Page 492 of 493 FirstFirst ... 392442482490491492493 LastLast
Results 4,911 to 4,920 of 4927

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Some appear to think the detour at the IOD is still in use. A true 3 inch missed connection. I regret my reaction was not very Dirt-like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-15-a.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	14991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-15-b.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	14992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-15-c.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	14993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-15-d.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	14994  

2. Likes bobco85, ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what it is with cars over this past week, but I'm getting pretty sick of them trying to hit me.

Car #1
    Sunday: I'm biking down my neighborhood street from the pool, going pretty slow since I'm wearing flip flops on a bike with clipless pedals. I approach an intersection where I have no stop sign so I go right on through.
    Driver: Stops at his stop sign, then turns left, nearly slamming into me as I go through the intersection.
    Me: Yelp pretty loud, but keep going, somewhat stunned that he didn't see me.
    Driver: Stops at the base of my driveway to apologize and says he never saw me.
    Later that evening I drove through the intersection using the same route as the driver. You can see a good 50-100 yards in either direction when you're stopped at that stop sign--it's totally clear and straight. There was NO EXCUSE for that driver not seeing me.

Car #2
    Tuesday morning: I get to a 3 way stop outside my office. Dutifully stop and wait my turn. Signal my intentions, and go left when its my turn
    Driver across the intersection from me: turns right DIRECTLY behind the driver in front of him, never even stopping at his stop sign. Comes within inches of hitting me, forcing me to the left of his car. After seeing me and yelling "sorry", he STILL doesn't stop to let me over. I end up stopping on the double yellow line so I can get to the right of the lane. I end up taking the lane during the next block in front of this guy since I decide there is no way in hell I trust him not to hit me.

Car #3
    Tuesday evening: Biking up Morningside lane, shortly before the light at Fort Hunt. I've taken the lane at this point. For those not familiar with this road, it is narrow, no shoulder, no bike lane, and a major connector from the GW Parkway. It turns into Sherwood Hall after Fort Hunt, which at least has a bike lane. Generally cars go slow and are pretty polite on this road though.
    Driver: Sees the cars ahead of me begin moving at the light, quickly tries to pass me in the left lane (remember--I've taken the lane here so passing is a really bad idea...), realizes the cars are stopped again and she has traffic coming the opposite way. She nearly hits me trying to get back into the right lane directly on top of me. Gives me a "what else could I have done?" gesture.
    Me: Shaking my head and loudly say (her window was open): "If you cant safely pass me, DONT PASS! You almost hit me!!!"
    The driver and I both got through during the next light cycle. Seriously lady, no reason for this BS.

Car #4
    Thursday Evening: Exiting the MVT at Tulane, I pull up and stop about 5-10 ft from the GW parkway
    Driver that's ~100-200 yards away, going north: FURIOUSLY BLASTING their horn at me.
    Me: Gives her a "huh?' gesture since I'm honestly confused at this point why she is laying on her horn since my feet are on the ground. Cyclist behind me shouts "YES WE SEE YOU!"
    Driver: Keeps loudly honking, screams at us as she drives by.
    I've ridden this intersection almost daily now for a year. I always stop at least a few feet from the actual parkway (you have to come a little close so you can see since there's ALOT of trees and a curve), and I was going slow when I approached it. I've NEVER been honked at until now. I'm guessing she just didn't realize a trail was there and got scared, but holy hell that was an overreaction to two bicyclists that were fully stopped with their feet on the ground.

Here's hoping cars try to kill me a little less often next week!

4. Likes notinthe18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Some appear to think the detour at the IOD is still in use. A true 3 inch missed connection. I regret my reaction was not very Dirt-like.
    It seems odd since they covered the asphalt in that section, but I have seen several people using it. That detour road has been there for years and IIRC was used before the current route was built.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Car #4
    Thursday Evening: . . . . : Keeps loudly honking, screams at us as she drives by.
    So, she didn't actually try to kill you and was upset you deprived her of the chance.

7. Likes kwarkentien, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When YDGAF...from my rear camera:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redlightrunner copy.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	15016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    When YDGAF...from my rear camera:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redlightrunner copy.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	15016
    No helmet. Eyes closed. Rush hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Riding westbound yesterday afternoon across Douglass Bridge.... You the dude walking up the right car travel lane. I don't know if your car broke down a little ways back that I couldn't see, or something weird like that, but it takes elephant balls to walk across that bridge. I saw at least one car close pass you in the 10 seconds I saw you. On the other hand, given how narrow the sidewalks are, and how much of a PITA it is to pass pedestrians, I thank you for not being in my way.

BTW - Soon after I passed the pedestrian I saw a motorcycle cop nonchalantly go by in the same direction and it didn't look like he was at all bothered that there was a dangerous situation a hundred yards back. Is that a lesson to all? MPD really doesn't give a shit what you do on the road, as long as a traffic cam isn't there to catch it?

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

You: Walking on the right on the MBT
    Me: Approaching from behind hauling the kids.
    Me: DING!
    You, oblivious: wandering left into my lane right in front of me

The best part is this did not at all appear to be someone misinterpreting the bell. I'm pretty sure she didn't hear it over her headphones and just happened to choose that time to switch lanes without looking. Good thing I wasn't going all that fast. It takes considerable effort to bring 400 pounds to a complete stop on a dime.

12. Likes Jenkinms, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post

The best part is this did not at all appear to be someone misinterpreting the bell. I'm pretty sure she didn't hear it over her headphones and just happened to choose that time to switch lanes without looking. Good thing I wasn't going all that fast. It takes considerable effort to bring 400 pounds to a complete stop on a dime.
    Were the kids treated to some special language?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post

That's funny(?). I had the opposite experience walking up the MBT this evening. Walking from Florida up to Franklin, 47 bikes passed us. A whopping 2 of them signaled their pass (both with a bell). Of the other 45, about 12 of them passed by way too closely (I had my 5 year old hugging the right hand side, and I was about a person's width from the center line. Those 12 passed us while still right of the yellow). Another dozen or so just passed us too closely (hugging the yellow line and darting back in front of us without much margin for error).

At least the weather is nice...

15. Likes jrenaut liked this post