Page 487 of 500 FirstFirst ... 387437477485486487488489497 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,870 of 4998

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Ninja drafter sucking my wheel for half a mile or so before passing without calling, much less offering to pull for a while (which I would have declined, but still).

Classy.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a jogger crossing the GW Parkway at the crossing of death from the Mt. V trail toward Memorial Bridge. One lane of cars had stopped for him and he was in front of it ready to cross the other lane. A car comes speeding through that lane and nearly hits him.

Thing is, I don't know if he had pressed the button for the warning light or not. If not, it was a bad mistake for that reason. Cars in the far lane may not see you because you're hidden by cares in the other lane, so they'll gun it through the other one because it's still moving or open. So always look before you cross that second lane and always press the button before you cross.

3. Likes streetsmarts, CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just immediately slow down to a crawl when I notice a drafter. Saves me from saying something to them I'll regret, and from being rear-ended by them if I have to suddenly stop.

5. Likes Drewdane, Cangrande liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    I just immediately slow down to a crawl when I notice a drafter. Saves me from saying something to them I'll regret, and from being rear-ended by them if I have to suddenly stop.
    You're doing it wrong: you're supposed to drop them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    Hope you're not doing this to riders who are being PALs and waiting to pass you until sightlines improve and/or oncoming trail traffic is clear.

8. Likes mikoglaces, Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Hope you're not doing this to riders who are being PALs and waiting to pass you until sightlines improve and/or oncoming trail traffic is clear.
    This is me a lot of times. I really want to make sure I have enough time to safely complete a pass, especially if there's more than one cyclist ahead of me. Other times, I may find that folks ahead of me aren't really going appreciably slower, so I may drop back a few lengths and match pace, while not being right on their wheels.

10. Likes Subby, mikoglaces, streetsmarts, Steve O, Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    This happened yesterday, and I got it on video.

As I was biking on Pegram St in Alexandria, I approached the intersection with Taney Ave which is a 4-way stop. I slowed to a crawl, then started into the intersection when a driver on Taney Ave blows through the stop sign. She would have hit me if I hadn't slowed in anticipation. But then something interesting happened...

Suddenly, I hear a WOOP! WOOOOP! behind me. An Alexandria police SUV had been right behind me, saw the whole thing, and immediately turned on their lights/siren to pull the driver over! Swift justice!

Motor vehicles blow this stop regularly. This is a favored location for police vehicles o wait for the stop sign runners. They don't have to wait too long.

12. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an important consideration. I often come up on slower riders who get impatient that I'm not passing them...they gesture at me to pass or whatever, but they don't seem to realize that there's a line of riders in the oncoming lane, or a blind curve, or some other very good reason I've chosen to wait to pass. Sorry dude, but I will pass when *I* assess it is safe to do so. If I come up on a slower rider and ultimately decide not to pass, I back off. That said, a half-mile (as described by Drewdane) seems way too long to fit this scenario, but I'd also say that it can take a while for a rider looking to pass to get a good window, so just keep that in mind when someone is on your tail.

14. Likes mikoglaces liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't need to sit on someone's wheel to do those things. In fact, one can't see if the coast is clear or if there is oncoming traffic if one is doing that. The rider in front is blocking the field of view.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    This is me a lot of times. I really want to make sure I have enough time to safely complete a pass, especially if there's more than one cyclist ahead of me. Other times, I may find that folks ahead of me aren't really going appreciably slower, so I may drop back a few lengths and match pace, while not being right on their wheels.
    Same here. If I see someone that is going more or less the same speed and I don't have a straight long path ahead, I wait until the way is clear before passing. I also don't get too close to the other cyclist.

I did that this morning between the 4MR detour and MVT, so could have been me? I have issues with pollen allergies, so I become a bit soft spoken at times during my ride and have heard complaints about not calling my passes (even though I do call them), so I have finally decided to invest on a bell for my "good bike." Hopefully I can have it for BTWD tomorrow, I have a feeling I will need it.