Likes Likes:  5,724
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 53 of 534 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Me: Grinding up Wisconsin to turn right on M.

You (stately homeless gentleman): Out of nowhere and directly to me "You have titties."

Me: PEARL IZUMI SIZES SMALLER THAN THEY SHOULD.

Signed,

Less Chubby Than He Was at the Beginning of Freezing Saddles, Thank You Very Much

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Me: Grinding up Wisconsin to turn right on M.

You (stately homeless gentleman): Out of nowhere and directly to me "You have titties."

Me: PEARL IZUMI SIZES SMALLER THAN THEY SHOULD.
    Better retort: Maybe, but mine are getting smaller and yours are getting bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnva View Post
    This sounds a lot like the angry guy I passed a few weeks ago. We need to come up with a name for this guy. He certainly does hate people behind him.
    Next time I see him he is getting a big "On your left friend!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pfunkallstar View Post
    You: Friend (but-you-don't-know-it) on the blue road bike with white shirt
    Me: The guy in the orange jacket absentmindedly drafting you after the Corkscrew of Doom

Sorry. I really am sorry that I drafted you. I didn't mean anything by it, I got a new job today and was just pedaling along thinking about lots of other stuff, I should have been paying more attention. That was my fault, apologies.

I would have happily passed you, but your furious F-bombs-of-fury made me want to at least ask "How are you doing?" I don't think your are a "stuck up asshole" as you said, rather, I think you are a guy who needs a friend, ear, and good ride.

I hope the rest of your ride went well, like I said, I hope civility wins out.

Keep on trucking...as if you would ever stop trucking

BEST!

PFUNKALLSTAR
    One year of bike commuting and two months of browsing this forum, and I now find myself featured in a missed connection. Somehow I thought it would be different, but there you are. Alright then sir, allow me to reply:

Me: Blue bike white shirt guy.
    You: The person I just passed on a dark and winding stretch of the Custis, who then silently turned it on and affixed himself to my back wheel.

Yes, I unleashed an f-bomb or three. Why? Well I have never gone fast enough to attract a drafter, and I was caught off-guard. After I realized you werenít there by accident, I assumed you were passive-aggressively expressing your displeasure at an etiquette infraction I must have committed when I passed. (Did I forget to call out my pass? I try to be respectful, but it happens.) But then I thought maybe you just decided that I had too much room to maneuver around pedestrians, potholes, branches, etc., a problem which you took upon yourself to fix my silently ghosting along six inches behind me. As I said last night after I asked you if you wanted to pass, most unfortunately with the help of a profane adjective, your riding was rude, dangerous and just a little creepy. You say you were sorry, which is kind of you despite your qualifications. How does one "absentmindedly" draft someone? I say I overreacted: crude language solves nothing. Let's just leave it at that.

I do not need a friend; I just need to get home safely. If, however, you are lonely, might I suggest you give JNVA a call? I wonít cop to his identification (Iíve only thrown one hissy fit this year) but it sounds like you and he have a lot in common.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI--the above post was flagged by the system, partly due to it being the first post by a new member. I have validated it with the hope that we can have some good discussion come from this interaction and that angry feelings can be worked out!

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was once so absentminded that I rear-ended a car! Yes, while on a bike (fortunately at very low speed). Not one of my proudest moments (it was funny though ).

I can see how someone travelling on the same route day after day and is experienced riding in pacelines could absentmindedly draft someone. Think of how often cars tailgate one another or manage to rear end each other at intersections or highway merges. I've also found myself on the George Mason bridge when I hadn't intended to be there due to my brain being on commute autopilot.

Obviously I wasn't there so maybe pfunk was acting weird. Irrespective of the circumstances I think simply pulling over and stopping to give him a chance to pass and move on would have been the least stressful way to handle the situation for all parties concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

Pfunk---don't you ride fixed/single speed?
    I ask because I get the feeling some riders don't understand how that affects pace.
    I ride fixed.
    Once I spin up, what you see is pretty much what you get from there out unless there is a noticeable grade change.
    What that means is that I will pass you at the same speed at which I caught up with you---can't switch gears and hammer away, after all. It also means that I may hold off on passing even after catching up because I know the terrain is about to make you faster than me.
    I offer this up only to provide some perspective.
    When it comes down to it, I feel lucky to have this commute as an option---most of the things that annoy me are more a reflection of my need to chill than a serious problem in and of themselves.

8. 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM

I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Different folks have different definitions of drafting. Sometimes when I am putzing along and someone passes me, I will speed up and follow, waiting to pass at a safe place. I am following and not drafting, but someone might get the wrong impression. Similarly, different paces in different types of terrain can cause these issues. In general, it is best not to ascribe bad motives to others when there are different possible interpretations.

Now, to the guy that was tailgating me on the MVT and 4MRT this evening: I don't mind being drafted, but I couldn't tell how close you were. I realize that you may have been taking advantage of my better lights and following me. I hope you got a good workout.. However, I was having a hard time picking out the trail with my lights and perhaps it would have been in your best interest to back off a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

This is fantastic, exactly why I participate in this forum.

I don't ride a fixie but I do ride the exact same route every day, not because I have to, I just like to - it gives me a chance to think and just be alone (ironic given that this post is about NOT being alone).

Like I said, I apologize for getting up on your wheel and can certainly understand how someone could be creeped out by that, albeit I don't think I'm a particularly creepy guy. I really am sorry, like you said "you want(ed) to have your ride" and I messed that up for you.

Have an awesome ride and I hope that you didn't suffer from sloshy derailleur as I did this morning.

Keep on trucking!

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So when does following become drafting? Anyone want to offer up a general standard?