Likes Likes:  2,177
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
ELITE ELITE:  120
Page 57 of 164 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 1640

Thread: Your latest bike purchase?

  1. #561
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No more cold feet:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	7317

    No more saddle bag that won't fit my stuff and occupies the space where my tail light goes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	7318

  2. #562
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    ALX
    Posts
    3,712
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post

    No more saddle bag that won't fit my stuff and occupies the space where my tail light goes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	7318
    Hmmm...I may have to look into this. The saddle bag on my new all-weather commuter causes the same problem.

  3. #563
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Hmmm...I may have to look into this. The saddle bag on my new all-weather commuter causes the same problem.
    This is what I got. Cheap. Possibly too simple. Doubtless not weather resistant. Better than what I had before, for my purposes.

  4. #564
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    No more cold feet:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	7317

    No more saddle bag that won't fit my stuff and occupies the space where my tail light goes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	7318
    I'd like to know what you think of the shoe covers after you use them in the coming mid-week. My current covers are nearing replacement so I'm looking at options. I'm currently using some Garneau's but I'm not pleased by how quickly the velcro fasterners have begun to tear away from the bootie, so I won't re-purchase them.

  5. #565
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    I'd like to know what you think of the shoe covers after you use them in the coming mid-week. My current covers are nearing replacement so I'm looking at options. I'm currently using some Garneau's but I'm not pleased by how quickly the velcro fasterners have begun to tear away from the bootie, so I won't re-purchase them.
    I'll let you know. They're the first booties I've ever had, so even if I think they're great, it may mean nothing, since I have no standard for comparison.

  6. #566
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I'll let you know. They're the first booties I've ever had, so even if I think they're great, it may mean nothing, since I have no standard for comparison.
    Are you wearing those over sandals -- or did I miss you mentioning that you had found shoes?

    In my experience PI covers are pretty good. I had one set that started breaking apart near laces after a few uses, but I think that was a fluke / bad model. I have some pretty ragged ones that I've had for a few years and some newer "wxb pro someting-or-other" ones that seem decent too. Not as warm as my boots, but good for me down to upper 20s (for an hour or less).

  7. #567
    PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    4,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a pair of neoprene bike shoe covers. I think the brand is Descente. The big problem I've had is that they can't cover up the cleats and the holes in the bottom of the bike shoe. That's always going to be one of the biggest problems with keeping your feet warm on cold winter rides.

    Maybe the solution is to have a neoprene insole, but that is going to be thick, so the shoe would need to have more space than usual. Or you could use thin socks with the insole.

    I don't know if any company sells neoprene insoles. I found this old thread on BikeForums.net:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...t-insoles.html

    Someone posted a link to Aerogel insoles. They aren't bike-specific but they could work with some trimming.

    http://workingperson.com/polarwrap-i...fm-250375.html

  8. #568
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The suggestion I've seen (but haven't tried) is to cut up one of those mylar emergency blankets and put that between the insole and sole. I've got a set of boots on the way because I've found dealing with shoe covers to be a pain.

  9. #569
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Falls church
    Posts
    1,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    I have a pair of neoprene bike shoe covers. I think the brand is Descente. The big problem I've had is that they can't cover up the cleats and the holes in the bottom of the bike shoe. That's always going to be one of the biggest problems with keeping your feet warm on cold winter rides.

    Maybe the solution is to have a neoprene insole, but that is going to be thick, so the shoe would need to have more space than usual. Or you could use thin socks with the insole.

    I don't know if any company sells neoprene insoles. I found this old thread on BikeForums.net:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...t-insoles.html

    Someone posted a link to Aerogel insoles. They aren't bike-specific but they could work with some trimming.

    http://workingperson.com/polarwrap-i...fm-250375.html
    this was the key improvment I did last year. I had a pair of cycling shoes that became too large after a while and found that 2 shoe liners worked wonders to keep always cold feet warm. Two liners and one or two layers of neoprene shoe covers worked from cool to Polar Vortex. Too tight shoes make for cold feet too so adding thick liners to a snug shoe might not help.

  10. #570
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=dkel;103436]No more cold feet:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	7317

    I got the same booties for Christmas and have to say they are a nice accessory. I went out for a two hour ride when it was in the low 30s and my feet were comfortable, where as with toe covers only my toes would have been cold and painful.

    I did ride in them last week to work in the morning, when it was in the upper 20s and after my hour commute, my feet were still cold and achy, but not nearly as bad as if riding without them. It was more tolerable. I have them on my shoes, and I also have toe covers underneath them. I did notice that when I got to work and took of my socks they were soaked with sweat. I figured that is why my feet got so cold. It's funny, my feet never felt hot, so I can't figure why I had sweated so much.

    I can't wait to test them out later this week when the temp drops. I do have to admit I feel like they look silly. Like cycling in moon boots.

    Let us know how they work for you. I'm still looking for the magic bullet to solve my cold toe problems.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •