Page 477 of 493 FirstFirst ... 377427467475476477478479487 ... LastLast
Results 4,761 to 4,770 of 4927

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by closebr View Post
    Yesterday, as I was heading southbound on the College Park Trolley Trail in the rain, I approached the elevated crosswalk at Berwyn Road.
    Yeah........ that intersection always bothers me. Most motorists are REALLY good about waiting for cyclists, slowing and/or stopping. There's always that one..... And to be completely fair, it's very tough for them to see you if you're heading southbound. With that gravel lot right there, you are always entering the crosswalk offset from where it actually is, either east if you go down the ramp or west if you go across the gravel. I don't have good solutions for that intersection, but it would be awesome if that gravel lot disappeared (which it won't).

2. Likes closebr liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by notinthe18 View Post
    ... But I am trying to maintain a positive outlook, so let me also say that I was grateful for several other friendly riders this morning, including my new friend who commutes SB on the MVT whom I've seen a couple of days in a row who always says hello!
    Probably Fast Friendly Guy (FFG).

4. Likes notinthe18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm used to drivers telling me, "Get off the road!" Not pleased with it, but used to it. But I got a ridiculous extension of that this morning.

Me: Driving southbound on Old Georgetown Road. There are three lanes each direction, and a median strip in the middle.
    Guy driving northbound on Old Georgetown Road yells at me to "Get off the road!" Yeah, he's got three lanes his direction, and I'm not in any of them. And he couldn't possibly get over to where I am, because there is a median strip in the way.

SMH.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Me: Driving southbound on Old Georgetown Road. There are three lanes each direction, and a median strip in the middle.
    Guy driving northbound on Old Georgetown Road yells at me to "Get off the road!" Yeah, he's got three lanes his direction, and I'm not in any of them. And he couldn't possibly get over to where I am, because there is a median strip in the way.
    I haven't had an opportunity yet, but I keep waiting for the next time a motorist yells something at me to reply with a simple, "Why?" Not that I suspect the motorist who yelled at you is likely to be thoughtful, but I do wonder if it might stimulate some neuronic activity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I haven't had an opportunity yet, but I keep waiting for the next time a motorist yells something at me to reply with a simple, "Why?" Not that I suspect the motorist who yelled at you is likely to be thoughtful, but I do wonder if it might stimulate some neuronic activity.
    Alas, I fear it would stimulate a lengthy response--with those parts not actually consisting of curse words boiling down to, "I own this road, and see no reason that anyone else should use it in a way that inconveniences me."

A reasoned discussion, in which I could provide citations to the relevant laws, is not possible when someone yells at me while passing me.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have experienced the "I own this road" attitude from motorists. My experience is that the road is no place to have a nuanced discussion or an argument. I have gotten to the point where I just give a thumbs up instead of some obscene gesture. Shuts them up everytime. Most disputes come out of an irrational sense of extreme impatience anyways. If logic and truth were important, no one would be upset at cyclists. There is no good reason why, but asking why will not work.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

9. Likes KWL, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by closebr View Post
    I too have experienced the "I own this road" attitude from motorists. My experience is that the road is no place to have a nuanced discussion or an argument. I have gotten to the point where I just give a thumbs up instead of some obscene gesture. Shuts them up everytime. Most disputes come out of an irrational sense of extreme impatience anyways. If logic and truth were important, no one would be upset at cyclists. There is no good reason why, but asking why will not work.

Doing loops on Haines Point which I do a lot of since I live in SW DC, I have always found that drivers on Buckeye Drive are very impatient. Many people who use it use it as a short cut and think that the 25 MPH speed limit does not apply to them, I often wish that there was a sign on that stretch that I could point to.

(That's two posts in a row that I remembered to answer the random post before posting.)

11. Likes closebr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Yeah, he's got three lanes his direction, and I'm not in any of them.
    I often use a 1/2 mile portion of Beach Drive to get between my neighborhood and the stretch of Rock Creek Trail that goes northbound from the DC border (toward Lake Needwood). It's a quiet part of Beach Drive (most people get on or off at West Beach Drive near Silver Spring), and I am almost always going against the main traffic flow and at slightly odd hours. About half the time, not a single car passes me. This doesn't stop the occasional driver going the other direction from giving me a disapproving gesture or honk of reproach for slightly delaying some vehicle that exists only in their head.

Most drivers on that stretch are pretty courteous though.
    Last edited by secstate; 03-08-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: grammar/usage

13. Likes Crickey7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Doing loops on Haines Point which I do a lot of since I live in SW DC, I have always found that drivers on Buckeye Drive are very impatient. Many people who use it use it as a short cut and think that the 25 MPH speed limit does not apply to them, I often wish that there was a sign on that stretch that I could point to.

(That's two posts in a row that I remembered to answer the random post before posting.)
    Those pesky short-cuts in DC are a problem. I often have problems with impatient drivers on Beach and Blagden in Rock Creek Park. The speed limit is 25, but folks want to go much faster. Those roads probably shouldn't be used for through traffic anyways, too narrow, but unfortunately make good short-cuts. To top it off, they are the only good options for cyclists.

15. Likes ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    I often wish that there was a sign on that stretch that I could point to
    I routinely point out the 15mph signs to drivers who blast by me on Jefferson & Madison. Surprisingly, one will occasionally slow down.

What makes it funny is my average speed is ~15-17mph on those two roads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

17. Likes sjclaeys, secstate, KLizotte, huskerdont liked this post