Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Baltimore & Annapolis Trail

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baltimore & Annapolis Trail

Took the family out to the B&A trail this weekend. (2 adult bikes, a 26" bike, a 20" bike, and a weehoo.) Parked in the Glen Burnie lot. It is a fairly quiet paved trail through primarily residential areas. Much less traffic than, say, the W&OD on a summer Sunday afternoon. Still a good number of people training, but I saw mostly individuals rather than pelotons taking 1.5 lanes so the ambiance was much nicer for rolling along with the family. The trail does share the problem faced by a lot of trails which have utilities in the right of way: zero overhead shade. Early or late in the day I'd guess you'd get some shade from the trees along the sides, but at mid-day there's nothing to block high-angle sunlight. On the plus side, there is easy trail-side access to ice cream and gelato.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with the B&A is that none of the trail users are used to being passed by faster traffic. It's a pleasant ride, but definitely pass with care.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    My experience with the B&A is that none of the trail users are used to being passed by faster traffic.
    I think that's a feature: people shouldn't have to bunker down to use a trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I think that's a feature: people shouldn't have to bunker down to use a trail.
    It's a feature if you're looking for a slower pace or some family-friendliness. Just something for people to be aware of.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this the best trail for casual cyclists in Annapolis? I'm asking on behalf of someone.

I didn't see much on Google Maps, Bicycling view. The WB&A doesn't connect to Annapolis (nor to Washington or Baltimore either).

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    Is this the best trail for casual cyclists in Annapolis? I'm asking on behalf of someone.

I didn't see much on Google Maps, Bicycling view. The WB&A doesn't connect to Annapolis (nor to Washington or Baltimore either).
    Yes, it is a great trail for casual cyclists; it also connects to the trail that goes around the airport but I recommend taking a map (or using your phone) since the connection is not well sign posted. I prefer the trail around the airport because the paving is wider and in better condition.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

What do they want to do? It's not a great trail for going fast, and it's not a great trail for getting from point A to point B, unless point A and point B happen to be people's houses along the trail (I haven't done the whole thing, but what I have done is purely residential). If they just want to putter around on their bike for a while, every once in a while dodging walkers/runners, it's a great trail.

Post Thanks / Like

There are trails in Quiet Waters Park that are nice, too. You might have to pay if you drive in? I can't remember, it's been a while. They're well suited for a casual family ride, though. Bay Ridge is a nice neighborhood to ride in, too. No bike lanes, but not much traffic and you can ride along the water, though that may not be so appealing at this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    What do they want to do? It's not a great trail for going fast, and it's not a great trail for getting from point A to point B, unless point A and point B happen to be people's houses along the trail (I haven't done the whole thing, but what I have done is purely residential). If they just want to putter around on their bike for a while, every once in a while dodging walkers/runners, it's a great trail.
    There are sections that have businesses, some of which seem to cater to trail users. (Signs on the trail, etc.)

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

They just want to get some low-impact exercise. Knee issues prevent him from running these days. It doesn't seem like he is concerned about speed, just somewhere safe and enjoyable to ride. I already told him about the B&A Trail. I'll let him know about Quiet Waters Park too. Thanks for the info from everyone.