Likes Likes:  5,490
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 522 of 524 FirstFirst ... 22422472512520521522523524 LastLast
Results 5,211 to 5,220 of 5238

Thread: Missed connection

  1. #5211
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I tried this route home yesterday and that switchback was kinda crazy. Even though I knew it was coming up I was still shocked at how challenging it was to navigate it. It was nice to know there is an alternative though.

  2. #5212
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReneeYvonne View Post
    I tried this route home yesterday and that switchback was kinda crazy. Even though I knew it was coming up I was still shocked at how challenging it was to navigate it. It was nice to know there is an alternative though.
    With practice, as with most things, it will become easier.
    What's annoying, though, is that it is not even necessary. A straight line from the top curve to the point where the trail meets the walkway would be no more steep than the switchback (trust me, I did the math). So the whole connection could have been built with just a single 90 degree turn. D'oh.

  3. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
  4. #5213
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    they finally decided about a week ago that the only way to fix the hole near the northern end of the northbound PBL was to repave a section. Just throwing stuff into the hole was not working at all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM

  5. Likes mikoglaces liked this post
  6. #5214
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    With practice, as with most things, it will become easier.
    What's annoying, though, is that it is not even necessary. A straight line from the top curve to the point where the trail meets the walkway would be no more steep than the switchback (trust me, I did the math). So the whole connection could have been built with just a single 90 degree turn. D'oh.
    There's a maximum slope standard and also a standard for maximum run based on the slope. (The idea AFAIK is to limit how far/fast your mobility assist device will go if you lose control on the slope. Running into a railing sucks, but less so than flying over a curb or railing at high speed and into the street or the water.)

  7. #5215
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    There's a maximum slope standard and also a standard for maximum run based on the slope. (The idea AFAIK is to limit how far/fast your mobility assist device will go if you lose control on the slope. Running into a railing sucks, but less so than flying over a curb or railing at high speed and into the street or the water.)
    Have you see the ramp they're building from the Kennedy Center? It doesn't seem worse than what would be necessary for the Case Bridge.

  8. #5216
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    There's a maximum slope standard and also a standard for maximum run based on the slope. (The idea AFAIK is to limit how far/fast your mobility assist device will go if you lose control on the slope. Running into a railing sucks, but less so than flying over a curb or railing at high speed and into the street or the water.)
    Aha. So that's why on long runs, like the ones on the ramps to the ped bridge at 7-Corners, they have those flat spots. Not knowing the actual rules, I'd still put my money on the Case Bridge ramp being possible without the switchback. Have you noticed you have to go back uphill from the bottom of the switchback to get to the circle? It goes down farther than necessary.

  9. Likes bentbike33, Hancockbs liked this post
  10. #5217
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    S. Arlington
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    There's a maximum slope standard and also a standard for maximum run based on the slope. (The idea AFAIK is to limit how far/fast your mobility assist device will go if you lose control on the slope. Running into a railing sucks, but less so than flying over a curb or railing at high speed and into the street or the water.)
    I don't mind engineering in a bit of "triggered slow down" for rolling transports on that particular descent (ie, navigating the two 180-switchbacks) -- And while not super-narrow, the path isn't exactly wide, either (ie, like the switchback descent to Roosevelt Island; a much nicer width!) so bikes descending here mixed with pedestrians climbing safely errs on the side of slowing the rolling traffic... I do wish they had adopted a bigger radius on the 2 switchbacks -- more of a "bobby pin" line vs a 180-switchback. But I'm glad they at least curved the 2 switchbacks, vs. using right-angles!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bobbypin.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	20247

  11. #5218
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    I don't mind engineering in a bit of "triggered slow down" for rolling transports on that particular descent (ie, navigating the two 180-switchbacks) -- And while not super-narrow, the path isn't exactly wide, either (ie, like the switchback descent to Roosevelt Island; a much nicer width!) so bikes descending here mixed with pedestrians climbing safely errs on the side of slowing the rolling traffic... I do wish they had adopted a bigger radius on the 2 switchbacks -- more of a "bobby pin" line vs a 180-switchback. But I'm glad they at least curved the 2 switchbacks, vs. using right-angles!
    But it also uses a right angle...

    Those switch backs are difficult to impossible for bikes with longer wheelbases -- long tails, box bikes, bikes towing trailers. We shouldn't make the safest infrastructure hard/impossible for family bikers to use!

  12. #5219
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use both the Wharf PBL AND the Case bridge route.

    Even going slowly, the Wharf route is usually faster for me than Case. I get used to dealing with peds and cars coming out of the driveways. Glad they fixed the hole, but wish they would restore the bike marking in the lane, which might help a tad with clueless peds. The worst part is really the part west of the fishmarket, where cyclists, scooter riders, and very clueless peds all mix. When the wharf is worst (Thursday and Friday PMs, generally) I do the Case route, and have gotten much better at ascending the swithback. Will try out the police HQ short cut again. The worst part of the Case bridge route for me is the approach via Capital Square Place and 9th. The speed bumps on CS Place are nasty, and I do get nervous about cutting through the development. And making the right from 9th to Banneker can be challenging. OTOH I like the new protection on Banneker.

  13. Likes buschwacker liked this post
  14. #5220
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    1,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    But it also uses a right angle...

    Those switch backs are difficult to impossible for bikes with longer wheelbases -- long tails, box bikes, bikes towing trailers. We shouldn't make the safest infrastructure hard/impossible for family bikers to use!
    Unless you're a short person on a small bike it's impossible for 2 cyclists to pass each other too. Except maybe in the straightaways. Just going around a turn that tight at a slow speed I have to lean well over the other lane just to get around. I hate them, and the primary reason I won't take that route. When it comes to stupid infrastructure that ramp and the switchbacks rank right up there with the 1-lane MVT under Memorial Bridge, and the stupidly tight sidewalks on the Douglass Bridge.

  15. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •