Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Spokes Belle View shop ride

Amalitza Guest

Default Spokes Belle View shop ride

Anyone familiar with it? Is it appropriate for someone totally inexperienced at group riding?

Cyndi bringing our 2014 goals thread forward for updates has reminded me that I said something about group rides and blah blah. This is a challenge for me, being lazy, a poor planner, definitively not a morning person, and with a job way out in the boonies far away from evening weekday rides. A Sunday afternoon ride starting practically next door to me is the obvious choice, if it’s suited to my skill level. Thinking of stopping by for one if I can remember to get myself out my door at the correct time-- and if it is not just highly out of my league. I’m not so much concerned about being dropped if it’s too fast for me. That would just mean I’m riding around my neighborhood on my own, which is pretty much the same thing I do any other Sunday anyway. I just don’t want to try join a ride where everyone’s riding in pacelines, expected to be able to maintain a steady pace, etc. Because I can’t do that. ...yet, anyway …

or I suppose I *could* just stop by the shop and ask them…
    Last edited by Amalitza; 06-27-2014 at 09:44 AM.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I did their Sunday afternoon ride for the first time back in May. Here is the route and from what I was told, it doesn't really ever vary unless the weather poses a problem. Please note that I rode to/from Belle Haven from Pentagon City so you should ignore the route north of Belle Haven.

It was a small group (about 7 people); all men except me but very friendly. Average speed was 15-16 mph I'd guess since my avg speed was 14 mph and I couldn't keep up very well. Everyone else knew the route so the leader stayed back with me and we chatted most of the way. He was very friendly and didn't seem put out that I was slower than the rest. Everyone regroups at Ft Hunt for loops; I think the leader and I did two loops whereas everyone else did four then we headed for a loop south of Mt Vernon.

The route is beautiful but somewhat hilly; it's a good workout. I can't say I'm inclined to join the ride again till I get faster and can stay with the group. I was glad to be shown a route south of Mt Vernon since the area between BH and Mt Vernon is very familiar to me.

Hope that helps.

Amalitza Guest

Yes, helpful, thank you. It looks like the steepest hills are on Park Terrace and Mason Hill? I am already quite familiar with those hills .

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acl View Post
    Yes, helpful, thank you. It looks like the steepest hills are on Park Terrace and Mason Hill? I am already quite familiar with those hills .
    The only hill I know by name is Rebecca which we skipped in favor of the neighboring street. I didn't find the hills to be too onerous, just trying to keep up the tempo over three hours was tough but I usually caught up with them at lights and a few choke points. They also stopped for a break at the top of the Mt Vernon hill.

P.S. No pacelines or anything like that. A mix of equipment (carbon fiber to bikes with racks). If you can ride the MVT during rush hour safely and have a good dose of common sense, you'll be fine. I was told there are regulars who do the route every week.
    Last edited by KLizotte; 06-27-2014 at 10:49 AM.