Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shreve road w&od crossing

Post Thanks / Like

Default shreve road w&od crossing

I thought it was idiotic when they put a flex post in the middle of the shreve road crosswalk. Now the idiotic flex post is laying flat across the middle of the crosswalk. Note that its light green color is essentially invisible against the white zebra strips when crossing into the sun.

I'm contacting everybody I can think of to fix it & hopefully remove one of the most useless bollards I have ever seen. Until then, be very careful.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I wan to know who ran it over with their car?

Also I 'd appreciate some rumble strips on shreve at the buckelew, chestnut and pinecastle intersections to slow folks down.

Post Thanks / Like

All flexible bollards should be shaped and dressed up to look like small children.

Honestly one of the more dangerous spots in NoVA, I'm surprised there are not more incedents there.

Post Thanks / Like

I almost got hit by a bike there last fall. I was going east, waiting for a break in traffic. The evening sun was directly behind me. A cyclist coming the other way went across and went into the left side of the trail where I was waiting. He didn't see me at all and missed me by 1/2 inch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcb203 View Post
    I almost got hit by a bike there last fall. I was going east, waiting for a break in traffic. The evening sun was directly behind me. A cyclist coming the other way went across and went into the left side of the trail where I was waiting. He didn't see me at all and missed me by 1/2 inch.
    Yes, it would also be nice if the alignment of the trail were improved (widened & with less of a sharp turn).

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Yes, it would also be nice if the alignment of the trail were improved (widened & with less of a sharp turn).
    It was only a few years ago that they realigned the trail there so that the crossing was at a 90 degree angle to the street. Previously the trail was straight (you can still envision it if you look ahead as you are approaching the curves), but the crossing was very long. Also, it required a much more difficult look over the shoulder to look for oncoming traffic. I think the new alignment is an improvement. Not perfect, but better and safer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    It was only a few years ago that they realigned the trail there so that the crossing was at a 90 degree angle to the street. Previously the trail was straight (you can still envision it if you look ahead as you are approaching the curves), but the crossing was very long. Also, it required a much more difficult look over the shoulder to look for oncoming traffic. I think the new alignment is an improvement. Not perfect, but better and safer.
    Yes, a more perpendicular crossing is always better. I just don't get why they didn't improve the south side of the trail as well as the north side and make it fully perpendicular. (Look at google maps and compare the curves. It looks like there should be enough ROW to push the south side of the trail toward the southwest and make it a normal crosswalk.) It's like they only had money for half the project--which makes pushing for the rest of the project a straightforward request.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I should follow up. Someone (NVRPA? VDOT? Kind hearted person with a chisel?) did remove the useless mid-crosswalk bollard. Now there's an awkward brown square in the middle of the crosswalk where they didn't paint due to the useless bollard, but it's a vast improvement. Here's hoping they (the man?) don't ever replace it. If they do, I already suggested doing it they way falls church does, with a sign in the street before and after the crosswalk instead of RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the idea is that if the sign is in the middle of the street then it can't be missed. Because the intersection is in the middle of the curve, maybe the thinking was that a roadside sign would be less visible since drivers would (should) be focusing on managing the curve and crossing traffic. I actually liked having the bullard in the center of the road.

Post Thanks / Like

How a about two bollards, center of the road, outside of the trail-crossing rectangle?

Or is the bollard there to also keep cyclists from veering too far left when crossing?

B