Likes Likes:  5,170
Dislikes Dislikes:  63
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 501 of 508 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,010 of 5075

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the bus was not in service so the driver was in a hurry.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Today was the day the German drivers were trying to kill me! Two close calls in Frieberg, first, I signaled a left turn, was in the middle of the narrow road, and a driver still tried to pass me on the left only to turn off the road into a business on the right 100 meters later.

Second was about three minutes later and we are at a stop light across from the Burg, I had signaled for a left turn, but had to stop for a red light, and was about a meter and a half from the center line, a driver pulls up next to us on the right with his left turn signal on. I start across the intersection on the green and sure enough he is turning left. Luckily he didn't run us over, but he stayed on our butts around the curve, made an unsafe pass into oncoming traffic and then made an immediate right turn! Really????

Post Thanks / Like

On Wednesday, I was doing loops on Hains Point and was on the short Buckeye Drive section. A car came the other way (heading southwest while I was going NE) and the driver shouted at me something to the effect that bikes should not be on the road there. There is no sign or road marking which states specifically that bikes are allowed, but there is none that says cars are allowed either.

4. Likes DCLiz, consularrider, Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I'm coasting a steep downhill trail because it's semi-technical with a blind curve and slick wet grass clippings ahead, I suppose I don't mind that you passed. You rang your tinkly bell so you must know what you're doing. Fair enough. But after the pass and the technical parts, you can't be angry that I'm behind you. When you pass me I don't cease to exist. Unless I'm asleep in philosophy class and this is all a dream on my way to a D.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL to the tween kid who, on a rough section of trail put his feet out instead of standing up... I can’t imagine that must have felt too good on the tush!

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    LOL to the tween kid who, on a rough section of trail put his feet out instead of standing up... I can’t imagine that must have felt too good on the tush!
    Was he wearing one of these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02125.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	18039

8. Likes Steve O, drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Something like this came up recently with Bobco, so I wanted to get it on here as a PSA as well.

Last week on the W&OD heading eastbound at Sunrise Valley Rd in Reston. I came up to the intersection and stopped as a city bus pulled up to a bus stop right before the W&OD intersection. Since it's 2 lanes each way, I was paying attention to traffic on the inner lane which wasn't exactly easy because the bus was mostly blocking my view. I caught a glimpse of 2 cars coming fast over the hill. Then I catch the bus driver's eye and he starts waving me across the intersection. What the actual hell dude! I know you didn't check your mirrors. I know you don't know about the 2 drivers that are coming to kill me if I actually listened to you. In that situation I could easily imagine a tired, less experienced cyclist just assume this bus driver knows what he's doing and "proceed as directed" and get killed by the 2 cars they can't see. That guy was a dumbass, and I gestured as such after he finally checked his mirrors when he saw I wasn't moving.

The PSA part - When you come across a Helpy McHelperton who's happy to wave you through an intersection, don't ever assume they know what's going on. It is YOUR body on the line, not theirs. And even if you hold them up a few extra seconds by being cautious don't ever cross any road where you haven't made sure yourself that it's clear. Especially at 2-lane crossings - GW Parkway for example, and in this case Sunrise Valley Rd. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, great advice!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    something like this came up recently with bobco, so i wanted to get it on here as a psa as well.

Last week on the w&od heading eastbound at sunrise valley rd in reston. I came up to the intersection and stopped as a city bus pulled up to a bus stop right before the w&od intersection. Since it's 2 lanes each way, i was paying attention to traffic on the inner lane which wasn't exactly easy because the bus was mostly blocking my view. I caught a glimpse of 2 cars coming fast over the hill. Then i catch the bus driver's eye and he starts waving me across the intersection. What the actual hell dude! I know you didn't check your mirrors. I know you don't know about the 2 drivers that are coming to kill me if i actually listened to you. In that situation i could easily imagine a tired, less experienced cyclist just assume this bus driver knows what he's doing and "proceed as directed" and get killed by the 2 cars they can't see. That guy was a dumbass, and i gestured as such after he finally checked his mirrors when he saw i wasn't moving.

The psa part - when you come across a helpy mchelperton who's happy to wave you through an intersection, don't ever assume they know what's going on. It is your body on the line, not theirs. And even if you hold them up a few extra seconds by being cautious don't ever cross any road where you haven't made sure yourself that it's clear. Especially at 2-lane crossings - gw parkway for example, and in this case sunrise valley rd. Thanks.
    elite

Post Thanks / Like

just go half way across, then look around the bus to see whether anyone's coming. you don't actually have to dart across the whole road at once.

13. Likes Steve O, dasgeh liked this post