Page 483 of 490 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483484485 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,830 of 4899

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

My name isn't Mark, but if someone yelled "Mark" at me while we passed, I'd likely respond.

Yesterday was the day for missed connections. Don't much feel like angry-ing up the blood by recounting them, but some days I can see why people get angry at cyclists. And pedestrians. And drivers.

2. Likes ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    My strategy is to not worry about it. It's amazing how wonderful a bike ride can be.

7 things you should give up to be a happy cyclist, London Cyclist
    You nailed it. With almost 50-years of cycling, including some racing, I agree 100 percent.
    Last edited by VikingMariner; 04-20-2017 at 10:58 AM.

4. Likes mikoglaces liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's Just Close George Mason Drive at the W&OD Crossing

I've got a fresh missed connection from this morning.

Me: riding westbound on W&OD in the crosswalk at George Mason Dr
    You: driver facing southbound on George Mason Dr, waiting at a red light
    (W&OD and Four Mile Run Dr have a green light with about 10 seconds left on the countdown timer)
    You: blatantly just start driving through the intersection and run the red just behind me
    Me: looks behind me, shocked at what you just did yet relieved you didn't do it a few seconds earlier
    You: now facing southbound on George Mason Dr, waiting at ANOTHER red light; time saved = a few seconds
    Was it worth it to do such a reckless thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Me: Yielding the right-of-way to a vehicle at a 4-way stop in Georgetown.
    You: Blowing past me, causing the vehicle to slam on the brakes, then lying when I caught up to you and saying that you had yielded and they waved you through.

Thank you for reinforcing motorists' confirmation bias wherever you go.

7. Likes Steve O, ginacico, Tania liked this post
    ELITE Crickey7 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Double missed connection I guess. But I'm the guilty party in one. Heading east on Custis approaching the S Curve of death.

Oblivious cyclist screaming onto the Custis from a sidepath - without looking for any oncoming traffic and almost causing someone in front of me to crash. So I think "'ok, I see you dude and I'm going to sit on your wheel and drop you solidly on the hill just past Spout Run with the moguls at the top." He was also refusing to shift down from his smallest cog so he was mashing like a fool.

So I dropped him on the climb (he tried to keep up) - but then after I passed him, I also had to pass the woman in front of him...just as another cyclist appeared from the shadows who was cresting the hill from the other direction. I kinda had to put the squeeze on him a bit and I apologized to him as we passed - there was no where for me to go other than close-ish to him or close-ish to the woman I was passing and he looked much more seasoned. Was it a super close pass? No, but I usually try to avoid any thread the needle type passes - I just don't pass if there is immediate oncoming traffic (bike or pedestrian). Sorry, guy! I truly didn't see you until the last second with the angle of the sun and the shadows. Thanks for being cool about it.

9. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I truly didn't see you until the last second with the angle of the sun and the shadows.
    I sometimes wish more westbounders would keep their lights on longer in the morning.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I also had to pass the woman in front of him...just as another cyclist appeared from the shadows who was cresting the hill from the other direction. I kinda had to put the squeeze on him a bit and I apologized to him as we passed - there was no where for me to go other than close-ish to him or close-ish to the woman I was passing and he looked much more seasoned. Was it a super close pass? No, but I usually try to avoid any thread the needle type passes - I just don't pass if there is immediate oncoming traffic (bike or pedestrian). Sorry, guy! I truly didn't see you until the last second with the angle of the sun and the shadows. Thanks for being cool about it.
    I have done this exact same thing and also felt way guilty about it. The combination of sun, shadows and topography at just the wrong time of day can do this. Since then I've tried to be cognizant about when and where I pass in that section. But I totally empathize with you, Tania.
    Oh, and kudos for dusting Mr. Oblivious!

12. Likes kwarkentien, Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me: walking along the WOD yesterday with my wife.

You: buzzing us at speed with absolutely no warning whatsoever, wearing a W&OD Trail Patrol vest.

Dude, are you f**king joking?!?

14. Likes Birru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me: stuck in traffic watching everyone ride by

You: my bike at home waiting for my knee to heal

Me: stupid knee

Post Thanks / Like

you: feral toddler running across the MVT at Belle Haven Park without looking for cross traffic, running back and forth across the trail, and generally having what appeared to be an incredibly fun, but super unsafe time during last nights PM commute.

me: the cyclist who saw your mom put you down outside the car and knows toddlers well enough to slow the hell down. I eventually stopped in a position to block part of the trail once you made your break for it since I decided I didn't want to see you get hit by me, or anyone else coming down the trail.

cyclist behind me: ignored my verbal warning that a little kid was loose on the trail ahead, and then passed my stopped bike by riding on the dirt until you too saw the kid and had to you slam on your brakes way too close to the kid and her mom for comfort.

I mean seriously dude. I know people stopping on the trail is annoying and I generally hate when people do it, but I pointed out the people ahead and said "LITTLE KID!" loud to make it clear I was stopped on the trail for a reason. For you to then try to pass me on the dirt was ridiculous. The kid was going nuts running back and forth and down the trail, and was clearly visible had you looked a few feet ahead. At that moment the girl's mom was frantically trying to grab her, but she was still a good 10-15 feet from the kid. Trying to get around them could have really hurt someone since that toddlers actions were unpredictable.

I judged that mom harsh at first, but then felt bad for her since she had a seriously tough time catching her little girl and seemed really embarrassed. That was one fast 2 year old. Hopefully the mom learned her lesson about setting her kid down by a busy trail though. Had I not been far enough back to easily stop, it could have led to a serious accident.

17. Likes KLizotte, CaseyKane50 liked this post