Page 151 of 151 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151
Results 1,501 to 1,505 of 1505

Thread: Your latest bike purchase?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    That's some sweet paint. Is that powder coated?
    Yeah, powder coat by ASCO (https://www.ascoweb.com/); I was originally going for something a little more "wow, gold!" -- but they steered me away from my color choice since it was for outdoor application. In the end, it is a little more subdued, but I think will look great (probably better than the more yellowy/brassy colors I had chosen). And they did a great job on the frame.

2. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    So maybe this is a good time to follow up on this...I have found things that work for my bike needs and wants, and very slowly I have adopted new standards to give me a better experience, but when I read about what other people are buying or trying out, I sometimes wonder if I would have even more fun and better riding experiences overall if I got out of my well-worn groove every so often. Just how much am I missing be riding the same tires all the time? Just how much am I missing by not upgrading my bargain stem or seat post? Certainly I get bitten by the bike bug every so often, and have to build up something new and different, but Iím pretty sure I donít get nearly as creative as many, particularly when I read this thread. What motivates all you gurus to try out something different? Dissatisfaction with something current? Mere curiosity? Proverbial greener pastures? Boredom?
    You are not missing out on anything if you have belt drive with no chain to maintain.

4. Likes hozn, LhasaCM, dkel liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata ELITED this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    So maybe this is a good time to follow up on this...I have found things that work for my bike needs and wants, and very slowly I have adopted new standards to give me a better experience, but when I read about what other people are buying or trying out, I sometimes wonder if I would have even more fun and better riding experiences overall if I got out of my well-worn groove every so often. Just how much am I missing be riding the same tires all the time? Just how much am I missing by not upgrading my bargain stem or seat post? Certainly I get bitten by the bike bug every so often, and have to build up something new and different, but I’m pretty sure I don’t get nearly as creative as many, particularly when I read this thread. What motivates all you gurus to try out something different? Dissatisfaction with something current? Mere curiosity? Proverbial greener pastures? Boredom?
    Good question.

For me it's basically just curiosity / enjoying trying new things. I enjoy doing the research, sourcing components, building the wheels, etc. I spend a lot of time on my bike so I notice changes and enjoy that; the simplicity and tangible nature of the bicycle is a nice counterpoint to my work. And while I probably could have bought a Buick with the amount I've spent on bikes, in general it's a cheap enough hobby that I can afford the upgrades from my "fun money" account. I tend to accrue stuff for awhile before I then put it together into a new bike.

For builds I'm doing for my kids, that's more about retrospecting on my childhood riding bikes, building the bikes I think it'd be fun to have had back then -- of course, when I was a kid I was perfectly happy with my single-speed BMX bike, ecstatic when I got a Schwinn Woodlands for my 11th birthday, and felt like a grown-up "commuting" on my Murray 10sp to middle school. For kids bikes there's a whole new set of challenges with adapting weird (small) sizes, adapting adult components, etc. that makes it fun.

Yeah, I enjoy it a lot. ... But if I could trade it for just being immensely satisfied to ride the same configuration every day, I might!

6. Likes dkel liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Good question.

For me it's basically just curiosity / enjoying trying new things. I enjoy doing the research, sourcing components, building the wheels, etc. I spend a lot of time on my bike so I notice changes and enjoy that; the simplicity and tangible nature of the bicycle is a nice counterpoint to my work. And while I probably could have bought a Buick with the amount I've spent on bikes, in general it's a cheap enough hobby that I can afford the upgrades from my "fun money" account. I tend to accrue stuff for awhile before I then put it together into a new bike.

For builds I'm doing for my kids, that's more about retrospecting on my childhood riding bikes, building the bikes I think it'd be fun to have had back then -- of course, when I was a kid I was perfectly happy with my single-speed BMX bike, ecstatic when I got a Schwinn Woodlands for my 11th birthday, and felt like a grown-up "commuting" on my Murray 10sp to middle school. For kids bikes there's a whole new set of challenges with adapting weird (small) sizes, adapting adult components, etc. that makes it fun.

Yeah, I enjoy it a lot. ... But if I could trade it for just being immensely satisfied to ride the same configuration every day, I might!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oizl5KF0e2E

Post Thanks / Like

For me at least, I enjoy keeping on top of new materials/manufacturing techniques or interesting technologies. It's pretty easy and inexpensive to get 80% of the ride quality of a top shelf bike, but that last 20% performance/ride feel is where things start getting expensive, and doing a lot of research to make sure your purchase matches your preferences is (to me) fun.

The fact that I race a decent bit changes my calculus a little. If i were just riding gran fondos, shop rides, and commuting, I wouldn't consider something like a carbon aero handlebar. But, in a race, there are measurable gains that I'm happy to take, especially with a shop/bike "sponsorship". It would be hard for me to recommend to anyone *not* racing to consider an aero carbon handlebar.

The two places where you can make the most cost effective upgrades on a bike are where the bike touches the ground, and where you touch the bike. So, for me, trying out something like new tires (usually once a season) is not really expensive, and I make it a point to try out different manufacturers and tire designs. The third most cost effective upgrade is (if you bought a bike straight off the shop floor) wheels. Dkel, you know this, but a great set of hand built wheels makes a huge difference in ride feel/perceived benefit for much less than a new gruppo.

My final point pertains to the whole N+1 notion. I usually buy a new bike every year-to-two-years. I make an effort to make sure each bike is set up almost identical fit-wise, but I do try to "play" with different component manufacturers or technologies, i.e., no bike will have the same gruppo, or wheelset, or frame material/construction style. I like being a bit of a bike maven, and I very much enjoy sharing my experiences with this BB, and with my customers at the shop. If I have customers that complain about creaky BB/PF30 bottom brackets, I prefer to own one so I can have firsthand experience with the standard.