Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mt Vernon Trail Problems Identified in 1990

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mt Vernon Trail Problems Identified in 1990

Mt. Vernon Trail problems as identified in the National Park Service 1990 DC Trails Plan.

*sarcasm* I'd like to personally thank NPS for making so much progress on them over the last quarter century. */sarcasm*

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Columbia Island Conflicts: No current conflict (I dont remember this problem)
    Narrow Hump Back Bridge: Fixed
    No Access to Pentagon: Fixed
    Graverly Point: Fix has been planned with process well under way
    No Access to Crystal City: Fixed
    Hazardous Trail Crossings at Airport: A number of them have been fixed. I think only one remains
    Lack of Directional Signs: Fixed
    Lack of River Crossing: Fixed
    Dangerous Grades at WW: Improved
    Clearance of Tree Trunks: Pretty sure that has been fixed

And NPS has fixed a few other things like the 14th Street Bridge ramp

I'd like to personally thank NPS for making so much progress on them over the last quarter century. More needs to be done. But NPS has been responsive, met with members of the cycling community, and made solid improvements.

I do love the notation about the Intersection of Doom. It has been Decades of inaction. Well, no, we do now have curb cuts!
    Last edited by rcannon100; 05-20-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Narrow crossing under Memorial Bridge and the pedestrian crossings of the GW Parkway. Still big conflicts.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree largely with rcannon. While I love to pile on the NPS as much as the next guy, a lot of those problems have been fixed, even if it did take almost a quarter century.

Maybe by 2040, all the issues will finally be addressed, just in time for much of the trail to fall victim to rising sea levels.
    Last edited by cyclingfool; 05-20-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Global climate change

Post Thanks / Like

As I was reading the map, I was doing basically the exact same checklist that rcannon was doing. I think all things considered, you have to really credit the NPS for really improving things and addressing those major issues. One that I would add is that NPS listened to people (even if it took a while) and improved the crossings at Memorial Circle. It's not perfect, but much improved and they continue to try other improvements.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of the slowness has to do with a lack of funding. I've noticed how long it takes to simply pick up the trash along the trail, cut the grass, etc. Also, the National Mall is becoming a embarrassment given how badly some of the landscaping/infrastructure has deteriorated. And how long will those jersey barriers remain around the Jefferson Memorial?! I've been visiting the national parks around the country and most of them could sure use some more money too.

One way to speed things up is to write to one's congresspeople and ask that NPS receive more funding.

Post Thanks / Like

Still a problem 24 years later:
    The Intersection of Doom [safety]
    Slippery Boardwalks [safety]
    Columbia Island Conflicts with traffic [safety]
    No access from South Arlington [access]
    Conflicts at Gravelly Point (I'll believe they're fixing it when I see it) [safety]

No progress in the amount of time it takes to raise a human being from nothing to an adult, productive member of society.

I see some promising signs out of NPS in the last few years, but if letting known safety problems linger for decades is OK because they made progress on some other stuff is "OK" and that makes them "responsive" then when we may be part of the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Conflicts at Gravelly Point (I'll believe they're fixing it when I see it) [safety]

No progress in the amount of time it takes to raise a human being from nothing to an adult, productive member of society.

I see some promising signs out of NPS in the last few years, but if letting known safety problems linger for decades is OK because they made progress on some other stuff is "OK" and that makes them "responsive" then when we may be part of the problem.
    You have to remember they fixed the most expensive, "highest-hanging" fruit first - Wilson bridge, Humpback bridge, tunnel under CSX right of way.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Seems to be a reference to the Crossing of Doom.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post

Small correction - many 24-year-olds aren't yet adult, productive members of society.