Page 484 of 500 FirstFirst ... 384434474482483484485486494 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,840 of 4998

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday, late morning outside the 7-11 at the intersection of Little River Turnpike and Hummer Rd.

I was applying sunscreen after having just purchased some fluids and food. You pull up on a tricked out touring bike with 5 full looking top of the line Ortlieb panniers and some sort of fancy saddle that rotates down making it easier to mount I guess. Whenever I see cross-country looking touring bikes I always feel like I should say something to start a conversation but I'm also a big time introvert so I usually don't. In this case I was just left confused.

You pulled up, looked around, had a cigarette and left again. What? Hardly the behavior I would expect from a hard core touring cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like

You were the guy wearing your Georgetown cycling jersey making several close passes and passing when there were oncoming cyclists. Although whistling at someone is an unconventional way to call a pass, I was happy to see that you made some sort of indication you were already totally on my left as you were passing. Of course, I already knew you were there because I heard the squealing of your disc brakes as you decided at the last minute that trying to pass while I and LeprosyStudyGroup were performing a 180 degree turn on the 4MR detour was an awful idea.

All of that close passing was unnecessary of course, since once you no longer had a tailwind, you were a quite slow biker and we arrived at the 14th St Bridge at nearly the same time despite the numerous times that I slowed to make safe passes.

3. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Sunday, late morning outside the 7-11 at the intersection of Little River Turnpike and Hummer Rd.

I was applying sunscreen after having just purchased some fluids and food. You pull up on a tricked out touring bike with 5 full looking top of the line Ortlieb panniers and some sort of fancy saddle that rotates down making it easier to mount I guess. Whenever I see cross-country looking touring bikes I always feel like I should say something to start a conversation but I'm also a big time introvert so I usually don't. In this case I was just left confused.

You pulled up, looked around, had a cigarette and left again. What? Hardly the behavior I would expect from a hard core touring cyclist.
    to paraphrase "forget it Jake, its Annandale"

Post Thanks / Like

1) Thanks for signaling, driver. That way I was able to avoid piling into your rear quarter panel when you right hooked me.

2) As you and your friend decide to stop and talk to someone on the other side of the trail, when one of you cuts left and the other stops in the lane, I have nowhere to go! You're lucky I was able to slow way down, and I'm lucky that you saw me in time to get out of the way. Best to just move off the trail to your right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    to paraphrase "forget it Jake, its Annandale"
    18-year (ex-) smoker here. It's only a habit to make other cyclists feel bad.

"man, that hill was tough!"

"really? i could go for a smoke."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    18-year (ex-) smoker here. It's only a habit to make other cyclists feel bad.

"man, that hill was tough!"

"really? i could go for a smoke."
    I've had my ass handed to me by a smoker more than once. Maybe Nicotine doping will be the next thing??

Post Thanks / Like

Two very similar ones this morning. If any runners on the forum, I would love to understand better why these guys were jogging on the left.

First, in LBJ Grove heading from parking lot to bridge to Boundary Channel Dr.:
    You: Jogger running in same direction as I am going, but on the left side of the trail - even when a jogger came towards you, you moved just out of the way and back to the left side.
    Me: ding-ding and planning to continue on the right.
    You: suddenly veering right stating "I'm turning here"
    Me: quickly grabbing my brakes (I wasn't going fast to begin with)
    You: getting huffy and making a comment about my being there and my needing to stop and not be in his way
    Me: "Hey, I stopped for your completely unexpected move, but I needed time."

Second, minutes later (1 or 2?) on the boundary channel drive sidewalk heading clockwise around Pentagon:
    You: jogger running the same direction as I am going, but on the left side. You appear to notice me and move off the sidewalk on the left then slow way down across from the curb cut where a cross walk is.
    Me: Slowing down to about nothing asking, in what I believe to be a friendly way, "are you crossing here?"
    You: Crossing but making some noise and gesture like "what do you think you are doing?"

The first guy seemed clueless and hostile. The second was trying to be nice and I would have thought little of it had I not just missed the first guy. Perhaps he was miffed because his attempt to be nice was thwarted by my attempt to be nice (I have likely made similar noises when cars stop for no apparent reason (blocking other traffic) to allow me to cross where I shouldn't).

9. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Two very similar ones this morning. If any runners on the forum, I would love to understand better why these guys were jogging on the left.
    I asked a jogger once on the W&OD since during the 70 miles I did that day, she was the only person jogging on the wrong side. She got huffy saying bikes kept bugging her but she had a right to jog wherever she wanted. She told me it was safer since bikes see you easier. I pointed out on blind curves they wont see you, and it could in fact be more dangerous since she wasn't being predictable.

Other times I think people genuinely don't know, or aren't paying attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    I don't actually know for sure that this is true, but I've always assumed it's because we're generally taught that if we have to be pedestrians in the road, we should walk (or jog) on the left, facing traffic http://www.saferoutesinfo.org/progra...nst-or-traffic and people just translate that habit to the trails either without giving it much thought or thinking of bikes as fast and scary things like cars that should be treated similarly.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen kind of a 3 lane system in other countries with one center lane and two outside lanes. Or two lanes, one for peds one for bikes. They were painted with little footprints or bicycles to give people guidance on where to be.

Separating peds and bikes from 14th street bridge to 4 mile run would be much to my satisfaction on busy afternoons.