Likes Likes:  263
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  23
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets hope the weather forecast is wrong...

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I certainly could have Googled it if I actually cared. And really, in hindsight, I should have made my joke about "CONSENSUS AMONGST THE MED RANGE MEMBERS".

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Updated forecast from the National Weather Service:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	December 2012 forecast - Mayan calendar.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	5586

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    OH NO not expected QPF!

What's QPF?

And Greenbelt, how did you post that without the forum anti-shouting alarm going off?
    Here zur QPF, man. (Real Mets use all CAPS and sexy abbrevs b/c they transmit in Morse I think and need save chars)

Post Thanks / Like

All seriousness aside, this much rain on Friday morning will probably create another weekly flood on the NE Branch trail low point by the rail bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I like riding in the rain as I (now) have the right gear and after some less than positive early results have learned how to. I understand the rain or shine thing but I don't think this sounds like the right weather to entice new riders to consider commuting. It also seems that forecasts are getting better in the one or 2 day out window. Wednesday will likely have a solid forecast of what Friday is going to look like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    All seriousness aside, this much rain on Friday morning will probably create another weekly flood on the NE Branch trail low point by the rail bridge.
    and the Metro tracks at Lake Artemsia...

and Lake Artemesia (wait, it is actually still flooded as of this afternoon)...

and under the East West Highway....

and maybe at the end of the College Park airpark...

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Worst BTWD weather ever

I believe it was 2005 was the worst BTWD ever. Steady, constant rain and only about 44 degrees. I started contracting hypothermia at Freedom Plaza and could barely ride the last mile to my office. The warm shower never felt so good.

Yes, just looked it up. May 20, 2005 it rained 2.63 inches. The record rainfall for DC on that date is, you guessed it, 2.63 inches (2005)

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

It shows the temp was more like low 50's, but it sure seemed a lot more miserable than that.

I suspect there were a lot of leftover t-shirts that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Steve. That was the first day I biked to work since moving to the DC area. I lost my favorite helmet cover on the ride in, and pedaled through a puddle on the MVT deep enough to cover my bottom bracket. There were no showers at work. At least I didn't have a flat.

Post Thanks / Like

The times indicated on Greenbelt's map above are Greenwich Mean Time, so the map covers Thursday evening to Friday evening. That would be one big pile of water for the Friday morning commute if that is realized.

Post Thanks / Like

Rule 9, motherb**ches!