Page 143 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1467

Thread: Your latest bike purchase?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Question: is that a paint marker on seatpost to mark position? Were you having issues w/ slipping? My only warning about using the alloy post in the ti frame is that if you don't use anti-seize it'll eat away the aluminum on the seatpost. I had a Thomson masterpiece for awhile on a ti frame; I couldn't really use anti-seize because it would slip (I used carbon paste), and it destroyed the seatpost. Just something to keep in mind. Ti and aluminum don't like each other -- at least the ti wins (assuming that's generally the expensive part of the equation). I found a used ti Syncros seatpost for my commuter that I really like. Avoid the KCNC seatposts (if you want to go ti) as they creak. Or at least mine did.
    Good question - that's actually the anti-seize you see on the seatpost (I must have been messing with fit right before taking the picture and didn't wipe it off). I definitely did the homework on "cold welding" and applied that stuff liberally when installing the post. As of yet no slip, but I'm still running things in. Will keep an eye on it.

And thanks! I'm super-excited to be out riding this thing around. Next step is to look at the calendar and figure out which Bikenetic Friday gravel hooky ride I can make...

And question for you - any recommendations on plugging the unused internal routing port on the down tube? I've seen people recommend clear silicone (like for caulking a bathtub) but maybe there's something better...

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by run/bike View Post
    Good question - that's actually the anti-seize you see on the seatpost (I must have been messing with fit right before taking the picture and didn't wipe it off). I definitely did the homework on "cold welding" and applied that stuff liberally when installing the post. As of yet no slip, but I'm still running things in. Will keep an eye on it.

And thanks! I'm super-excited to be out riding this thing around. Next step is to look at the calendar and figure out which Bikenetic Friday gravel hooky ride I can make...

And question for you - any recommendations on plugging the unused internal routing port on the down tube? I've seen people recommend clear silicone (like for caulking a bathtub) but maybe there's something better...
    Yeah, I figured it probably was in fact anti-seize after thinking about that a bit more..good you applied it liberally!

I don't have any recommendations on plugging the unused port, though silicone sounds like a great idea. It really is hard to notice in the photo.

Great looking bike. Hope to see it in person someday!

3. Likes run/bike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After I got my full suspension bike last year, I didn't ride my rigid fat bike too much because 1" of undamped tire deformation is no comparison to 6" of plush travel. However, I decided to squishify the fat bike by getting it a new 120mm Fox Factory 27.5+ fork - but just as valuable as I first discovered on my full sussy - a dropper post (Fox Transfer 150mm). I just cruised around the neighborhood, but I can't wait to jump around on the trails ASAP!

Foxy Vertigo Plus by ricky d, on Flickr

Last edited by drevil; 09-18-2017 at 10:22 AM. Reason: did my maths wrong. 150mm of travel = 6", not 5".

5. Likes vern, Harry Meatmotor, hozn, LhasaCM, Judd liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's N+1 day...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170917_122347100.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	15471

So, finally,a cyclocross bike. It's a Trek X02, 2010 variety. It's in great shape, essentially new components. Shimano 105 drivetrain but for the Elita cranks. It's a steal for the price I paid.
    Last edited by vern; 09-17-2017 at 10:28 PM.

7. Likes ian74, Steve O, huskerdont, hozn, sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    After I got my full suspension bike last year, I didn't ride my rigid fat bike too much because 1" of undamped tire deforming is no comparison to 5" of plush travel. However, I decided to squishify the fat bike by getting it a new 120mm Fox Factory 27.5+ fork - but just as valuable as I first discovered on my full sussy - a dropper post (Fox Transfer 150mm). I just cruised around the neighborhood, but I can't wait to jump around on the trails ASAP!

Beautiful bike. This must be a dumb question, but what's that protruding round nub mid-way up the seat post?

Are you able to clear 3.0" rear tires there -- is that a yoke chain stay or tubes? Do you know how long the chain stays are? I'm starting to collect ideas for a hard-tail (or maybe rigid) 29/27.5+ titanium MTB frame/build. Maybe a next-winter project.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    It's N+1 day...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170917_122347100.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	15471

So, finally,a cyclocross bike.
    Look forward to seeing it on the trail! -- Looks like you're already getting it dirty.

Once you get a bit comfortable on it, you should totally ride through CCT + Lake Fairfax on the way to/from work. I could ride out early and meet you, though these days that would probably be too early for daylight (maybe a bit better after time shifts back?). Exploring those trails in the dark probably isn't the best idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Look forward to seeing it on the trail! -- Looks like you're already getting it dirty.

Once you get a bit comfortable on it, you should totally ride through CCT + Lake Fairfax on the way to/from work. I could ride out early and meet you, though these days that would probably be too early for daylight (maybe a bit better after time shifts back?). Exploring those trails in the dark probably isn't the best idea.
    Haha...that's my yard. My house and backyard abut Lake Fairfax Park...the trails are right behind me. Yes, we should definitely meet up some morning when the light is more forgiving. I'm going to ride this to work on Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful bike. This must be a dumb question, but what's that protruding round nub mid-way up the seat post?

