Likes Likes:  5,332
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 514 of 515 FirstFirst ... 14414464504512513514515 LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,140 of 5143

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    It was on my bike on Tuesday right on the top tube closer to about 3pm. I was stunned when I saw the pink slip, but who knows how it got there? Do you think anyone at DC DMV will have a sense of humor?
    Not saying it's impossible, but I've never known anyone at a DMV to have a sense of humor.

2. Likes Hancockbs, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    That plate has 5 other unpaid tickets for the past month in DC.
    The 6 tickets are all from the same area too. I wonder if it was the driver or a passerby that moved the ticket from the car to your bike.
    Last edited by dbehrend; 03-21-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    It was on my bike on Tuesday right on the top tube closer to about 3pm. I was stunned when I saw the pink slip, but who knows how it got there? Do you think anyone at DC DMV will have a sense of humor?
    More specifically, it's dated ~10am. It's possible in the intervening hours it blew off to or was thrown away near your bike and someone else stuck it on the bike....

Post Thanks / Like

An interesting Missed Connection / case of bad cyclist behavior; as I was car-based...

Me: In my car driving home from the cathedral. Roll to a stop on Woodley, 2 cars back from the red light to cross 34th Street.

You: Zipping down Woodley ahead of me as I had slowed to the stop, I watch you just moderately slow for that same red, to check both ways at least(!) -- before you continue uninterrupted through the red light, leaving us cars to obey the law you chose to ignore. How quickly the irony of this will unfold...

Me: Then, proceeding down Woodley, eventually I pass you, until reaching the Stop sign at Woodley & Klingle, where I stopped.

You: Quickly pulling up beside me (my window down for the nice weather) to admonish me, "You just blew through 3 stop signs, dude!" (Predictably enough you then continued directly through the Klingle stop sign without actually stopping there...)

(Important Note; there weren't 3 stop signs on Woodley between the light at 34th and Klingle -- just the 1 stop sign I stopped at. While other side streets feed into Woodley in that stretch, Woodley doesn't stop for them. Perhaps you've confused those intersections as requiring stops, anyway? -- In which case, you also blew through the same 3 {nonexistent} stops you've accused me of...)

Me: Catching up with you once more as we both approach the 3-way stop at Cathedral Ave -- where I again stop; but you don't even bother to slow down this time, and blow through it at speed.

Us: Proceeding down Cathedral Ave now, you in front of me taking the lane --- but then slowing to 10 mph as you check your phone while coasting along.

All too happily, we parted ways at 29th Street!
    Last edited by ChristoB50; 03-25-2019 at 08:50 PM.

6. Likes Judd, Emm, LhasaCM, ginacico, kwarkentien liked this post
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    How quickly the irony of this will unfold...
    This story reminded me of one from long ago, before the Missed Connection thread, or this forum, or even the internet.

I was walking down the street, I think from Adams-Morgan Day to Metro. A jerk cyclist was hotdogging his way down the street. I'm talking wheelies and weaving through traffic. No stopping for lights and such, of course. I see him continue down the street ahead of me, jerk-like, until I lose sight of him.

Then I hear screeching tires.

I soon catch up with jerk-face, now walking (uninjured) carrying his smashed-up bike.

8. Likes Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is sometimes hard to resist the schadenfreude that comes with encounters unfolding like that...! All the more so here, since it was, fortunately, human-injury-free!
    My last memorable schadenfreude moment was when a tight group of high-speed racer/trainers, lapping at Hains Point, got pulled over by a DC cop for blowing through THE stop sign (the one with the added "All bicycles must stop" signage!) as they flew past me while I came to a stop there)... I then got to continue my biking, passing the riders and cop, happily not getting flagged over by him to join the group.

10. Likes Emm, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last night I decided to walk home rather than bike because, after a long day, I didn't have the energy to deal with traffic. I could only smile at the irony after almost getting taken out in the crosswalk at 21st and Penn by a CaBi rider wearing a helmet and high-viz vest!

12. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me: Traveling south on the 15th Street bike lane

You: A cyclist

You first drew my attention when you rolled onto the hood of a car that was making a right turn from K Street onto 15th Street. You bounced up very quickly and didn't curse the driver out, since you were at fault as your made a sweeping left turn from K Street onto 15th. Then down at the Pennsylvania Avenue plaza in front of the White House, you ran into a cyclist going the other way, knocking both of you to the ground. You seem to have a depth-perception problem...

14. Likes CBGanimal, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me: On my bike on 23d turning left on Eads in Crystal City

You: Motorist, deciding to turn left from the far right lane, putting you diagonally across the traffic lanes.

I may have irritated you by suggesting you just go around the block. Sorry if that was the case. Turns out, I was wrong as well. You didn't want to make a left turn from the right lane, you wanted to make a U-turn, brushing me in the process.

Bike is OK, I am OK, but the front skewer nut seemed to have popped your left rear wheel cover off. Sorry 'bout that.

Maybe driver's ed needs to be lengthened by 5 minutes for a short lesson on going around the block.

A motorist who watched this unfold pulled up alongside me a block down Eads to make sure I was OK. Thank you.
    Last edited by dbb; 04-27-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm Too Important to Obey the Law - Alexandria Edition

1. Yes there is a stop sign before you enter the traffic oval of John Carlyle Street. In fact there are TWO. Thanks for reacting to my frantic arm waving and shouting so you did not hit me.

2. That is a bike lane next to the curb on Jamieson Avenue, not a parking space. I am not sorry I startled you when I rapped on your window while you were tapping away on your phone. You knew exactly how wrong you were while going back to your phone and ignoring me. I'm getting tired of this $#!+ while people are dying. I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John Carlyle St.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	20023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HowardBeale.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	20024