Likes Likes:  2,200
Dislikes Dislikes:  9
ELITE ELITE:  120
Page 165 of 166 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166 LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 1657

Thread: Your latest bike purchase?

Post Thanks / Like

To help keep me biking and able to get around town for appointments during my current "low energy" phase, I went ahead and bought myself an eBike on a bit of a whim. It's a Priority Current (size medium). Got a pretty good deal between being a previous customer (bought my daughter's last two bikes from them) and a review site's discount code.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210206_213128_01.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	23756

The good:
    1. It was in stock and shipped the next day (and arrived a day later from the warehouse in PA).
    2. Very torque-y mid-drive motor.
    3. Came with fenders, plus integrated lights. And rack mounts.
    4. Belt drive!!!!! With 5-speed Shimano IGH.
    5. Tektro dual piston hydraulic disc brakes
    6. User configurable to set the speed at which the pedal assist cuts out. (Set to 20mph by default, which is where I'll keep it given my normal MBT usage/DC laws/etc., but nice to have the option to make it a class 3 bike if I wanted/were appropriate)

The not-so-good:
    1. Front wheel was jammed into the crank arm for shipping, helping to result in a very untrue wheel upon arrival. Nothing the Daily Rider couldn't fix, though of course that added to the cost. (I could've had it shipped to a LBS like City Bikes, Spokes, or Bikenetic for them to assemble at a very reasonable price, but I was impatient and wanted it ASAP.)
    2. The "brains" of the system is with the display, and the display is non-detachable. Not ideal for city-usage; not sure what it means if someone cuts the wires and steals it.
    3. Personal complaint, but it uses Schrader valves on the tubes, with 650b wheels. This means it matches none of the family's other bikes (my wife's eBike uses 700c Schrader valve tubes, and my other two bikes are 650b Presta tubeless or 700c Presta tubeless).
    4. Unclear what the origin of the motor is: rebadged name brand or no-name generic? What's the longevity going to be like?

I'll be slowly working to get back some stamina and ability (and desire) to get around. For today's ride, I decided to push it and myself while enjoying the maximum assist level. Went around 17 miles and had ~20% battery life left based on the number of bars. Seems to be slightly less than the quoted "30-60 miles depending on assist level" but I'll see how that evolves as the bike is broken in.

I did swap out the supplied pedals with some larger Stamp 3 flat pedals that I'm more used to, and also replaced the seat post/saddle with my beloved Shockstop suspension seatpost and Infinity saddle combination. I also added an Abus frame lock for the rear wheel to use with a chain to lock it when out an about.

On the "to do" list will be to see if I also want to swap in a Shockstop suspension stem like I have on my other bikes, decide if the Infinity saddle makes sense with the more upright position or if I want to do something else, and also switch the "Ergon-like" supplied grips with actual "Ergon" GP1 grips.

All in all - I'm "happy but not over the moon thrilled" with the purchase.

2. Dislikes jrenaut disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, bumped the dislike and can't seem to undo

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	jamis bigger.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	24378

New grocery-getter/townie bike. I've got a rack on the back and I'm thinking of putting grocery panniers on it. SteveO recommended Arkel's and then Banjo Brothers has some that are significantly cheaper. My issue is that my canvas grocery tote bags are wider/longer than standard grocery bags so I'm not sure how easy it will be to drop my canvas bag into the pannier. I kinda want to quickly plop my reusable canvas bags onto the bike/into a basket/pannier/whatever and then pedal off. I don't want to have to fight with fasteners or roll tops or flaps or wedging my too-big bags into panniers. It's a half mile to the store, it's not like it needs to be secure and waterproof.

May try the folding Ward side basket panniers instead - anyone have them? If so, do they rattle? Can I put them them on and take them off pretty easily like with a standard pannier?

A Surly 24-pack front rack is going on tomorrow and then I have to figure out what I'm doing with it. I'll probably just zip tie a milk crate to it initially.

Open to recommendations for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tania; 02-23-2021 at 12:05 PM.