Are you able to clear 3.0" rear tires there -- is that a yoke chain stay or tubes? Do you know how long the chain stays are? I'm starting to collect ideas for a hard-tail (or maybe rigid) 29/27.5+ titanium MTB frame/build. Maybe a next-winter project.
    hozn, this is a custom titanium fat bike frame from a builder in Portland, Oregon -- Vertigo Cycles, aka Sean Chaney. It's 5 years old now, but when the builder and I were coming up with the design over 6 years ago, I don't think the 1x drivetrain design was around yet, so that nub is a mounting point for a front derailleur (covered by an Eriksen seatpost cap). This was the first fat bike frame he built, and my requirements were for the frame to fit 4" tires and have the shortest chainstays possible. The sliders can scoot in as tight as 415mm and still have mud clearance for the fat rubber. There's no special yoke, he just used tubes and welded the chainstays as far to the outside of the 100mm-wide bottom bracket as possible.

I've built it with a Lefty, a ti truss fork, and now the Fox. It's had 26" x 4"-4.8", 29" x 3", 29"x2.3", 27.5"x4", and 27.5"x3" tires in it, and the last set has been my favorite. Here's a thread I started way back when the bike was being made:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ver...ke-759458.html

If you want to see the evolution of this bike, the album is here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikece...57629399582166
    Last edited by drevil; 09-18-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    hozn, this is a custom titanium fat bike frame from a builder in Portland, Oregon -- Vertigo Cycles, aka Sean Chaney. It's 5 years old now, but when the builder and I were coming up with the design over 6 years ago, I don't think the 1x drivetrain design was around yet, so that nub is a mounting point for a front derailleur (covered by an Eriksen seatpost cap). This was the first fat bike frame he built, and my requirements were for the frame to fit 4" tires and have the shortest chainstays possible. The sliders can scoot in as tight as 415mm and still have mud clearance for the fat rubber. There's no special yoke, he just used tubes and welded the chainstays as far to the outside of the 100mm-wide bottom bracket as possible.

I've built it with a Lefty, a ti truss fork, and now the Fox. It's had 26" x 4"-4.8", 29" x 3", 29"x2.3", 27.5"x4", and 27.5"x3" tires in it, and the last set has been my favorite. Here's a thread I started way back when the bike was being made:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ver...ke-759458.html

If you want to see the evolution of this bike, the album is here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikece...57629399582166
    Wonderful - thanks for sharing the links! I love reading build threads. I feel pretty comfortable now with road/gravel geometries, clearances, etc. but know so little about MTB. Interesting re: 100mm BB. I guess I was thinking I'd do a 73mm BB shell and 148/boost spacing, though I haven't even begun to seriously research this yet. Of course, it'd be kinda nice to stick with 142x12/100x15 so I didn't need to build new wheels ... (I don't think I can switch to boost on Hope hubs w/ just endcap swaps.)

I'm unsure on the mid-fat thing. I feel like I should really like it, since I've only loved my MTB more, as tire size grew (running 2.3" Specialized Renegade now) and have enjoyed riding rigid. The one Kona 27.5+ bike I tested out felt like a slog compared to my bike, though. But I'm sure the wheels on that stock bike were really heavy as probably were the tires. So I may only run it as a 29er in the end. It'd be nice to clear 29x2.5 tires, though, so having some chainstay clearance would be nice.

I'll start a thread to solicit thoughts on this when I start thinking about it more concretely, but in interim have some catching up to do on modern MTB standards.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful - thanks for sharing the links! I love reading build threads. I feel pretty comfortable now with road/gravel geometries, clearances, etc. but know so little about MTB. Interesting re: 100mm BB. I guess I was thinking I'd do a 73mm BB shell and 148/boost spacing, though I haven't even begun to seriously research this yet. Of course, it'd be kinda nice to stick with 142x12/100x15 so I didn't need to build new wheels ... (I don't think I can switch to boost on Hope hubs w/ just endcap swaps.)

I'm unsure on the mid-fat thing. I feel like I should really like it, since I've only loved my MTB more, as tire size grew (running 2.3" Specialized Renegade now) and have enjoyed riding rigid. The one Kona 27.5+ bike I tested out felt like a slog compared to my bike, though. But I'm sure the wheels on that stock bike were really heavy as probably were the tires. So I may only run it as a 29er in the end. It'd be nice to clear 29x2.5 tires, though, so having some chainstay clearance would be nice.

I'll start a thread to solicit thoughts on this when I start thinking about it more concretely, but in interim have some catching up to do on modern MTB standards.
    I'll jump on that thread if I have something to contribute, but for now, I'll say you don't need a 100mm wide bottom bracket shell if you aren't going to get a fat bike and have no plans to ever run >4" tires.

As for boosting your Hope hubs, you might be able to if you have the right version: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/boostinator