Page 478 of 500 FirstFirst ... 378428468476477478479480488 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,780 of 4998

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    I routinely point out the 15mph signs to drivers who blast by me on Jefferson & Madison. Surprisingly, one will occasionally slow down.

What makes it funny is my average speed is ~15-17mph on those two roads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
    On Beach Drive between Tilden and Blagden, if I ride 15 MPH or higher, no driver gets upset, if I get any slower than that, like on the hill up Blagden, people start getting angry.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, do not get me started on the drivers who complain about being held up on Beach Drive by a cyclist. It's a freaking National Park, not the training grounds for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It shouldn't be open to commuter traffic at all.

3. Likes dasgeh, huskerdont, KLizotte, secstate, closebr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I routinely point out the 15mph signs to drivers who blast by me on Jefferson & Madison. Surprisingly, one will occasionally slow down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk
    That used to be my commute route, and of course I'd get passed by NPS police and Circulator buses going way over the speed limit all of the time.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Alas, I fear it would stimulate a lengthy response
    My thought wasn't to attempt to engage in an extended interlocution, but add this to the lexicon of responses in which there is no further opportunity for interaction (like the one you describe). One can choose to flip the bird, give a thumbs-up, yell a curse word, ignore,....or yell "Why?"

Seems as good as any of the others.

6. Likes closebr, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They changed the lights I think last year (or was it the year before?) on Jefferson, so now to comfortably make the light at 7th St going west, you need to bike a solid 17-20 mph starting at the light at 14th St. I'm sure drivers have noticed this too and sped up. Often that speed is doable on a bike in the AM, but if you add in slowing down for a pedestrian or two in the crosswalks, you're stuck at a reaalllllly long light at 7th st. Drivers deal with this by overcompensating and speeding up even more I've noticed.

I have started going the Case Bridge route instead some mornings, since going that fast to make the light at 7th means I have less ability to safely slow down or stop when pedestrians decide to cross the street without looking or walk right in front of my bike at an intersection when they have a no-walking signal...

8. Likes notinthe18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This happened yesterday while I was on a walk. Not biking, but I thought I'd mention it.

Me: waiting to cross Van Dorn St at Taney Ave
    (Van Dorn St light turns red; walk signal comes on)
    Me: walks out into the crosswalk after a second or two
    You: southbound Driver of a grey Prius on Van Dorn St, goes into the intersection through the red, luckily missing me because I was already in the next lane
    Me: looks incredulously at you while this happens and gesturing "WTF?" (actually a magic spell that casts bad luck on the driver)
    You: continue to drive, then 2 blocks down the road stop as your car breaks down (the car behind him was accompanying him, so they pulled over to assist)
    Me: (to the world) I want all of you drivers to know that I have this power; I'll use it if I need to!

10. ELITE scoot, komorebi, Sunyata, bentbike33, Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Instant Karma Payback

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    This happened yesterday while I was on a walk. Not biking, but I thought I'd mention it.

Me: waiting to cross Van Dorn St at Taney Ave
    (Van Dorn St light turns red; walk signal comes on)
    Me: walks out into the crosswalk after a second or two
    You: southbound Driver of a grey Prius on Van Dorn St, goes into the intersection through the red, luckily missing me because I was already in the next lane
    Me: looks incredulously at you while this happens and gesturing "WTF?" (actually a magic spell that casts bad luck on the driver)
    You: continue to drive, then 2 blocks down the road stop as your car breaks down (the car behind him was accompanying him, so they pulled over to assist)
    Me: (to the world) I want all of you drivers to know that I have this power; I'll use it if I need to!
    This is what I call "Instant Karma Payback".

12. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This happened many years ago in College Park, when I was leaving the REI and briefly rode on Route 1 to get to the Shopper's groceries.

As I made the left turn onto Route 1, one car pulled up really close to me and the kid in the passenger seat leaned out and yelled in my ear to spook me. They accelerated off, laughing hysterically, at the same time getting into the right lane to turn onto Cherry Hill. Super-PO'd, I waved at them and kept shouting thank you.

The driver and passenger were looking back at me (in their mirrors), laughing their arses off, when all of sudden, BANG! they rear end the car waiting to make the right turn onto Cherry Hill too! As I ride by, I lean towards their window, and do my best Nelson, "HA! HA!" and ride away with a huge grin on my face.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	route1bike.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	14456

14. Likes Birru, DCAKen, Steve O, bobco85, Jenkinms and 1 others liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata, scoot, Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This cab driver couldn't be bothered to use a turn signal coming off of Key Bridge onto the Whitehurst ramp, but did provide other signals.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    This cab driver couldn't be bothered to use a turn signal coming off of Key Bridge onto the Whitehurst ramp, but did provide other signals.
    Did you get the license plate? Can you report him?