5. Likes kwarkentien, josh, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have these Panniers, which can carry a standard grocery bag in each Pannier. They cost $70 but that's for a pair of two, so they are $35/Each. I have a rebranded version of it called JANND that you can see here. Mine has a footprint of 12"x9", but the description on Amazon says 14"x9", maybe they have changed it? Mine can hold a Whole Food bag, or two gallons of milk side by side. Please see customer images below:

https://www.amazon.com/Bushwhacker-O...dp/B00B4ZKZK0/

They are kind of awkward to carry while shopping unless you put them on a grocery cart. They have a carrying handle, see the 3rd product picture.

Removing them from a rack can be easy or hard depending on the type of rack. I had two bikes with two different racks. Axiom racks were the best. They have an angled bracket that the bottom hook attaches to. See this picture. The other rack didn't have that, just a hole and it was a struggle to get the pannier in and out.

Here are Axiom racks:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=axiom+rack&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
    https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...iner-disc-dlx/

I bought the rack from Bikenetic, but I don't know if they have the Disc compatible version.
    Last edited by n18; 02-23-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post

Name:	jamis bigger.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	24378

New grocery-getter/townie bike. I've got a rack on the back and I'm thinking of putting grocery panniers on it. SteveO recommended Arkel's and then Banjo Brothers has some that are significantly cheaper. My issue is that my canvas grocery tote bags are wider/longer than standard grocery bags so I'm not sure how easy it will be to drop my canvas bag into the pannier. I kinda want to quickly plop my reusable canvas bags onto the bike/into a basket/pannier/whatever and then pedal off. I don't want to have to fight with fasteners or roll tops or flaps or wedging my too-big bags into panniers. It's a half mile to the store, it's not like it needs to be secure and waterproof.

May try the folding Ward side basket panniers instead - anyone have them? If so, do they rattle? Can I put them them on and take them off pretty easily like with a standard pannier?

A Surly 24-pack front rack is going on tomorrow and then I have to figure out what I'm doing with it. I'll probably just zip tie a milk crate to it initially.

Open to recommendations for sure.
    I have Basil rear baskets for grocery getting. I love them and my canvas bags fit with minimal readjusting (they are about twice the size of regular paper grocery bags). Bonus: Bikenetic carries them.

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From my notes: Whole Foods grocery bag size : 12" W x 7" D x 16.5" H. Gallon of Milk footprint: 6.0" x 6.0".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    I have these Panniers, which can carry a standard grocery bag in each Pannier. They cost $70 but that's for a pair of two, so they are $35/Each. I have a rebranded version of it called JANND that you can see here. Mine has a footprint of 12"x9", but the description on Amazon says 14"x9", maybe they have changed it? Mine can hold a Whole Food bag, or two gallons of milk side by side. Please see customer images below:

https://www.amazon.com/Bushwhacker-O...dp/B00B4ZKZK0/

The bushwhacker panniers are the closest to what I had in my mind's eye and so far they are the widest at the bottom. My bags are long (16" wide at the narrowest part and I have at least four of them so I'd like to be able to use them and have the option of really stuffing them once and a while).

Sunyata - no basil memories in stock (at least not last night or not with the other baskets). They're getting in the Banjo Bros grocery panniers so I can see them in person.

11. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used a banjo brothers market pannier https://banjobrothers.com/products/market-pannier and/or my other panniers (ortlieb, North St. backpack pannier). I brought my pannier(s) into the grocery store and loaded my groceries directly into them, instead of using canvas bags.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirag View Post
    I've used a banjo brothers market pannier https://banjobrothers.com/products/market-pannier and/or my other panniers (ortlieb, North St. backpack pannier). I brought my pannier(s) into the grocery store and loaded my groceries directly into them, instead of using canvas bags.
    I do (well "did" when I shopped in person) the same thing - using Ortlieb Velo-shopper and/or Bike-shopper panniers and directly loading things into them, but those would be too narrow for the canvas bags you want to use. In the store, I would hook them onto the outside of the cart while shopping, and then when checking out just have everything go back into the cart so I could pack it myself at my leisure and not hold up the line. I have about a 3 mile ride home from the nearest stores we'd go to, so having things balanced and potentially staying dry/out of the elements was a bit more important to me and made the pricier panniers (even on sale) worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirag View Post
    Yes! I love how panniers can clip directly to the top of the sides of shopping carts. It also gives me a good idea of the capacity of what I can bring home. If you get a cart big enough, you can just have them clipped on the inside of the cart and not knock over too many apples... I mean, I imagine you'd knock over less stuff

15. Likes dbehrend liked this post