ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 504 of 507 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505506 ... LastLast
Results 5,031 to 5,040 of 5063

Thread: Missed connection

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    But are you ok?

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    But are you ok?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viennabiker View Post
    The only bitching I've read on this site--and heard in person--is directed at cyciists who have asked others not to use blinking settings on two-way trails or to turn down their high-beams for approaching cyclists.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	18152

Post Thanks / Like

Me: "DUDE!"

Squirrel: "FFFFSSTTTT" *

* Google translate: that's squirrel for "oh crap!"

5. Likes Judd, VikingMariner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Maybe, but that won't stop the bitching.
    I know, right?!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to stir the pot, how are lights okay on the road but not on the trail? Do the trees on the trail reflect light back like a magnifier in broad day light? lol omg wtf

In 50 years of cycling, some of it racing, I have never heard such unfounded claims that a battery-operated bike light could "hurt" someone's eyes on even a cloudy day just on the trail only. The culture of cycling certainly has changed in the last five years, like the guy, who tapped someone on the head and caused a crash because he had some imaginary rule about passing other cycles.

For less experienced riders, keep your lights on when on the trail. Cars will see you at road intersections and so will pedestrians, with their back to you when they see a light reflecting off a sign or tree in a "merciless flash" of light. If anyone has the eyes hurting from such a low power light please see an eye doctor or psychologist. Please do not challenge someone on the trail about it because there are the truly crazy out there that may slab you for not minding your own business (not me though because I will just laugh at you for being harmlessly silly).

Cycling is not about controlling the behavior of others. It's not about taking your personal problems out on other people while riding. It's about being free and happy. It use to be about breaking the rules sometimes. It's about taking risks. It's about having a health respect for larger vehicles and making peace with others rather than viewing it as combat.

Please don't take this as an angry post because honestly I'm laughing. This thread is so funny! Beers are on me if I see any of you in person. Seriously, bike light on trail only hurts your eyes. Wah-hahahaha! Now I've heard it all. smdh
    Last edited by VikingMariner; 07-27-2018 at 10:28 AM.

8. Dislikes secstate, Crickey7, Sunyata disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VikingMariner View Post
    Just to stir the pot, how are lights okay on the road but not on the trail? Do the trees on the trail reflect light back like a magnifier in broad day light? lol omg wtf

In 50 years of cycling, some of it racing, I have never heard such unfounded claims that a battery-operated bike light could "hurt" someone's eyes on even a cloudy day just on the trail only. The culture of cycling certainly has changed in the last five years, like the guy, who tapped someone on the head and caused a crash because he had some imaginary rule about passing other cycles.

For less experienced riders, keep your lights on when on the trail. Cars will see you at road intersections and so will pedestrians, with their back to you when they see a light reflecting off a sign or tree in a "merciless flash" of light. If anyone has the eyes hurting from such a low power light please see an eye doctor or psychologist. Please do not challenge someone on the trail about it because there are the truly crazy out there that may slab you for not minding your own business (not me though because I will just laugh at you for being harmlessly silly).

Cycling is not about controlling the behavior of others. It's not about taking your personal problems out on other people while riding. It's about being free and happy. It use to be about breaking the rules sometimes. It's about taking risks. It's about having a health respect for larger vehicles and making peace with others rather than viewing it as combat.

Please don't take this as an angry post because honestly I'm laughing. This thread is so funny! Beers are on me if I see any of you in person. Seriously, bike light on trail only hurts your eyes. Wah-hahahaha! Now I've heard it all. smdh
    So you've never heard of someone complaining about a light hurting their eyes, therefore it can't happen, therefore you mock it and think it's jut about control and not their eyes.

10. Likes Crickey7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VikingMariner View Post
    Please, please, not in this thread, not again...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna be a bit of a contrarian and say that a blinking headlight on a trail isn't the worst idea. I've seen a lot lately what with the dreary weather, and they without question made those riders more visible than they otherwise would have been. If you would use a blinking light on a road to be seen by car drivers, why not on a trail to be seen by other users, including car drivers at intersections?

Some blinkies really do strobe though. If you see that yours is causing people to shield their eyes, fall into epileptic fits, or run off into the trees ala Peter Sagan, yeah, maybe turn that one off.

My own blinky won't go from blinking to solid unless you hold the button down firmly and consistently for 10 seconds, and if you go 13 seconds, it just turns off, which is all really difficult to do every time you go from the road to the trail to an intersection like the IoD. I do try, but if one morning at 6:00 you see me coming down the hill toward Roslyn and it's still blinking, please accept my apologies.

13. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t posted about this before here, but since it is a sore spot with me, I will. I try to twist my light to the side when someone is approaching. I find it very difficult to actually dim the light by partially covering it with my hand, probably due to my age which requires both hands on the bar. No one has ever complained when I do this and sometimes I get thanks, so I assume that this is fine. My light from Light & Motion has three brightness levels plus flashing. I almost always use the lowest of the three levels which is fine for me to see and of course saves on running time, so dimming it that way is impossible. I think that others have also stated that the blinking mode is very disconcerting to approaching traffic and I don’t use it. (Edit after huskerdont's post. mines strobes.)

On occasion I do not twist the light due to the fact that I don’t see the oncoming traffic until the last minute because they themselves don’t have a light or often even useful reflectors. This happens mainly with pedestrians but sometimes with other cyclists. The Reston area on the W&OD seems to be the worst for some reason — it may just be because there are a lot of people there.

The problem is not nearly as acute on roads as on trails, probably because roads are much wider. When one sees a cyclist on a trail it does not become a problem until (s)he gets quite close. When one gets that close on a road the angle is much greater and it is not a problem. OTOH cars using their brights can be a problem.

15. Likes huskerdont liked this post