Page 494 of 496 FirstFirst ... 394444484492493494495496 LastLast
Results 4,931 to 4,940 of 4954

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Two of them today.

First, as we're taking the lane on Gallows (where there is no bike lane) at 6:40am just north of the dunn loring metro stop before Cedar, a guy on a touring type motorcycle comes screaming up behind us, lays on his horn, passes us super close and yells "GET ON THE SIDEWALK!" Uh, way to share the road dude.

Then on W&OD, the light at Nash is red so I stop (there were cars coming down Nash without turn signals on so I figured they were pulling into the garage there. I was right about them going straight into the garage but another cyclist ignored the red light completely almost got hit. And then *I* got yelled at by the driver who almost hit him. Because, you know, I'd actually stopped at the red light to wait. I catch up to the red light runner on the TR Bridge where he was crawling along. You run red lights but you're afraid of riding on that bridge?
    Last edited by Tania; 09-07-2017 at 08:08 AM.

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Two of them today.

First, as we're taking the lane on Gallows (where there is no bike lane) at 6:40am just north of the dunn loring metro stop before Cedar, a guy on a touring type motorcycle comes screaming up behind us, lays on his horn, passes us super close and yells "GET ON THE SIDEWALK!" Uh, way to share the road dude.
    Ugh, what a poser. Motorcyclists have only one enemy: Cagers*. Any energy and focus you waste yelling at non-cagers can't be used to avoid actual threats.

*"cager" is a motorcyclist epithet for drivers, if that wasn't obvious...

3. Likes OneEighth, ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Ugh, what a poser. Motorcyclists have only one enemy: Cagers*. Any energy and focus you waste yelling at non-cagers can't be used to avoid actual threats.

I was riding with a speaker playing music once when I happened to ride by a motorcycle guy (on foot - he had leather and Harley gear on, etc). I just happened to be playing "Born to Be Wild." We silently nodded to each other. I did not rev my motor since I don't have one.

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    I did not rev my motor since I don't have one.
    Did you at least flex your quads?

6. Likes secstate liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Then on W&OD, the light at Nash
    Custis?

Post Thanks / Like

Did you at least flex your quads?
    As always. Then he flexed his beer belly.

Post Thanks / Like

I was right about them going straight into the garage but another cyclist ignored the red light completely almost got hit. And then *I* got yelled at by the driver who almost hit him. Because, you know, I'd actually stopped at the red light to wait.
    The driver yelled at you because, after having missed the first rider, you deprived him/her of the opportunity to run over at least one of you.

Reminds me of the time I was berated by a driver for being a scofflaw cyclist while patiently waiting for the green arrow from Lee Hwy to Westmoreland.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    We silently nodded to each other. I did not rev my motor since I don't have one.
    Oh, c'mon!! It's easy to make the "vrrooomm, vrooomm" sound.

11. ELITE baiskeli ELITED this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

One perfect morning I was waiting at a light to turn left and a motorcyclist pulled up behind me and said, "They just don't know what they're missing, do they?" Good times.

13. Likes streetsmarts, baiskeli liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You: giant red trailer truck turning left onto Rhodes St to cross Arlington Blvd.
    Me: hoping you will get on with it and clear the intersection
    You: now having second thoughts about the wisdom of your turn given the road is far too narrow for your bleeding trailer rig so you decided to back up...
    Me: Grrr GPS