Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 513 of 524 FirstFirst ... 13413463503511512513514515523 ... LastLast
Results 5,121 to 5,130 of 5233

Thread: Missed connection

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    So being a hothead, even if justified, is unequivocally stupid. Still, the outcome is that I'm less likely to be harassed by a cop on my regular ride home for incorrect "violations" and I got no ticket.
    True, though police harassment is worse. If you have a warning, you hopefully have enough information to report the officer for this ridiculousness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    But all the while (for this group, plus an even larger group of about 20 riders a week earlier) not particularly staying towards the right hand side, nor even staying contained within the right-hand lane (in order to keep the left lane free for cars to pass.)
    You don't want to know what I would say to a driver who actually complained about being inconvenienced for 30 seconds because I wiped out on the road in front of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    Not probably a real missed connection here -- but in light of the collision talk in the posts above....

Last Thursday I was biking the Hains Point loop as part of a long route ride home after leaving work early. I had just stopped at the Stop sign by the golf parking entry. As I started up, a group of 7 blew past me (and the Stop sign). Tight, tight formation, cruising above 20mph in unison; I heard them approach from behind and thought a vehicle was driving with heavy snow-tires; a low whirring hum was their collective, distinctive sound. I was now following them (and I boosted up my assist until I hit 22mph out of curiosity -- that seemed to be when their increasing lead on me froze, to gauge their speed.) I drifted back down to about 16mph and then suddenly up ahead of me, one of the riders was flying out sideways, and a split second later, another rider flew out the other way; a tangle of bikes tumbling, a 3rd rider slammed brakes hard and fell over sideways. It was actually brutal to see happen -- I saw all this from about 300 yards back. (Apparently the first to fall had their front wheel just nip the rear wheel of the rider ahead... they were racing impossibly close to each other, it seemed to me!) I came to a stop at the pile-up and asked if I could help, or call 911, or call the park police, etc. Their leader(?) said no thanks, insisted they were all fine -- with one guy still flat on his back, being cautioned not to move by another guy, while bits of visors and accessories were strewn about, and 2 bikes still down in the road. Because they'd been riding partway on the dotted white line between lanes when the implosion happened, they occupied both lanes with the unexpected pile-up and (potential) injuries. (And of course, a car was headed our way just at that time!) After asking if I could do anything to help again, and scanning for obvious signs of running blood (none seen) I eventually went on my way. They didn't pass me later -- I assume that was the end of their session.

So my "missed-connection" rant is probably more generally about the racers/trainers/roadies who too frequently ride like this through Hains Point, always flying through all 3 Stop signs, and then so often using the roadway as a racing/training course.
    (I understand the appeal - the mostly flat loop, the mostly quiet & empty space, the generally very nice pavement condition...) But all the while (for this group, plus an even larger group of about 20 riders a week earlier) not particularly staying towards the right hand side, nor even staying contained within the right-hand lane (in order to keep the left lane free for cars to pass.)
    Not always the best behavior there, that's true. We need a velodrome to reduce the need for this kind of thing at HP.

I do stay to the right, but the speed limit is 15 if I recall, so cars don't really need to pass the cyclist groups that are riding that hard.

4. Likes creadinger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    This whole interaction totally pisses me off.
    But this quoted part, arggh. Isn't everyone supposed to be traveling below the speed limit? Isn't "limit" supposed to mean maximum?

Limit
    noun
    1. a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass.
    "the limits of presidential power"
    2. a restriction on the size or amount of something permissible or possible.
    "an age limit"
    synonyms: maximum, ceiling, limitation, upper limit;
    The dictionary definition does not apply to car speeds. E.g., in many places you can be ticketed for going the speed limit in the left lane of a highway because OF COURSE the speed limit is less important than moving out of the way of people going more than the "limit".

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    The dictionary definition does not apply to car speeds. E.g., in many places you can be ticketed for going the speed limit in the left lane of a highway because OF COURSE the speed limit is less important than moving out of the way of people going more than the "limit".
    So, in theory, one could be ticketed for going 55 in a 55 and also ticketed for going 56 in a 55 if an officer were so inclined.

To whit: I once had a neighbor who, in a previous life, had been a NM highway patrol officer. He would occasionally stop people going 65-70 in a 55 (these were the days when it was all 55) and then tell them he would write the ticket for only 57 mph, because he was such a nice guy (it, in fact, made no difference in terms of fines or points). He did this because sometimes he would want to pull a driver over for another reason (suspected DUI or carrying drugs or something) who was driving 56 mph. Then when that person's lawyer would challenge him in court, saying "C'mon, you never pull someone over for going 56 in a 55," he could refute this by showing these previous tickets he had written. Clever.

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

Me: Heading east on Hamilton in NW DC, close to New Hampshire in the bicycle lane at a relaxed pace.
    You: Tooting your horn at me, presumably because you wanted me to exit the bike lane so that you could idle your sedan in it.

I'm sure you're quaking in your boots at DC's coming enforcement against vehicles in bike lanes.

9. Likes Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me: Getting a parking ticket on my bike.
    You: Meter maid who doesn’t know a car from a bike?

11. Likes josh, scoot, Sunyata, Emm, kwarkentien, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    Me: Getting a parking ticket on my bike.
    You: Meter maid who doesn’t know a car from a bike?
    The ticket is dated Tuesday. Is that when you found it on your bike, or did it just get lost/blown around/tossed there today? (That plate has 5 other unpaid tickets for the past month in DC.)

13. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    The ticket is dated Tuesday. Is that when you found it on your bike, or did it just get lost/blown around/tossed there today? (That plate has 5 other unpaid tickets for the past month in DC.)
    It was on my bike on Tuesday right on the top tube closer to about 3pm. I was stunned when I saw the pink slip, but who knows how it got there? Do you think anyone at DC DMV will have a sense of humor?

15. Likes kwarkentien, Nadine liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Also, is your bike a 4-door Nissan? Because maybe we need to have a conversation...

17. Likes LhasaCM, Emm, kwarkentien liked this post