Likes Likes:  5,554
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 24 of 526 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124524 ... LastLast

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

We were taking about little kids in these last few posts. Careful judgments need to be made about the potential receptiveness of others. Of the two people I tried to help after some friendly conversation, one was very obviously a beginning bike rider and the other turned out to be a lost and somewhat clueless tourist. Both seemed to be looking around for someone to help them, so it wasn't just luck that they were receptive.

With regard to the post above, it speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 08-19-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Need coffee.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting point -- my son and I were on the receiving end of some fast cyclist vitriol yesterday, mid-morning. We went to Spokes in Vienna and as we left, we decided to ride down the same side of Maple and cross that street at the W&OD, where we'd have a signal and no turning cars to contend with. When we got there, the light was red for the trail and already a long line of cyclists and pedestrians was forming to cross. My son was attempting to position himself in line (coming at it from the side) and was partially blocking the opposite side of the trail while he was maneuvering. A cyclist coming the other way blew through the red signal and yelled, "you're standing in the middle of the road!" at my son. My son was so upset, he asked afterwards what is wrong with a society where people yell at bystanders while they break the law (yes, he did articulate it that way).

But really, cyclists looking for a speedy workout? The eastern portions of the W&OD in the middle of a Saturday morning when the weather is beautiful? There are some country lanes out in Loudon if you are so desperate to go fast you are reduced to yelling at kids.

Sorry for my rant.

Liz (a.k.a. Tiger mother)

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, this guy didn't miss
    http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/...ck-3798718.php

Fortunately, the cyclist is (relatively) OK.

Post Thanks / Like

To the racer drafting the 18 wheeler on the FFX county parkway trail (downhill on the detour toward the greenway; I really hope the truck was somehow construction-related or that guy really shouldn't be driving): I'm not sure I'd ride that close in the blind spot of a big truck, but when the truck exited the detour back onto the parkway, I was really impressed with the way you cut off the oncoming car and then zipped around the truck, managing to avoid the left hook. Had it been me I'd need new bike shorts at the very least.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello to the man I attempted to help in an ill-fated Good Samaritan gesture (late afternoon on the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge):

I'm very sorry my tube didn't fit your tire. I realized when I was almost home that I still had the money you kindly offered me for the tube, even though the tube ended up being the wrong size! If you read this, please let me know how I can get your money back to you. We were both too polite; you in offering the money and me in taking it. And now see how it turned out!

Hope you got home okay, if late.

Liz

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if the tube didn't fit? Tubes are supposedly quite flexible in terms of what tires/wheels they will actually fit.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    Do you know if the tube didn't fit? Tubes are supposedly quite flexible in terms of what tires/wheels they will actually fit.
    When I changed out my 700c, 12 year old tires I found a 27" tube that had been rolling fine for at least 6 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    The tube was 700 x 23-25 and the tire was 700 x 28 1/2. I thought it would be adequate to get him to the bike shop at least, but he didn't want to chance it.

Liz
    Last edited by eminva; 08-23-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: circumference.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Kudos on helping out. FWIW, I think at that size differential the tube would've been more than fine.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post
    The tube was 700 x 23-25 and the tire was 700 x 28 1/2. I thought it would be adequate to get him to the bike shop at least, but he didn't want to chance it.

Liz
    They're very stretchy. It should have worked, at least as a temp.