Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Enough to Drink

Amalitza Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kolohe View Post
    I dunno, the government agency (natch) I used to work for until last year had plotters for large printouts (e.g. table sized maps)
    We have one in my office. It's still in use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acl View Post
    We have one in my office. It's still in use.
    Like with actual pens, not an injet?

Post Thanks / Like

Now that we're totally off topic: when I was a kid, the first computer we had in my house was one of these. Then we upgraded to one of these. There was no printer. Or monitor. Or qwerty keyboard (hexadecimal input only). Or even a plastic shell to house the thing.

Amalitza Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Like with actual pens, not an injet?
    Ha, funny. I went upstairs to look at it to confirm it was the old-style (I didn't say *I* use it), and we have a new one (inkjet, obv). I have no idea when we got that... trying to remember last time I saw the old one... sometime in the last couple years (?)... I know it was there when my office moved from upstairs near it to downstairs where I am now, which was sometime around 2010
    never mind...

((jeez, i am not that old, i swear)
    Last edited by Amalitza; 05-21-2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: though i am old enough to drink, so i believe i'll have one shortly

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

My dad had a TRS-80 in his office that I played with. The CPU and disk drive was so heavy it was furniture - part of the desk that was included with the computer. The daisy-wheel printer shook the whole desk when it printed. The disks were 8-inch floppies.

Good times.

Post Thanks / Like

In the plotter generation, line printers were the top dog for text. Massive drum spinning at high speed with little hammers for each character position [fixed pitch text of course].
    These babies could do a rocking 1200 lines/minute [around 20 pages/minute] on large format z fold paper with those ubiquitous serrated sprocket hole edges.
    Nobody has these at home, but corporations and government agencies had rooms full of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800px-Drum-printer.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	5691

8. 05-22-2014, 01:07 PM