Likes Likes:  5,417
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 511 of 520 FirstFirst ... 11411461501509510511512513 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,110 of 5191

Thread: Missed connection

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    ..he just blew through that stop sign never getting under 10 mph.
    This reminds me of a Missed Connection I had back in December in your neck of the woods.

Scene: Late at night, streets very quiet, bike bedecked with Christmas lights

Me: Riding on Pershing PBL westbound approaching 4-way stop at Barton--about 1/2 block back
    You: Headlights of one lonely car approaching same 4-way stop from other direction.
    You: Turning left through stop, barely slowing down.
    Me: (thinking) "That cop car just totally blew that stop sign!"
    Me, 15 seconds later: (why not?) Roll the same stop sign, thinking "Won't it be ironic if that police car stops, turns around and pulls me over?"
    You: Demonstrating irony, stop, turn around, and pull me over.

2. Likes Brendan von Buckingham liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Me, 15 seconds later: (why not?) Roll the same stop sign, thinking "Won't it be ironic if that police car stops, turns around and pulls me over?"
    You: Demonstrating irony, stop, turn around, and pull me over.
    How did the resulting discussion between you two play out?
    Also - Curious if there is a nickname for the riders who (of course blow through stop signs) specifically blow through the Hanes Point stop sign that features the added signage: "All Bicyclists Must Stop"?

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christob50 View Post
    Also - Curious if there is a nickname for the riders who (of course blow through stop signs) specifically blow through the Hains Point stop sign that features the added signage: "All Bicyclists Must Stop"?
    "Bicyclists"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christob50 View Post
    How did the resulting discussion between you two play out?
    Him: "That's really dangerous. Do you know the statistics on bicyclists getting hit?"
    Me: "As a matter of fact, I do. As a member of the Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee, ACPD comes to our meetings and shares those statistics with us."
    Him: "Nice lights. Be careful."

(He denied rolling the stop sign. I gently suggested he review his camera footage.)

6. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    "Bicyclists"
    Ha! That can't be 100% right, as I consider myself a Bicyclist -- but I stop at that stop sign Every. Single. Time.
    (Especially after seeing a training group of 10 riders get pulled over by police there, for NOT stopping -- as they blew past me while I was stopped there

Post Thanks / Like

You- ninja traveling east on the WOD in the dark with no lights. Thanks to your deep dish pizza rims, I heard you coming long before you nearly clipped me in my lane, passing a family on your side of the trail. I wasn’t so much offended by your skin suit and aero sperm helmet as I was by your absolute lack of consideration for anyone else last night. You couldn’t even be bothered put you hands on your handlebars from your time trial arm rests as you clipped by going a cool 25 mph in the dark. My only consolation is that knowing for the next few weeks, no one will have to deal with you until real spring. Enjoy your indoor trainer in the meantime!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    I wasn’t so much offended by your ... aero sperm helmet ...
    Oh, that's a new term I've not encountered before!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    I wasn’t so much offended by your skin suit and aero sperm helmet
    OMG. I almost spit out my breakfast! I am totally stealing that term.

11. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I think I have my first missed connection!

Me: Half mile from home, on a sleepy side residential street, no traffic at all, deep into dusk and rather cold. Suddenly my chain derails. I pull over onto a sidewalk (all grass & ground is wet) to tackle the chain (which was surprisingly challenging, given the chain-guard in place on my bike!)
    You: Biking down the sidewalk entirely (despite the acres of empty asphalt road available to you) as you pass me. with no offer to help or even check if I could use help, you mutter "Just a thought - maybe not on the sidewalk."

13. Likes Hancockbs liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really a missed connection, but

Me: biking eastbound in the [horrible, terrible, no good, very bad] L street "PBL", approaching the non-protected part in front of the Red Lion hotel
    You: Black Uber car, mostly blocking the green painted bike lane (which is pulled a car's width away from the curb there), but also close enough to the curb that a bike won't fit to the right.
    Me: Stopping because you're an Uber and I don't see anyone getting out so maybe someone just got in and you're about to pull away...
    You: still stopped
    Me: thinking you're just waiting, check that it's clear to go around you in the travel lane, then slowly pull around and start to turn back into the protected part as my front tire is clearly past your bumper
    You: starting to roll forward
    Me: Yelling my head off surprised that you would go when a bike is right in front of you
    You: Stopping after you hit my rear wheel.

Yeah, that sucked, but at least you stopped before making it worse. Yeah, "tapping" a bike is still hitting it. No, it was not an accident or an act of God that your car started moving forward - you took your foot off the brake. No, I was not in your blind spot, I was in front of you; you were just looking backwards for a gap in traffic.

At least you waited around to file the police report so we have another data point on how awful the L St PBL is.
    Last edited by dasgeh; 02-07-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: My compass was upside by down

15. Likes buschwacker, elbows, Crickey7, Sunyata liked this post
    Dislikes Crickey7 disliked this post