Likes Likes:  5,724
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 13 of 534 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Anyone notice the large uptick in horseflies? I think that's what they are. They are really, really big. Often seen near the communal gardens on the WO&D in Arlington near Phoenix Bikes.
    Ugh. Those things bite like a @#$%*&$%@#@%.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone notice the large uptick in horseflies? I think that's what they are. They are really, really big. Often seen near the communal gardens on the WO&D in Arlington near Phoenix Bikes.
    The ones that bite? I had the pleasure of meeting them during each of my two tire changes Saturday morning.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one whose SOP is to ride with glasses. But lately with the steamy conditions and my tendency to fog up glasses whenever I stop, I have been riding with them less. I'm somewhat amazed that certain species of bugs survive when they clearly have no self-preservation instincts. I have had more large flying things bounce off my eyes and set them to watering than I feel rightfully should. The unlucky ones find themselves in a bath of hydrochloric acid. Really, bug? You didn't see that coming?

Post Thanks / Like

To the bearded guy in a straw hat riding a CaBi up Columbia Pike this morning: I salute you dude.

Post Thanks / Like

You: shambling trail zombie with a broken piece of pipe and over ear headphones on the WO&D heading towards Hunter Mill- first, good for you for getting out postmortem, dragging leg, loose jaw and all but brandishing your crazy pipe at passing riders isn't a way to make friends.
    Last edited by GuyContinental; 07-13-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: He was older and clearly had a physical issue so I gave him a wiiiide berth

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a euphemism?

Post Thanks / Like

Me - doing my laps at Hains Point
    You - father with 2 little girls and wife with a ridiculously cute dog on a fully extended retractable leash that darted across the road in front of me
    Me – jammed the brakes to avoid the dog and as I passed, exclaimed, “jeez!”
    You - setting a good example for your children gasped sarcastically and said, “oh my god, it’s the worst thing ever!”

Sir, actually, no, my seeing you and your family and having my hands on the brakes ready for what might happen as I passed was in fact not the worst thing ever. The worst thing ever may have been if it were about 1 minute hence as a peloton of about 40 guys going 25mph (maybe faster) with really no expectations of slowing down and your dog darted in from of THEM. Your children would have had the pleasure of seeing your dog run over and quite possibly a horrific crash involving who knows how many riders. But as it was, it was just me, so no harm done, but I appreciate your apology for creating the dangerous situation. Oh wait, there wasn’t one.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, every time I read this thread, I'm thankful that it has been quite a long while since I've had any issue that required me to do more than put it quickly behind me (literally).

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing hornets hanging out around the sand playground there.

Hornets are really really big - up to 2 inches long. I've seen a few recently; I think they're out.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

You - the 20 or so people, adults and kids of various ages, all on bikes, together on the sidewalk south of Independence east of the Lincoln Memorial today. I know its only a sidewalk (albeit wide) and only suitable for very slow riding with all the pedestrians, but when TWENTY of you need to stop to determine where you are going, it would be very nice, to both other slow riders and to pedestrians, if you could move OFF the sidewalk, because you were actually blocking the entire sidewalk.