Likes Likes:  5,724
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 103 of 534 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 5337

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    If this does not show how messed up No Va street names are nothing will. For one, there is of course also a Westmoreland Street in Fairfax County as well as the aforementioned one in Arlington. The prize for the lamest street name ever has to be West Westmoreland Road in Falls Church City about 2 miles away from the one in Arlington. Yet another Westmoreland with the awkward West before Westmoreland, extraordinarily lengthy name to write, duplicates two existing neighboring jurisdictions and the road itself is a cul de sac that picks up on the other side of a creek, plus at that location when you look at Lee Highway the sign says that on one side of the road in Fairfax County and on the Falls Church City side, it says Washington Street. More evidence that Falls Church City planners are sad excuses for human beings. How do newcomers pick up on this?
    A close second in the "Confusing to Newcomers" street awards would be Braddock and West Braddock roads. Braddock is west of West Braddock, and the two do not connect. But I get it, NoVA! Joke's on me! Good one!

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krazygl00 View Post
    A close second in the "Confusing to Newcomers" street awards would be Braddock and West Braddock roads. Braddock is west of West Braddock, and the two do not connect. But I get it, NoVA! Joke's on me! Good one!
    It gets even worse as Braddock approaches Centreville. There are two other disconnected Braddocks once the main Braddock becomes New Braddock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krazygl00 View Post
    Did anyone mention the problem Arl/Alex has with Glebes? In the Potomac Yard area, East and West Glebe are south of South Glebe, and they're all within a mile or two of one another making for WAY too many Glebe Roads within a small area.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Missed connection

You: Guy fishing in sewage-infested 4 Mile Run yesterday by the Rt. 1 underpasses. I stopped to make sure you had heard about the sewage spill and the notice to avoid the water. You said you had, and that everything was fine because you were wearing latex gloves.

Me: Thoroughly grossed out, but at least able to ride on with a clear conscience.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popsicleian View Post
    You: Guy fishing in sewage-infested 4 Mile Run yesterday by the Rt. 1 underpasses. I stopped to make sure you had heard about the sewage spill and the notice to avoid the water. You said you had, and that everything was fine because you were wearing latex gloves.

Me: Thoroughly grossed out, but at least able to ride on with a clear conscience.
    I'm hoping it was catch and release.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    I'm hoping it was catch and release.
    He said it was. Perhaps I'm a wuss, but it still grosses me out.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Did anyone mention the problem Arl/Alex has with Glebes? In the Potomac Yard area, East and West Glebe are south of South Glebe, and they're all within a mile or two of one another making for WAY too many Glebe Roads within a small area.
    Even, better, they intersect!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want missed connections, you can't do much better than this. My old realtor lived on 26th St N and it took me half an hour to find her house for the first time. Click that link and see how many roads, places, or streets named 25th you can find that don't connect to each other.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm from Charlotte. I have no sympathy for street naming wusses. One of the main intersections is Providence-Providence-Queens-and-Queens -- where you change streets if you go straight. And don't get me started with the Sharons this map doesn't do them justice(Sharon Rd, Sharon Ln, Sharon Rd West, Sharon View, all of which are major roads that you have to turn at least once to stay on).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    If you want missed connections, you can't do much better than this. My old realtor lived on 26th St N and it took me half an hour to find her house for the first time. Click that link and see how many roads, places, or streets named 25th you can find that don't connect to each other.
    I used to live on 12th St. S.http://goo.gl/maps/TF0LL The 12th St. S that intersects with Columbus St. Not the one that connects with S. Frederick. And continuing West...not the one that connects with Quincy or S. Glebe or Courthouse Rd. or S. Queen or S. Hayes or S. Eades. Between Rte. 7 and the Potomac you could hit a dozen 12th St. Souths that I didn't live on.

I could not get food delivered.
    Last edited by txgoonie; 05-29-2013 at 04:57 PM.