Likes Likes:  5,490
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 490 of 524 FirstFirst ... 390440480488489490491492500 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,900 of 5238

Thread: Missed connection

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I could have sworn that a recent thread on this site said it was legal for cyclists to ride through crosswalks in MD. I believe a link to the relevant source was cited too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I could have sworn that a recent thread on this site said it was legal for cyclists to ride through crosswalks in MD. I believe a link to the relevant source was cited too.
    I was the one who posted. And legislation has been passed to make it legal, but the legislation has not yet been signed by the governor.

Post Thanks / Like

My interpretation of Maryland law was that, in fact, a bicycle cannot filter. I admit the language is a bit ambiguous, but I think the most reasonable read would say it's not permitted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    My interpretation of Maryland law was that, in fact, a bicycle cannot filter. I admit the language is a bit ambiguous, but I think the most reasonable read would say it's not permitted.
    Do you have a citation for that? Because the MVA thing I quoted seems to say the opposite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Do you have a citation for that? Because the MVA thing I quoted seems to say the opposite.
    That's not how I read what it said. It said IF you're going to, then this is what you should do. Not that you can. Looking for the cite, which as I remember says only one vehicle may be in a lane at a time. Bikes are "vehicles." There are other statutes that say two bicycles can be in a lane, or two motorcycles, but no where does it say a bike can enter a lane in which there is another vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

That's not how I read what it said. It said IF you're going to, then this is what you should do. Not that you can. Looking for the cite, which as I remember says only one vehicle may be in a lane at a time. Bikes are "vehicles." There are other statutes that say two bicycles can be in a lane, or two motorcycles, but no where does it say a bike can enter a lane in which there is another vehicle.
    Well, I interpret "if you are going to" as meaning that you are allowed to. They wouldn't give you instructions about, "If you are going to run a red light, here is what you should do," for example.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I was the one who posted. And legislation has been passed to make it legal, but the legislation has not yet been signed by the governor.
    Thanks for the clarification. Insane that the DMV has such a patchwork of conflicting laws.

Post Thanks / Like

I've now spent way too much time on this, and while it's not specifically forbidden, it's also not specifically allowed. So the default interpretation would hold, that as a "vehicle" a cyclist has to follow laws of general application to vehicles. So, in conclusion, you probably can be ticketed in Maryland for filtering.

Post Thanks / Like

And the thing is, if he gives me a ticket (no matter how unjustified), I have to take off from work to contest it.
    Could you sue him for lost time from work? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

I've now spent way too much time on this, and while it's not specifically forbidden, it's also not specifically allowed. So the default interpretation would hold, that as a "vehicle" a cyclist has to follow laws of general application to vehicles. So, in conclusion, you probably can be ticketed in Maryland for filtering.
    Just ran across this, from a personal injury lawyer:
    The fact is, lane splitting is a common practice among motorcyclists. The strange thing about it is that it is neither really legal nor illegal—in fact, the only state that expressly allows it is California. Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia never even mention lane splitting, which leaves a lot of room for police officers or judges to interpret the law as they see fit.
    While the statement directly refers only to motorcycles, I'm sure the law is equally murky for bicycles.