Likes Likes:  1,972
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
ELITE ELITE:  119
Page 104 of 155 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1543

Thread: Your latest bike purchase?

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, I don't actually have the bike yet. I just had to get in on the "photos of bikes you've ordered" vibe! This was a test ride of a 56 (I ordered a 54).

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    The rxs is definitely a steal and well thought out bike. I hope more companies come out with similar models.
    Yeah, a couple years ago after some research I spent some time wishing the carbon framed belt drive Raleigh hodala wasn't a limited edition, and came close to bidding to on two other Raleigh SSCX frames I found on ebay (the TwinSix collaboration and the High-Life). Those would've been some light SSCX rigs! But I think this is a pretty good spec, especially since front and rear thru axle isn't really standard yet in CX.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    S-1 is a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Don't believe it.
    Agreed. I would actually have to buy a lot more bikes to get close to there. That said, I am going to have to find a better storage solution (aka maybe install a hook or two instead of x number of bikes all leaning against each other), or just sell a bike that isn't being used much.

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Ooh, that sounds awesome! No bottle mounts just means it's a pure cx race bike, right!

Those would definitely be my first-choice brakes for a SS setup. Though the reach is pretty crazy!

I have a couple of zero-setback 27.2 posts (3T Ionic stealth [carbon] and a -5mm offset carbon Bontrager [or really good Bontrager knock-off; it came from ebay so can't be sure] -- although I couldn't find the one I was gonna give away to Phatboing) and a variety of stems, so let me know if you want to try something on.
    Thanks! Will do.

Yep, pure CX race bike! No need to worry about taking off cages before CX season, although really most of the miles on this thing will probably be commuting and JRA kind of stuff I imagine. I'll probably move my Iron Cross wheels over to this bike (since they can be converted to thru axle) and keep my ummm... three other disc brake wheelsets for the geared CX bike.

The long reach of the hoods I think is compensated for by the super compact bars (and running a shorter stem I guess). I found them surprisingly comfortable though and I thought the brakes worked better than any other disc brake I've used.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GB View Post
    We've been waiting to see it because you wanted fancy paint, and now you tease us with that little avenger's a on the front. More Pics!

I had a couple hours today to work on the build / move over of components. Not done, but getting close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    I like the idea of the CLD interface better than the ISO 6 bolt standard - but I'll need to take measurements/mockup the white CLD hubs. sometimes there's clearance issues (and supposedly Specialized Crux bikes are not so CLD friendly...). I'd have to dig for the purple ano Hopes, QBP doesn't stock them, I don't think... as far as tubeless, that's something I'd like to start to tinker with. I'm watching November's blog carefully; dave and mike are screwing around with a bunch of tires, and I'm wont to see what they like, or better still, what takes a good thrashing.
    Yeah, I read their blog regularly. I was a little surprised initially by the tubeless series, as I thought it was generally accepted that tubeless works great for CX. I guess there's no general agreement there (?) To be fair, I ride my tubeless (cx) tires a bit higher pressure for trail riding than would probably be preferred for actual 'cross courses (around 40-45psi for 32mm, 30-35psi for the 38+mm tires). And I suck at cornering on grass (so suck at cx racing). So perhaps burping is a practical concern I've just never experienced with my ride setup; I've definitely had great luck with Kenda SCT tires and 2Bliss Specialized tires. Hutchinson worked "fine" too except for the paper-thin sidewalls. I also generally use purpose-built (Stans) rims (in addition to purpose-built tires); it worked fine running tubeless on my Kinlin XD230 rim, but in general life is too short to ride crappy wheels/rims and the ZTR rims are so enjoyable to build, mount tires on, and ride.

The Centerlock does look a little cleaner, I agree, and it's easier to change them out (although I don't ever change rotors). The CL rotors are significantly heavier (at least my HSX rotors are), though, making the overall hub+rotor combo a fair bit heavier than 6-bolt equivalents. (Also, can you shim CL rotors -- if trying to get rotors to match perfectly on different wheelsets/hubs?) Of course, Hope hubs aren't that light; I imagine they are comparable to WI. I typically order my Hope hubs from Wiggle or elsewhere in the UK. About $280 for the hubset if you don't find the spec you need on sale. Hope hubs have been just awesome for me on MTB (and cross/commuter now), so I will keep buying them when I want hubs that can take serious abuse.

I think this winter I'm going to build a set of 40mm Novatec carbon disc-specific rims (light!) laced 24/24 w/ straight-pull spokes to DT Swiss 350 hubs. Those will be CL. Alternatively, I may save a couple hundred and just order a full CX-Ray build kit from Novatec (with their hubs), but I'm inclined to splurge for the straight-pull setup if I want to drop spoke count to 24. #firstworldproblems

Post Thanks / Like

I raise you your all black bikes and insert a belt drive and about 20-something less gears?

Maiden Voyage this morning! Fancy drop bar/stem combo that matches the styling is on the way! As is the newly created Sturmey-Archer S2K rear Hub.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150814_071732.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	9314

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    My new frame arrived.
    Build finished, rode it earlier in the week. It is nice to have a smaller frame / be more over BB.

Post Thanks / Like

My belt drive fixie (with front disc brake) is waiting for me at Bikenetic, but I've done nothing but eat, sleep, and work on my dissertation for the last few days. I did go get donuts at the new Astro, but that was before Jan built up my bike for me!

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sister in law brought this scarf back from India.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    My belt drive fixie (with front disc brake) is waiting for me at Bikenetic, but I've done nothing but eat, sleep, and work on my dissertation for the last few days. I did go get donuts at the new Astro, but that was before Jan built up my bike for me!
    How does the belt hold up with backpedaling and/or skidding?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    How does the belt hold up with backpedaling and/or skidding?
    I don't know. I still haven't picked up the bike yet. But I'll finish writing the dissertation tomorrow (still some editing to do, though)! ...wait, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah. So if it pedals forward, why wouldn't it do the backpedaling and such? Seems like the same thing in reverse.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I don't know. I still haven't picked up the bike yet. But I'll finish writing the dissertation tomorrow (still some editing to do, though)! ...wait, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah. So if it pedals forward, why wouldn't it do the backpedaling and such? Seems like the same thing in reverse.
    Just curious...I'd wager the forces are the same if your pedaling the bike from a stop, but I assume backpedaling and skidding put greater stress on the drivetrain. For example, running a chain tensioner on a fixed gear is basically impossible since the reverse force will rip it off..and I wasn't sure if belt drives were unidirectional and only meant to take stress in one direction. Some quick googling indicates that these are not issues with belt drives, although I am curious how backpedaling a belt feels vs a chain.