Page 493 of 495 FirstFirst ... 393443483491492493494495 LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,930 of 4944

Thread: Missed connection

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Were the kids treated to some special language?
    No, the oblivious walker was treated to a death glare, though.

2. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Morningside is another wonderful Virginia suburban road with a ditch for a shoulder. You have to take the lane.

The honking thing is pretty common down in Mount Vernon. I attribute this to the fact that Mount Vernon has more elderly people than any other part of the DC area. They freak out seeing bicycles (or anything other than a car in the street) and lay on their horns. Eldery drivers have slower reaction times, and often have compromised vision. I'm 61 and have had 7 eye operations. I speak from personal experience. (Also, I am a former Boston cabbie. GET OUT OF MY WAY.) I get honled at on Collingwood Road a lot for no reason other than the driver has competence issues.

Cars these days are cocoons of quiet. Drivers often cannot tell how loud their horns are. I really wish they'd make a law that made horns sound inside the car. This would cut down on a lot of this nonsense.

My wife was run over on Sherwood Hall Lane. At noon. On a clear day. By an SUV driver who ran a stop sign around a stopped car. He was in a hurry to pick up his daughter at a game of some sort.

Long story short: despite living next to one of the most heavily used trails in the country, the drivers of Mount Vernon still don't get bicycles as transportation. Be careful out there.

4. Likes wheels&wings, dasgeh, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootchopper View Post
    I really wish they'd make a law that made horns sound inside the car. This would cut down on a lot of this nonsense.
    Even better - the horn is a second brake pedal. Pressing the horn is exactly equivalent to pressing the brake. Name a situation where you would need your horn but pressing the brake is a bad idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Even better - the horn is a second brake pedal. Pressing the horn is exactly equivalent to pressing the brake. Name a situation where you would need your horn but pressing the brake is a bad idea.

@1:45
    @2:18
    @3:06
    @3:42

Last edited by drevil; 06-27-2017 at 09:39 AM.

7. Likes Starduster, DanB, AFHokie, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's clearly an instance of needing a special "Badass Jump over a Truck" button in addition to a regular horn, which is also a brake pedal.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If they're old enough, they may have learned to honk when passing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, pal, just shoal on up to the very front past a long line of cyclists waiting in a polite line for the light at the Int. O'Doom. You're more important than all of us after all.

11. Likes CBGanimal, notinthe18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How did this thread fall to page #2? Were people being that good?

D-bag of the day on the MVT goes to the dude behind me who gave an exasperated "let's go!" because I dared to slow down at the GW Parkway on ramp at the airport. It was fitting that soon after passing a few of us at a time, you almost caused a head-on collision with an alert CaBi rider at the 4MR turnoff. Nice!
    Last edited by creadinger; 09-06-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: G. G-W Parkway.

13. Likes notinthe18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess people have been too busy enjoying the summer to kvetch. That's good, I guess.

I have encountered the usual bad passes on the MVT, drivers doing strange things (not all on Eye Street) and my special favorites, pedestrians walking in the Eads Street PBLs and cyclists salmoning in the Eads Street PBLs.

But I really wanted to mention something else, not even sure it belongs on this thread. This evening someone drafted me the entire way from the 14th Street bridge to the 4MRT turnoff (she went towards Alexandria) She was so close I guess it would count as rude, but I was just surprised someone was so intently drafting ME. At least when she turned off the other way she called "thanks for the ride" You're welcome, lady.

15. Likes streetsmarts, jrenaut, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, yeah this sounds more like a found connection. Especially since she had the awareness to thank you! That's great! Most wheel suckers use you and move on without even a 2nd look.