Likes Likes:  5,210
Dislikes Dislikes:  63
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 507 of 509 FirstFirst ... 7407457497505506507508509 LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,070 of 5089

Thread: Missed connection

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    But cars must always be faster than bikes.
    This morning, as usual, a car passed me on the crest of the hill on 31st Street just east of Abingdon in Fairlington, IE just before the steep (for me anyway) descent. Usually I catch up to those cars as they slow for the speed bumps, and when we get to level ground (together) I shrug at them.

This woman was driving a 4WD vehicle, and obviously expected to just cruise right over the speed bumps at speed, so she COULD have zipped down the hill faster than me (I don't do 40MPH down that, or any other, hill). Except she ended up behind an old sedan that had no intention of speeding over speed bumps, and a bus in front of him. So I still was right behind her the whole way down.

2. Likes streetsmarts, dbb, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    as usual, a car passed me on the crest of the hill on 31st Street just east of Abingdon in Fairlington, IE just before the steep (for me anyway) descent.
    Pass these drivers at the speedbumps on the downhill. Bonus points if you yell at them that they should stay off the roads if they can't keep up with the speed limit.

4. Likes huskerdont, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Pass these drivers at the speedbumps on the downhill. Bonus points if you yell at them that they should stay off the roads if they can't keep up with the speed limit.
    This is easy as well since bikes (at least every bike I've ridden) can go over speed bumps faster than any car I've driven.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    This woman was driving a 4WD vehicle, and obviously expected to just cruise right over the speed bumps at speed, so she COULD have zipped down the hill faster than me (I don't do 40MPH down that, or any other, hill). Except she ended up behind an old sedan that had no intention of speeding over speed bumps, and a bus in front of him. So I still was right behind her the whole way down.
    It's more fun with sedans, which are closer to handlebar height, but it's in cases like that I especially enjoy having a bright, flashing headlight that just happens to be pointed right at their mirrors.

Post Thanks / Like

You: Two cyclists who abandoned your bikes with some weed on June 21.

According to Vienna Police(PDF), "The marijuana and paraphernalia were turned over to the property officer for destruction." So it's safe to come out now and pick them up!
    Last edited by n18; 09-06-2018 at 02:17 PM.

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You: The cyclist out for an afternoon ride on the MVT who stole my Brooks saddle from the bike rack at Roosevelt Island Friday afternoon 9/14. And you had to be a cyclist to be on the MVT in the middle of the day with the knowledge of what a Brooks saddle is and the tools to steal it. You're not dumb.

Me: The guy who that morning found his office receptionist face down at her desk in a pool of vomit and had to yell for help, call 9-1-1, tell his coworkers what to do, get her on the floor to start CPR, watch the EMTs try to revive her and take her to the hospital, clean up her desk, and then interview with the MPD detective after she didn't make it. I left work early and went to Roosevelt Island, my serenity place, to clear my head. And that's when you decided to intersect your life with mine.

Your karma's fucked. Rot in hell.

10. Likes mikoglaces liked this post
    Dislikes PeteD, Sunyata, josh disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    You: The cyclist out for an afternoon ride on the MVT who stole my Brooks saddle from the bike rack at Roosevelt Island Friday afternoon 9/14. And you had to be a cyclist to be on the MVT in the middle of the day with the knowledge of what a Brooks saddle is and the tools to steal it. You're not dumb.

Me: The guy who that morning found his office receptionist face down at her desk in a pool of vomit and had to yell for help, call 9-1-1, tell his coworkers what to do, get her on the floor to start CPR, watch the EMTs try to revive her and take her to the hospital, clean up her desk, and then interview with the MPD detective after she didn't make it. I left work early and went to Roosevelt Island, my serenity place, to clear my head. And that's when you decided to intersect your life with mine.

Your karma's fucked. Rot in hell.
    Egad! Condolences and more condolences!

12. Likes ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brendan, I'm so sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Good grief, what a nightmare in so many ways. Really sorry, Brendan. w&w

Post Thanks / Like

Brendan, oh my lord, so sorry. To have a tragedy like that, and then the added insult to injury provided by the "opportunist"...