Likes Likes:  2,075
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
ELITE ELITE:  119
Page 11 of 159 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest bike purchase?

Post Thanks / Like

As someone in possession of Maryland plates, it is my considered opinion that Virginia does its best to make sure Maryland drivers will be driving dangerously when in Virginia, by setting up road signage (or lack thereof) designed to ensure that anyone not born in Virginia will be continuously lost while trying to drive there. Favorites are:
    • Major roads with no signs.
    • Roads that change names every few blocks.
    • Multiple roads in different locations with essentially the same name. (How many Glebe Roads are there?)

And let's not even mention the aberrations like Temporary Road (with a far from temporary sign).

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    One definite advantage of biking in Virginia is the lower proportion of drivers bearing MD plates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    As someone in possession of Maryland plates, it is my considered opinion that Virginia does its best to make sure Maryland drivers will be driving dangerously when in Virginia, by setting up road signage (or lack thereof) designed to ensure that anyone not born in Virginia will be continuously lost while trying to drive there. Favorites are:
    • Major roads with no signs.
    • Roads that change names every few blocks.
    • Multiple roads in different locations with essentially the same name. (How many Glebe Roads are there?)

And let's not even mention the aberrations like Temporary Road (with a far from temporary sign).
    Most of my negative experiences with MD have had nothing to do with the situations you mentioned, though I can sympathize with you on many of them, even though I now line in NoVA and occasionally drive. Most of the inane and idiotic things I have seen MD drivers do relate more to complete lack of regard for normal traffic laws and standards: ridiculously unsafe speeding, illegal turns, buzzing cyclists to name but a few, so whatever confusion may be caused by the factors you list is not to blame in those cases. Just being an arsehole is.

As a proportion of drivers from a jurisdiction, and likely even in absolute numbers, I see this more from MD drivers than VA or DC drivers even though almost all my riding in VA and DC. When I see stupid driving, I always guess MD plates and I'm usually right about 75% of the time.

I'm sure you're a safe driver, as are most people out there, even from MD, but there seem to be more bad apples in MD's basket than in DC or VA's. At least that's been my observation.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

[*]Major roads with no signs.[*]Roads that change names every few blocks.[*]Multiple roads in different locations with essentially the same name. (How many Glebe Roads are there?)
    A) It's NPS' s fault.
    B) It's Fall Church's fault.
    C) C'mon there's only two. Who cares if they intersect?
    Last edited by DismalScientist; 05-06-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: I was officially born in Virginia, but raised in Wisconsin.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm aware of this one. However, last time I actually was in an accident, I realized that my documentation was several years old, and that the likelihood of my wife remembering where to find it in my files during the stress of an emergency was low. It's a whole lot easier to get proof of marriage, which can actually be found on the Worcester City (Massachusetts) website.
    Hey! I grew up in Worcester County, MA! Went to college in "Worcesta". Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I never lived in Worcester (or anywhere in Massachusetts), but was most grateful to it for allowing us to get married at a time when other jurisdictions wouldn't. We had only a day in Massachusetts before our wedding, so we raced back and forth between the marriage license office and the courthouse (to get a court waiver of the usual three-day waiting period). Fortunately, the judge didn't give us a lot of grief after we explained that we hadn't been able to get the marriage license earlier because we lived in Maryland. And the spectators who had been watching one sordid family law matter after another before we arrived actually cheered us when we got the waiver. We then drove the rest of the way up to Winchester, and got married in a lovely little synagogue there.

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Hey! I grew up in Worcester County, MA! Went to college in "Worcesta". Welcome to the forum!

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, so sorry you've had to endure so much drama to simply get married but am glad you were finally able to do so. Times can't change fast enough.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

C) C'mon there's only two. Who cares if they intersect?
    Well, there's E/W Glebe, N/S Glebe and then Old Glebe. Or so I thought, but apparently there is actually a N Old Glebe and a S Old Glebe which do not even remotely touch.

We live on one of the smaller roads that apparently was cut up by the larger ones as things evolved. I think there are 5 or 6 non-continuous segments of our street out there, probably more including the "south" variant. Can't imagine trying to navigate around here pre-google maps (well, pre-mapquest).

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Can't imagine trying to navigate around here pre-google maps (well, pre-mapquest).
    Oh, please...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlingt...-naming_system

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Arlington has a quasi-system, which ends up being useless because of all the disconnected streets, streets that aren't actually straight but are arbitrarily named e-w or n-s, all the "exceptions", etc. E.g., 26th St S intersects with 28th St S, which intersects with Army Navy north of 24th St S, which is close the amusingly (or perversely) named 23d Rd S which runs south of and parallel to 23d St S. In some parts of the county where there's an underlying grid the system mostly works (except for the exceptions) but that's not true for most of the roads in the county. Other than as a historical curiosity to entertain people at a happy hour I'm not sure what the value is of bringing up the naming system--certainly, it's not something that visitors can use to find an unfamiliar location.

Can't imagine trying to navigate around here pre-google maps (well, pre-mapquest).
    Everyone kept some of those map books in the car. It sucked. The map books didn't fit in a bike bag, so you had a folding map which sucked even more because they either weren't indexed or were indexed in microprint. But you did stand a much better chance of getting useful directions when you asked a random person for help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Other than as a historical curiosity to entertain people at a happy hour I'm not sure what the value is of bringing up the naming system--certainly, it's not something that visitors can use to find an unfamiliar location.
    It's possible actually - I've done it when my smartphone battery died. I have some "personal business cards" that I use for advocacy networking and I had the "block numbers on east west streets" chart printed on the back for just such an occasion. It isn't terribly efficient (because you often end up running into dead ends due to the mediocre grid connectivity) but it's very doable.