* City Cycling (CC) - Alexandria, VA*

10/18/2014* Learn to Ride (L2R) - Quincy Street Parking Deck, Arlington, VA*

10/19/2014* City Cycling (CC) - Quincy Street Parking Deck, Arlington, VA*

10/25/2014* Learn to Ride (L2R) - Jones Point Park, Alexandria, VA*

10/26/2014* City Cycling (CC) - Freedom Plaza, Washington, DC*

Post Thanks / Like

Oh really?! Thanks! I will send and email soon then. Are the classes sequential or they completely independent of each other?

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Are the classes sequential or they completely independent of each other?
    There are only two classes. You already know how to ride a bike, so you should sign up for the City Cycling class.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could get on the Facebook page for WABA, but I have deactivated my Fb account for the rest of the year and would like to stay away.
    I'm sure you could just email Nelle Pierson
    Contact Nelle Pierson at nelle@waba.org with questions and comments about the Women & Bicycles program.
    They also do an e-bulletin for those (i'm assuming) not on FB. more details here:
    http://www.waba.org/programs/women-bicycles/

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

You can view many facebook pages even without an account, just make sure you're logged out if you want to dump facebook, and don't want to be tempted
    www.facebook.com/wabadc
    (Although obviously just viewing a page on facebook might tempt you, at least you won't be logged in and see your notifications, etc.)

Post Thanks / Like

I like Greenbelt's route on there and it's basically what I did when I rode up from my house to a few tailgates. I once tried riding Rt 1 to a concert at Cole. That was fun and not recommended. His route is good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    There are only two classes. You already know how to ride a bike, so you should sign up for the City Cycling class.
    I'm embarrassed to say I was a little wobbly when I recently got on the bike I test rode, and I had trouble maintaining balance when turning so that's why I was interested in the adult education classes as well. It's been so long that I think I need to start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    I'm sure you could just email Nelle Pierson

They also do an e-bulletin for those (i'm assuming) not on FB. more details here:
    http://www.waba.org/programs/women-bicycles/
    Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    You can view many facebook pages even without an account, just make sure you're logged out if you want to dump facebook, and don't want to be tempted
    www.facebook.com/wabadc
    (Although obviously just viewing a page on facebook might tempt you, at least you won't be logged in and see your notifications, etc.)
    Thank you. I am fully of aware of that. I have visited Facebook pages of organizations without logging in during past Facebook (mini) hiatuses. This time around, I just want to avoid it all together, not just the notifications and status updates.

I'll mostly utilize the e-bulliten. It looks packed with events! Exciting!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome -- like Steve, I am an LCI and teach classes with WABA. I would second his recommendation that you take City Cycling rather than Adult Learn to Ride. CC splits the group in two -- mostly self selected, so you can sort yourself into the group working on basic skills. LTR is for those who truly never learned to ride at all. There is a long, long waiting list for that class. There will be instructors at CC who will work with you where you are. Have fun!

Liz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk