Likes Likes:  263
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  23
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets hope the weather forecast is wrong...

Post Thanks / Like

Well I made it from Mt. Vernon to Fairfax for 28 miles. I left home at 5:15 and rode through the last of the worst weather in the first hour. By the time I got halfway it was tapering off and was pretty much done for the last 45min of the ride. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

Check out the Fairfax County Parkway just north of Backlick Rd!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1274[1].jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	5615

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1795408_10101765954265546_7954929526128963242_o.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	5616

Things were hoppin' over in Rosslyn!

Happy BTWD everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Silver Spring stop was going strong at 8:15 am. The rain had slackened substantially by then from the torrents of 7 am. Looked like a smaller turn out of exhibiters than last year, kind of matching the lower turn out of riders but it did mean that everyone fit under the Discovery building overhang and had a 'relatively' dry space. Many of the usual suspects hung in like Silver Cycles, WABA and the County Police. Whole Foods had better coffee there than they serve in the store. Not sure how that works, perhaps it just tastes better on BTWD - when one is all wet after not finding his rain pants.

Happy BTWDay to all and to all a better BTWD happy hour!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Riley Casey; 05-16-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: forgot the pic

Post Thanks / Like

So glad I rode today! The rain wasn't half as bad as I was expecting, and it was so cool to see all the other brave souls at the Rockville Town Square pit stop!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahK View Post
    So glad I rode today! The rain wasn't half as bad as I was expecting, and it was so cool to see all the other brave souls at the Rockville Town Square pit stop!
    agreed! Call me a pessimist, but I was expecting torrentials.

Post Thanks / Like

Woke up at 5, looked out the window, went back to bed. Left the house maybe 6:30 or so. I was actually pretty dry for the first 18 miles or so, then the clouds opened up about the time I got on the custis from the W&OD. I'm bummed that I didn't get a patch kit, but I did get my t-shirt.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

It was torrential before 7 am.

Saw many brave souls at Rosslyn! Pictures coming (didnt not bring my machine in with me today for fear of Noah). Excellent job to BA which was out since 5 am! Braving the nastiness musta not been fun. By 9 am almost all the staff was doing the BoatToWorkDay dance to keep warm.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 05-16-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike to Work Monsoon Day!

I went first to the Rosslyn pit stop where I ran into GB and GuyContinental. After stocking up on swag, taking a couple of pictures, getting a $10 credit added to my ZipCar account (awesome!), and thanking everyone for being there in the downpour, I headed onto the Custis toward East Falls Church. Along the way, there was a tree down (thank you to the cyclists who warned me as I was approaching it, I passed the favor on to others as well) on the Custis trail near where it passes underneath the 21st Street bridge in McCoy Park. People biking the other way on the Custis trail seemed to be smiling on their commute, either that or gritting their teeth in the storm.

When I made it to the East Falls Church stop, the rain was no longer in monsoon mode and had become more moderate. The pit stop there was just at the entrance, shielded from the rain by the I-66 and train overpasses. Sponsored by WMATA, they had 2 tables, one with Metro goodies including lights and bags, and the other run by the Metro police that were giving free Kryptonite U-locks (not bad) if you registered your bike with them (I did so, making me registered both with Metro police and Arlington County).

Next stop: Ballston. I took the W&OD to the Bluemont Junction trail to see more of Four Mile Run, and it had become rapids in a couple of areas. The underpass at Wilson Blvd was heavily flooded, so I opted to cross Wilson Blvd (not too bad). At the corner of Quincy/Wilson Blvd, I swear that was Dickie who gave me a thumbs up as he headed onto Quincy while I was waiting at the light to turn onto Wilson Blvd to get to the Ballston pit stop. Picked up my t-shirt and some more swag, but sadly my ride was over as I biked the last 2 blocks to my workplace (it was fun, though).

Best part is that my work clothes (triple-bagged in plastic bags) were completely dry and my rain jacket and new rain pants kept me dry. Okay, that was the second best part. The best part really was getting to bike this morning in the rain and seeing all the other craz- er, cool, people

Post Thanks / Like

My pit stop was closed! (Takoma Park Gazebo) What are the alternatives for me? I really want to keep my t-shirt streak alive!

Post Thanks / Like

Also..what is this "Rule#5" people keep mentioning???