Likes Likes:  263
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  23
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets hope the weather forecast is wrong...

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember that during heavy rain storms, the flow from storm sewers combines with the flow from the main sewer systems. The combined flow means that a lot of untreated sewage will flow into the Potomac River, the Anacostia River, Rock Creek and various streams and creeks. This happens even if there are no sewer line breaks.

From the D.C. Water and Sewer Authority:

Avoid Contact with Combined Sewer Overflows

DC Water is committed to improving the quality of water within the District of Columbia. Discharges may be dangerous to the public, due to the high flow of water that may exit these sewer outfalls. Potentially harmful substances may also be present in these discharges. The public is advised to stay away from any sewer pipe discharge.

For small rainfalls, the effects of CSOs typically last less than 24 hours. For larger rainfalls, greater than 1" of rain, the effects of CSO on water quality can last up to three days. Please note that the District of Columbia Department of Health has imposed a ban on swimming in all rivers and creeks in the District of Columbia and any contact with rivers and creeks immediately downstream of any sewer pipe discharge should be avoided.

http://www.dcwater.com/wastewater_collection/css/

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Two to three inches of rain already, in Northern Virginia. Another 2 to 3 inches on the way by morning.

Post Thanks / Like

It is really nasty out there right now. I can't ride in this. I'm going to wait it out a bit and see what happens.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm up. So is the storm. Apparently. Cant tell. Suns not up yet so I cant see it. 30 minute delay and then rainbows and kittens

PS Did you see that some VA School systems have closed cause of the rain?!?!?!

Post Thanks / Like

I say, "Quack, quack, quack!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ducky Terrain.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	5609

C'mon, you guys should just be thankful that you CAN ride! How do you think I feel...I've been waiting all year for today, I can barely move my arm and shoulder and it hurts so much you'd feel it standing next to me, I've watched my name plummet on the NBC leaderboards, and my wife is about to kill me because I even hinted that I might try to ride (just a little from the Metro) to get my T-shirt.

So quit yer bellyaching, put on a raincoat, and go get your swag! ...and don't forget to say hi to me when you get there (Rosslyn)
    Last edited by Fast Friendly Guy; 05-16-2014 at 05:36 AM. Reason: waffles! (the one right answer for everything)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    It is really nasty out there right now. I can't ride in this. I'm going to wait it out a bit and see what happens.
    i got up at like 4 something and it wasn't raining really. Showered, got bike clothes on, came downstairs, and its pourings. I have a little weather station outside and the windbird is just spinning. If I had a five mile ride, maybe, but 20...I dunno. Going to wait until like 6:15 and see it it lets up a bit before I throw the towel in.

Post Thanks / Like

RULE 5 BTWD!

Heading out, GB and I are supposed to lead a ride to Tysons. Spectacularly bad idea...

Brave souls rally in Rosslyn! (and then when your convoy of first time riders doesn't show up, come to Java Shack... bring a towel)

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, maybe I will see you guys out there (you coming back/east). I figure I will wait a few minutes until the red radar blob moves from overhead.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Capital Weather Gang tweeted that the worst time for rain and wind is now through 7:15 am...so looks like I'll be at the Rosslyn stop around 7:20 . It went from light rain to a downpour pretty suddenly over here. I just hope the road isn't flooded.

Post Thanks / Like

The Accuweather on my phone is assuring me that it is merely "cloudy" right now. Apparently the rain pounding on my roof and the river in my back yard are merely figments of my imagination.