Likes Likes:  5,171
Dislikes Dislikes:  63
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 502 of 508 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 5075

Thread: Missed connection

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    just go half way across, then look around the bus to see whether anyone's coming. you don't actually have to dart across the whole road at once.
    Maybe. But that may not be a comfortable place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Something like this came up recently with Bobco, so I wanted to get it on here as a PSA as well.
    I had posted it originally on Facebook/Twitter/Strava, but I wrote a more detailed story of what happened on this thread: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...516#post179516

Post Thanks / Like

When someone does this to me, I move directly in front of them, stop, and then make a very deliberate neck stretching look around their car before proceeding. I do this even if no one is coming as an educational service to the driver.

4. Likes dasgeh, Tania, CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    Maybe. But that may not be a comfortable place.
    well, there is that "perceived comfort" thing that people need to work to get over. I'd argue that there aren't many safer places than directly in front of a person who has clearly indicated that they know you are there.

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    well, there is that "perceived comfort" thing that people need to work to get over. I'd argue that there aren't many safer places than directly in front of a person who has clearly indicated that they know you are there.
    As always, depends on the conditions. If there are several cars backed up, I feel comfortable pulling in front of the lead vehicle if the driver has acknowledged me, and then peek around to check on the 2nd lane. But if a lone vehicle in the near lane stops while there is sporadic traffic moving in both lanes, I get nervous about someone not paying attention and slamming into the back of the "good Samaritan." In that case, if I can't clear both lanes, I'll wave on the Helpy McHelperson and wait for another opportunity to cross.

8. Likes Jenkinms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm beginning to doubt the safety of protected bike lanes at intersections. I'm sure if I had been taking the travel lane here the van driver would have seen me and waited to make the turn. I doubt they expected to find someone moving toward them at 18mph from the curb area. I was "both feet in" and locked the wheels. The driver had a surprised look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBL1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	18145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBL2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	18146  

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the left hook. This has almost happened to me plenty of times while taking the lane on Lee. Drivers suck at seeing bikes. It has nothing to do with whether there is a bike lane or not. Best thing we can do is get more people biking, so there are enough bikes that drivers get used to looking for us. For that we need PBLs. And ebikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Curious if you all use lights to advertise your presence. During the day in traffic, I have mine set to strobe along with a steady running light. It seems to work well but results vary I'm sure.

I also make sure to dim the light on trails to maintain the sight of my fellow cyclists

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buschwacker View Post
    Curious if you all use lights to advertise your presence. During the day in traffic, I have mine set to strobe along with a steady running light. It seems to work well but results vary I'm sure.

I also make sure to dim the light on trails to maintain the sight of my fellow cyclists
    I have a German-made dynamo-powered headlight with an automatic daytime running light mode that I just leave on all the time. It was insufficient to prevent a near left-hook on Eads St. yesterday on what seemed to me to be a very quiet Sunday morning.

13. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I have a German-made dynamo-powered headlight with an automatic daytime running light mode that I just leave on all the time. It was insufficient to prevent a near left-hook on Eads St. yesterday on what seemed to me to be a very quiet Sunday morning.
    It was a rough day on Eads yesterday. Two attempted left hooks on the way home including one by a guy that proceeded the wrong way down a one way street.