Likes Likes:  85
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Le Tour de France 2014

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Le Tour de France 2014

The Tour de France starts off this year in Leeds, England, on Sat. July 5. Only the 2nd time that the Tour will be starting in the UK.

The U.S. soccer team was knocked out of the World Cup, so it shouldn't matter that the World Cup continues its later rounds on Saturday. Watch the TdF instead!

NBC Sports (NBCSN) is now showing the double climb of Alpe d'Huez from last year's Tour. NBCSN will show other stages from 2013 over the next two days, plus a preview program of this year's race.

Live coverage of the 2014 race begins on Saturday at 6 am, with an edited version of the stage repeating throughout the day. Each stage airs live in the mornings, with edited repeats showing in the afternoons, evenings and overnight, similar to last year's broadcast schedule.

The 2014 Tour runs from July 5 to July 27.

Chris Froome will try to defend his title. Bradley Wiggins, the 2012 champion, will not be riding. Neither will last year's runner-up, Nairo Quintana. (Quintana did win the Giro d'Italia, just over a month ago. He wants to return to the Tour de France in 2015. He will be a serious threat to win the maillot jaune, or yellow jersey.)

http://www.letour.com/us/

http://www.nbcsports.com/cycling

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a calendar feed of all the race times, if anyone else is interested. I found that having the FIFA calendar was helpful, and I think the TdF will be nice too:
    http://openstripe.blogspot.com/2011/...ndar-feed.html

Here's how it looks in google calendar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap3.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	6127

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    Chris Froome will defend his title.
    FTFY, unless he crashes out or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Any other contenders worth watching? I don't know why, but I hate Froome. Disappointing Quintana won't be riding. I was rooting for him last year.

Also, I'm not even sure I can watch since we ditched cable. I don't know if I want to pay for the streaming feed.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Also, I'm not even sure I can watch since we ditched cable. I don't know if I want to pay for the streaming feed.
    http://cyclingfans.com/ is your friend (and mine!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Any other contenders worth watching? I don't know why, but I hate Froome. Disappointing Quintana won't be riding. I was rooting for him last year.

Contador will be billed as the biggest threat, but it's hard for me to see that happening (though others on the forum know MUCH more than me).

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it might be interesting .... but it might be super boring like last year. Seems like that'll be clear pretty quickly once they hit the hills. I love cycling, but will admit that watching the flat stages is arguably more boring than watching golf. The Giro this year was fantastic to watch. I added the Fios sports package for that and the tail of the spring classics; I was considering dropping that after the Giro, but guess I'll suffer through and watch the Tour too

Post Thanks / Like

Quintana won the Giro d'Italia in May which was his first outing as team leader of the Movistar crew. His next race is the Vuelta a Espana in August. The team management say they are prepping him for a serious shot at Le Tour next year.

He was remarkable in the Tour last year and looks capable of out climbing the field in any race. Will have to wait for next year to see him in action at the TdF.

Post Thanks / Like

The NBCSN preview show last night as well as a few online articles I've read are presenting it as Froome vs. Contador for the GC. Maybe Nibali will finally do something this year and upset the apple cart a little. Generally, I'm pulling for van Garderen and Talansky, two American GC "contenders". Very long odds to win, or probably even podium this year for that matter, but it'll be fun to watch.

I think the green jersey battle might be most interesting. Will Cavendish with Renshaw as his lead-out man take boocoo stages again and claim the green, or can Sagan win on strategy, consistency and lots of intermediate sprint points...?

Whatever happens, I'm psyched it's Tour time again!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, it might be interesting .... but it might be super boring like last year. Seems like that'll be clear pretty quickly once they hit the hills. I love cycling, but will admit that watching the flat stages is arguably more boring than watching golf. The Giro this year was fantastic to watch. I added the Fios sports package for that and the tail of the spring classics; I was considering dropping that after the Giro, but guess I'll suffer through and watch the Tour too
    The tour is on NBCSN, which is not a part of the sports tier. If you want any vuelta coverage you will need to have Universal Sports, though.