Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: shreve road w&od crossing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brendan View Post
    How a about two bollards, center of the road, outside of the trail-crossing rectangle?

Or is the bollard there to also keep cyclists from veering too far left when crossing?

B
    In Arlington, they've been using the 2 outer bollard solution for some of the crosswalks and intersections to "remind" drivers that they must yield to people in the crosswalk. In my experience living in the Ballston area, I think it has helped to slow more drivers down, to prevent unsafe passes of cyclists by drivers on that road, and to get more drivers to actually yield to crosswalk users, but every now and then a driver will knock one of them down (drivers will run into EVERYTHING on/near asphalt), so that's not surprising.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

How about two bollards, center of the road, outside of the trail-crossing rectangle?

Or is the bollard there to also keep cyclists from veering too far left when crossing?
    As far as I am concerned, a bollard should never be placed in the center of the trail. It is just a crash waiting to happen. Using the double bollard solution outside the trail ROW is far, far better. If a car hits one, they get a smudge on their bumper. If a cyclist hits one they likely go down (particularly if they strike the base), potentially suffering injury and possibly putting themselves in danger of being struck by a vehicle.
    We would never put a telephone pole in the middle of the street to "keep cars from veering too far. . ." so neither should we put a crashing hazard in the middle of the trail for any reason.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Thought I should follow up. Someone (NVRPA? VDOT? Kind hearted person with a chisel?) did remove the useless mid-crosswalk bollard. Now there's an awkward brown square in the middle of the crosswalk where they didn't paint due to the useless bollard, but it's a vast improvement. Here's hoping they (the man?) don't ever replace it. If they do, I already suggested doing it they way falls church does, with a sign in the street before and after the crosswalk instead of RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE.
    Yesterday the bollard base was there; it appeared that the sign part had just broken off. Now *that* was an accident waiting to happen I thought to myself. I assume they just removed the base and will replace it when they find time.

I think the ped xing signs in the road are helpful, though I think the approach they took at the West St. intersection is better -- moving it to the outside of the crossing lane (but still in center of street). At least that's how I remember it there.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    We would never put a telephone pole in the middle of the street to "keep cars from veering too far. . ."
    Well, medians....

Post Thanks / Like

How a about two bollards, center of the road, outside of the trail-crossing rectangle?

B
    yes, that is the better option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    I think the idea is that if the sign is in the middle of the street then it can't be missed. Because the intersection is in the middle of the curve, maybe the thinking was that a roadside sign would be less visible since drivers would (should) be focusing on managing the curve and crossing traffic. I actually liked having the bullard in the center of the road.
    Yes, this is exactly what I meant when I said "a sign in the street before and after the crosswalk". There's an intersection set up exactly that way like a mile east of the shreve road crossing, so it's not exactly a novel idea. I have no idea what idiot thought that putting a bollard in the the crosswalk was a good idea, but it wasn't, and the outcome was entirely predictable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    Well, medians....
    And there are a stack of regulations about how to place medians, how to protect drivers who run into medians, how to warn drivers about approaching medians, etc. So it's exactly the case that they don't just dump a hazard into the middle of the road where it would endanger a motorist.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I tweeted this to @BikeFairfax to ask for where we might offer input, but what's the best course of action?

.@BikeFairfax how can we give input when replacing bollard at shreve and W&OD? suggestions on @BikeArlington forum http://goo.gl/dgHqMb

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    And there are a stack of regulations about how to place medians, how to protect drivers who run into medians, how to warn drivers about approaching medians, etc. So it's exactly the case that they don't just dump a hazard into the middle of the road where it would endanger a motorist.
    Sure, but I didn't say that there shouldn't be such regulations. Medians are barriers that separate traffic in roads and seem to be done safely. It was just an off-hand comment though.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonofab...that's the last time I ever post positive feedback. Not only did some colossal imbecile replace the bollard in the crosswalk, they doubled down on the stupid with an even bigger bollard. I didn't stop in the middle of the intersection to check, but I think this one might even be a non-flexible post.