Likes Likes:  5,595
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 523 of 528 FirstFirst ... 23423473513521522523524525 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,230 of 5277

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I use both the Wharf PBL AND the Case bridge route.

Even going slowly, the Wharf route is usually faster for me than Case. I get used to dealing with peds and cars coming out of the driveways. Glad they fixed the hole, but wish they would restore the bike marking in the lane, which might help a tad with clueless peds. The worst part is really the part west of the fishmarket, where cyclists, scooter riders, and very clueless peds all mix. When the wharf is worst (Thursday and Friday PMs, generally) I do the Case route, and have gotten much better at ascending the swithback. Will try out the police HQ short cut again. The worst part of the Case bridge route for me is the approach via Capital Square Place and 9th. The speed bumps on CS Place are nasty, and I do get nervous about cutting through the development. And making the right from 9th to Banneker can be challenging. OTOH I like the new protection on Banneker.
    Although they can be regarded as pedestrians, I would put the clueless tourists getting on and off buses in a category of their own.

2. Likes ChristoB50, bentbike33, Emm, creadinger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Unless you're a short person on a small bike it's impossible for 2 cyclists to pass each other too. Except maybe in the straightaways. Just going around a turn that tight at a slow speed I have to lean well over the other lane just to get around. I hate them, and the primary reason I won't take that route. When it comes to stupid infrastructure that ramp and the switchbacks rank right up there with the 1-lane MVT under Memorial Bridge, and the stupidly tight sidewalks on the Douglass Bridge.
    In general the driver for ramps is ADA compliance, not cyclists, so it's not surprising that they tend to be crappy for cyclists. I'd personally prefer stairs with a wheel gutter most of the time over a narrow twisty ped ramp, but they rarely ask me. A wide path with large turning radius is the cadillac, but it does cost more than the bare minimum and there just doesn't seem to be a budget for that most of the time.

4. Likes creadinger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Although they can be regarded as pedestrians, I would put the clueless tourists getting on and off buses in a category of their own.
    I would put the Wharf area tourists in the same category as the MVT geese, although I suspect it may be easier to train the geese to the meaning of a bike bell.

6. Likes Emm, huskerdont, scoot, Sunyata, Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheelchair ramp maximum slope is 1:20.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to list all the reasons why I just use Maine Avenue both inbound and outbound. But you guys have already done that for me.

9. Likes scoot, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think these ramps can be a good time. Since the zig-zag was done at Four Mile Run near the airport (up to the Potomac Yard Trail), I don't think I've ever done the airport loop without going up and down. I guess it's the mountain biker in me wanting to still have a spot of fun. The Case Bridge/Wharf one is less challenging but would be almost as good except there are more peds.

11. Likes Steve O, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    Wheelchair ramp maximum slope is 1:20.

Actually, 1:12. According to the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design

405.2 Slope. Ramp runs shall have a running slope not steeper than 1:12.

405.6 Rise. The rise for any ramp run shall be 30 inches (760 mm) maximum.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for getting lazy with the terminology. Technically it's an "accessible route" not a ramp (same source, 206.2) and the maximum slope for accessible routes is 1:20 (403.1, 403.3). When you get into ramps at entrances and within buildings you are allowed steeper slopes like 1:12, but those steeper steeper slopes have maximum heights and runs which limit their length and require extra landings and turns. If you have room for 1:20 there is no limit to rise or run so you don't need a ton of switchbacks like you do for 1:12 and other steeper slopes.

14. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my math:

- The distance from A to C along the red line is pretty much identical to the distance from A to B along the blue line.
    - B is lower than C (at least by eyeball, having ridden this many times; they may be exactly the same, but B is definitely not higher than C).

Therefore a ramp from A to C will drop less over the same distance as the current A to B, resulting in a less steep grade. A to B already has a flat spot at the switchback, so a flat spot could be incorporated into the A to C ramp if necessary. And the distance from A to C could be lengthened if desired by extending the ramp farther before it turns to the right, as shown by the yellow line.

I am not an expert, but I think this is a pretty strong argument that this switchback is entirely unnecessary.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banneker.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	20248

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Either you were right behind me today, or this happened more than once this morning I have to bike to slow along this area to avoid clueless drivers every morning and evening.
    Unfortunately, this happens a lot.

Yesterday I had a pedestrian leaving District doughnuts, looking at his phone and wearing headphones, step directly into my path. We missed colliding because I was hard on the breaks and he saw my front tire almost hit his leg and stepped back. His comment was that I needed to slow down (I was going about 10 MPH) on the sidewalk. He had no recognition that maybe he should look where he is going and or take off the headphones and be able to hear someone say "heads up!"