Likes Likes:  5,724
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 532 of 534 FirstFirst ... 32432482522530531532533534 LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,320 of 5337

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

I've been pulling off the trail lately when I get a drafter. Bonus was extra distance during Freezing Saddles.

2. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm usually tickled when I get drafted on my ebike. (While I rarely sustain speeds above ~17mph on flats such as Hains Point, that is enough for some to draft behind me to catch a break for a bit, I reckon.)
    When they do decide to pass (mostly uncalled) and I see they're a rider in full logo'd racing lycra kit, aero-tucked and racing off ahead, I'm tickled knowing they've "made use of an ebike" for their direct cycling benefit, after all -- as the (small handful of) riders to ever be verbally nasty to me about being on an ebike, have universally been members of that same general demographic, unfortunately.
    That said, when someone is truly drafting right up on my wheel, in what quickly feels an inconsiderate closeness, I take a bit of perverse delight in very gradually slowing down.

4. Likes CBGanimal, Emm, buschwacker liked this post
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

You picked the wrong guy today.

Me passing a pedestrian on a sidewalk.

Pedestrian: (politely moves over, but then tells me) "Bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks."

Me: "Yes, they are. I've been riding a bike for many years and I know the law."

Pedestrian: "No they aren't."

Me (having waited for this moment for years): "I carry a copy of the relevant laws with me, would you like me to read it to you?"

Pedestrian: "No bikes on sidewalks."

Me (pulls out handy sheet of paper, reads relevant state law with citation)

Pedestrian (can't bear to admit he's wrong): "Nope."

Me (rides away into the sunset)

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    And what will you do when my answer is a resounding "NO"?
    I will respectfully back off.

How about just don't draft? 1-2 bike lengths back should be enough if you need to hang out, but other than that man/woman up to fight the headwind (if there is one) yourself.
    If someone says a friendly hello to me and politely asks if he may draft, I would be inclined to say yes, so I won't assume that everyone has the same reaction as you.
    Besides, I get a 3% bonus if someone is drafting me; win-win.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about drafting etiquette, in general, and in the time of COVID19. It seems to me that the drafter is the one at risk not the draftee. A drafter is somewhat close and in line for inhaled fluids/germs from the rider in front. I can't see where the reverse is true. Even a drafter's snot rocket can't fly against the wind to endanger the rider in front. There may be good reasons to discourage someone from drafting you, but I don't think fear of contagion is one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Friendly Guy View Post
    I've been thinking about drafting etiquette, in general, and in the time of COVID19. It seems to me that the drafter is the one at risk not the draftee. A drafter is somewhat close and in line for inhaled fluids/germs from the rider in front. I can't see where the reverse is true. Even a drafter's snot rocket can't fly against the wind to endanger the rider in front. There may be good reasons to discourage someone from drafting you, but I don't think fear of contagion is one.
    I agree with this analysis... and any drafter should be aware of how snotty I can be. Especially in cold weather. I have a lot of snot.

However this is not the reason why I hate drafters.

9. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Missed connection

My rule of thumb it is always safer to draft someone you know who is predictable, knows you are there, and feels comfortable with you riding on their wheel. Drafting involves a lot of trust by both parties. Snot rockets are not the only hazard as I discovered from the taco challenge this FS season!

11. Likes CBGanimal, creadinger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about just don't draft? 1-2 bike lengths back should be enough if you need to hang out, but other than that man/woman up to fight the headwind (if there is one) yourself.
    Perhaps there is a definition issue. To me, 1 bike length back is still drafting, 2 bike lengths, not so much, but I do know some folks who consider following for any significant length of time at any visible distance to be "drafting." As mentioned by someone else, riding any closer than 1 bike length to someone you don't know and understand their habits is begging for a sudden slowdown or stop resulting in a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hancockbs View Post
    Perhaps there is a definition issue. To me, 1 bike length back is still drafting
    not drafting, just creepy close over a long distance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hancockbs View Post
    Perhaps there is a definition issue. To me, 1 bike length back is still drafting, 2 bike lengths, not so much, but I do know some folks who consider following for any significant length of time at any visible distance to be "drafting." As mentioned by someone else, riding any closer than 1 bike length to someone you don't know and understand their habits is begging for a sudden slowdown or stop resulting in a problem.
    This. I had a women run into me from behind a couple years back on the MVT next to the airport, as she was following me close and I had to slow down quickly for a person walking slowly when there was on-coming traffic. She didn't hit me too bad and one of the on-coming cyclists went down too as she spilled into the other lane. Fortunately everyone was ok and nobody's bike was damaged, but that could easily have been worse.