Likes Likes:  2,213
Dislikes Dislikes:  9
ELITE ELITE:  120
Page 150 of 167 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1669

Thread: Your latest bike purchase?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I am enjoying my 38mm Barlow Pass. They are fast tires (certainly feel faster than the Schwalbe G-One speed or the Roubaix Pro 2BR), especially at low speeds. I am just using standard casing -- and have no burning desire to go to the extralite. No flats yet -- knocking on wood. Though a couple of punctures (e.g. a thorn in sidewall) that were sealed by sealant. I have ridden these on a fair bit of gravel now; I think I am brave enough to even make these gravel race tires, if the course isn't too rocky (e.g. not HBR, nor Iron Cross).

Compass makes a 44mm option. Can you fit 44mm under fenders on that bike ?!

Did you do that paint job? It is very bling -- and very distinctive.

The brakes are a nice complement too. Too bad Paul doesn't make those in flat-mount (yet).

Actually, I am really surprised you didn't do the new Campy hydro.

My midlife crisis bike might be a steel road disc bike, I think -- Campy hydro. Maybe even CK hubs :-)
    I think 38 plus fender is as big as I can go, 44 w/o fender. But very interested to try some compass tires. You know I'm a huge fan of not-very-durable-but-super-comfy cotton tires like the Turbo Cottons. I picked up the 28mm Hell of the North version for this racing season. 28 is the new 25!

Paint is stock from Spec - it's crazy; really well executed off-white to black fade, with a reflective clear coat. See pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reflect.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	17735

I was tempted to go H11 disc, but pricing is not very competitive. You're basically stuck paying Super Record prices for Athena-level shifter guts. I did grab the H11 rotors, with the new rounded edges, kind of a neat trick to idiot-proof the rotors. I've only ridden it enough to bed the pads, but Campy Chorus is noticeably more Campy-feeling than the Athena. Athena shifts more like 105/Ultegra - Chorus more like/better than Dura Ace mechanical.
    Last edited by Harry Meatmotor; 04-02-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading all this I get the distinct impression that I miss out on a lot by being such a skinflint.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    I think 38 plus fender is as big as I can go, 44 w/o fender. But very interested to try some compass tires. You know I'm a huge fan of not-very-durable-but-super-comfy cotton tires like the Turbo Cottons. I picked up the 28mm Hell of the North version for this racing season. 28 is the new 25!

Paint is stock from Spec - it's crazy; really well executed off-white to black fade, with a reflective clear coat. See pic.

I was tempted to go H11 disc, but pricing is not very competitive. You're basically stuck paying Super Record prices for Athena-level shifter guts. I did grab the H11 rotors, with the new rounded edges, kind of a neat trick to idiot-proof the rotors. I've only ridden it enough to bed the pads, but Campy Chorus is noticeably more Campy-feeling than the Athena. Athena shifts more like 105/Ultegra - Chorus more like/better than Dura Ace mechanical.
    The reflective clearcoat is money! I want my next painted bike to be reflective. These damn titanium "forever frames" are making that n+1 a ways off, I think :-( I suppose I could paint titanium, but that kinda defeats the point.

Good to know re: H11 disc. I'll probably wait for that to settle down in a couple years.

My rear Schwabe Pro One rear tire has pretty much worn out at this point (lots of cuts), and my front is pretty worn too. But 3k miles on these according to Strava, so I consider that a decent run. I ordered a set of the Specialized Turbo 2Bliss 28mm tires to try them out. At $55 and 15% off it was comparable to ordering Schwalbe from the UK; I'm excited to give their "fastest tire in the world" a try.

Yeah, I don't see any reason to run less than 28mm anymore. With wide rims the profile on my 28mm road tires (which measure 30mm) is great and the ride is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Reading all this I get the distinct impression that I miss out on a lot by being such a skinflint.
    One thing you don't end up missing is your money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    One thing you don't end up missing is your money.
    True, but...bikes, you know?

Post Thanks / Like

But you've already got cool bikes! Tho, one more can't hurt!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I know, Am running out of overhead storage room in the shop. N+1 and S-1. In my world the S does not stand for Spouse it stands for Shop volume.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 04-03-2018 at 07:46 AM.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, right! Lately, my bike projects are just for my kids, since I am restricted by space to adhering to the terrible N+1,-1 rule. Next up is a 'cross & road bike for my older son, built around the Raleigh RX24. But the completely-superfluous 20" project is also coming along nicely -- but slowly (no rush, it's a bit big for my son still). I think Harry M would appreciate the color (and the reflective decals):

Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

So maybe this is a good time to follow up on this...I have found things that work for my bike needs and wants, and very slowly I have adopted new standards to give me a better experience, but when I read about what other people are buying or trying out, I sometimes wonder if I would have even more fun and better riding experiences overall if I got out of my well-worn groove every so often. Just how much am I missing be riding the same tires all the time? Just how much am I missing by not upgrading my bargain stem or seat post? Certainly I get bitten by the bike bug every so often, and have to build up something new and different, but Iím pretty sure I donít get nearly as creative as many, particularly when I read this thread. What motivates all you gurus to try out something different? Dissatisfaction with something current? Mere curiosity? Proverbial greener pastures? Boredom?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I know, right! Lately, my bike projects are just for my kids, since I am restricted by space to adhering to the terrible N+1,-1 rule. Next up is a 'cross & road bike for my older son, built around the Raleigh RX24. But the completely-superfluous 20" project is also coming along nicely -- but slowly (no rush, it's a bit big for my son still). I think Harry M would appreciate the color (and the reflective decals):

That's some sweet paint. Is that powder coated?