Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149
Results 1,481 to 1,482 of 1482

Thread: Your latest bike purchase?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    They are really great. Admittedly only one ride on them (monster cross today). They took some abuse quite happily. The hookless beads should resist rock impacts better than hooked beads, so they probably are the best choice.

They are really light. (Rims are in 440-450g range.)
    Gah! I meant to ask you how they stood up to the rocks and roots on Sunday. Glad to hear they worked well. I may be in the market for a new set of wheels for my cross bike before the season starts.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Gah! I meant to ask you how they stood up to the rocks and roots on Sunday. Glad to hear they worked well. I may be in the market for a new set of wheels for my cross bike before the season starts.
    Right now I would easily recommend these. I'm going to spend more time with them off-road at some point when our trails dry up. Not my first set of LB rims, though, and I think LB have done well to earn themselves a good reputation in the MTB scene. You can get entire wheelsets from their Pacific Northwest branch too now (https://us.lightbicycle.com/), though they cost a little more and options are more limited. I imagine it's easier to warranty with them if there does happen to be an issue; hopefully one could warranty Asia-sourced rims to the NA location too. I hope I never need to find out!

While LB isn't the cheapest, they're certainly a great value compared to bigger-name brands. The 36mm-deep rims were just under $400 after shipping fees, etc. They threw in some valve stems too, which I guess is nice when you're spending that kind of money on rims.

I went with cheaper hubs on that build. I wanted to try out the newer D791/792SB Novatec hubs. The hubs were probably $90 shipped slow-mail from China. I replaced the bearings with $40 worth of Enduro bearings, since the bearings they use in the mainland-China versions are allegedly not very good -- so still a pretty inexpensive hub option. On this particular wheel I actually used CX-Ray spokes, because I had half of the spokes already from previous projects. So it wasn't *that* much more expensive to do that. But my default would be Laser spokes. Which adds up to something like $400 (rims) + $120 (hubs) + 56 * $1 (spokes) + 56 * $0.4 (nipples) = ~$600. So not cheap, but also not very expensive wheelset when you consider they're carbon rims. Upgrading to Hope hubs for another ~$120 might be worth it for a primary or gonna-get-abused-a-lot wheelset, though I'm not at all nervous about the Novatecs as I know replacement bearings or parts are readily available and inexpensive.

My next (and final, for this bike) wheelset is gonna be Yishun's asymmetrical, 33mm-deep, 21mm-wide, hookless rims. They're a little cheaper. (Around $370 shipped.) I like that they're asymmetrical. Yishun also has a good reputation for their wheels; we'll see how they turn out.
    Last edited by hozn; 02-20-2018 at 09:05 AM.

3. Likes Sunyata, ChampionTier, Tania liked this post