Likes Likes:  56
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Landbay K at Potomac Yards trail (Potomac Avenue and Main Line Boulevard)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    I'm not sure what the affordable housing policy is in Alexandria, but I do know that many (most?) of the new Arlington developments have a set number of "affordable" units. (What is considered "affordable housing" is a matter of debate, and one that changes from project to project, I think.)
    HUD defines this as "Families who pay more than 30 percent of their income for housing are considered cost burdened and may have difficulty affording necessities such as food, clothing, transportation and medical care. " That is then tempered with the local market and HUD publishes Fair Market Rents that provide limits for housing assistance at http://www.huduser.org/portal/datasets/fmr.html

For the DC metro area, the FY2014 Fair Market Rents are
    Efficiency - $1,176
    1 BR - $1,239
    2 BR - $1,469
    3 BR - $1,966
    4 BR - $2,470

Post Thanks / Like

Progress on the last stretch of the trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	7452
    December 30, 2014

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	7453
    January 13, 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I rode back that way on Sunday to check out what things looked like from the GWMS parking lot/end of Main Line Blvd side. Things are taking shape nicely. It'll be nice when that's complete. It'll really simplify trips from Crystal City and Potomac Yard to Old Town, especially the non-Waterfront part of Old Town.

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken to riding east on Braddock, turning right on West Street and a left onto Pendleton. Once I have crossed Washington Street, it is easy to turn on Pitt or Royal and head south. It is especially nice when the MVT is snow and ice covered.

Post Thanks / Like

That's my standard route, too. I also go down West or Fayette if I'm going somewhere just west of Rte. 1. My post above was about longer distance travel from farther north, liek Crystal City or Potomac Yard which would ave one riding down Potomac Avenue and Main Line Blvd or the side path. Completion of this link will eliminate the need to divert a couple blocks over to Mt Vernon or to navigate Rte. 1 or its sidewalks over the tracks and back down to side streets in North Old Town.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an update on the project from Alexandria's project manager

• Form work for concrete edges is complete
    • Weather permitting concrete will be poured this week
    • Once edges are complete, the concrete has cured and weather permiting asphalt will be installed
    • Additional work will follow the paving to include the installation of lighting, site furniture, plantings and other elements. The project manager will work with the contractor to see if the trail can be open while the additional work is on-going.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a post on the Potomac Yard Park Facebook page today, along with photos:

"The curbs have been installed for the South trail extension! The trail will connect the end of Main Line Boulevard to Braddock Road. The asphalt will be installed next week weather permitting. Please remember that even though the trail will appear to be complete soon, it is still an active construction site. Crews will still be working to complete the plaza and install the lighting and plantings."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1380...6205266147576/

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode by there earlier today. The outdoor fitness stations along the trail are neat, although I wish they would include some pull-up bars. I didn't see any.

The final section is still unfinished. In their Facebook post and comments, they said temperatures have to be at least 40F with no rain, in order to pour concrete. It will be in the mid 40s on Monday, but rain all day long. Then sub-40F on Tue. Wed. will be 47F and dry, so maybe the trail can get paved then. If they don't finish on Wed., the rest will have to wait for another week since Thur. and Fri. will also be sub-40F.

I hadn't seen the progress on all the new residential buildings until today. It will mean more traffic (bike, car, runner, walker, dog walker) but some of the new buildings will have ground-floor retail, which means more places to get water or a snack along the route. (This might be more important for running, since it's more cumbersome to carry water and calories on the run.)

I also stopped by a few of the newer CaBi stations in Del Ray and Slaters Lane. Nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Crews were out working on this last stretch yesterday and again this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Crews were out working on this last stretch yesterday and again this morning.
    I saw that this AM. Looks like they paved the "landing" right by Braddock road and were about to finish it up.

What would improve the situation more is if someone hadn't dumped an entire truck of rock salt on the path between Monroe Ave and the movie theater (Potomac Ave section of the path). The entire path is nothing but sharp rock salt gravel--it was solid white last night when I biked by it. I've never seem something so ridiculous. Even the joggers were getting off the path (I carried my bike onto the street once I realized how bad it was). Rock salt--especially that much--is terrible for bikes and shoes, and downright dangerous for dogs and the environment.